BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

I seen to be sensitive to helmet shapes and sizing as my Medium Shoei X-14 has a hot spot in front so I am trying to get a helmet I like and is also comfortable; I am hoping it will break in and the problem will resolve itself in time. Supposedly the Arai Signet-Q (long oval) would work, but I'd like to think my 57 cm (medium) head can work with a more standard helmet. The Signet-Q is pretty plain helmet with limited supply.

Here is a chart of helmet shapes, that I found when trying to find helmet options. You might use this as reference point when you are considering helmets..

Motorcycle Helmet Shapes - webBikeWorld

Bell offers a custom fitted helmet, but I believe this is only for their Star, in carbon.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
In response to some comments in another thread regarding Shoei / Arai shapes:

Have you tried the Corsair X on?

I was not an Arai shaped head either and typically wear an AGV, however I just picked up the 2016 IOM TT Corsair X and it is a perfect fit.

From the link above, some shapes for some common Arai / Shoei helmets:

1. Shoei RF-1200 & X-14: Slightly Narrow
2. Arai Corsair V: Slightly round
3. Arai Corsair V Nicky and Arai V 2015 Isle of Man TT: Slightly Narrow
4. Arai Corsair X: Neutral

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,120 Posts
Arai have a smooshed nose feel. They have little room between your face and the front of the helmet. Shoei has much more front room. A larger gap bewteen your nose/mouth the front of the helmet.

·
Registered
286 Posts
To the OP; if you're getting a significant hotspot in the first few minutes of having the helmet on, it's not something break-in will resolve...the helmet just doesn't fit.

I went through something similar a few years ago. Bought a Shoei RF-1100 based on looks and price point without taking the time to see how it really fit, and sure enough had an awful forehead hotspot and the sides of the helmet didn't fit correctly at all once the cheek pads were out. Went to a local shop with a reputation for actually fitting helmets and tried on an Arai Profile, which was a revelation and felt like it was made for me. Having a head that doesn't fall into the standard "intermediate oval" shape sucks since it severely limits helmet selection and you miss out on most of the cool graphics, but I'd much rather accept that and have a comfortable and safe helmet.

It's worth noting for your search that a replacement for the Signet-Q is due out soon, if you can wait. Also, if your budget allows for it, spend some time trying on the Corsair X, which is what I recently switched to. They changed the shape enough from the Corsair V that if you're on the border of long and intermediate oval, there's a good chance it'll fit well, especially with the availability of different thickness liners and cheek pads.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Icon Airmada is another long oval type. If you get a hotspot wearing the Shoei, you would probably benefit from the Signet, it is only 5mm longer btw. And is in teh process of being phased out. Arai states they'll have something else for 2017, but you might find a good deal on a closeout Signet soon.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Icon Airmada is another long oval type. If you get a hotspot wearing the Shoei, you would probably benefit from the Signet, it is only 5mm longer btw. And is in teh process of being phased out. Arai states they'll have something else for 2017, but you might find a good deal on a closeout Signet soon.
Thx. Agree, I bought an Arai Signet-Q Zero that I found in Canada. As point out, not many left. I am NOT in love with the helmet, but I want to ensure I have something I am very comfortable with, and this is a possibility. For me, I've realized finding the right fitting helmet is a process--it won't happen in a store, but I probably need to wear it for a while. My X-14 I had on for at least 30-min, but I realize it starts to get a little uncomfortable, especially as I move from semi-upright to a more tucked position and the helmet "rotates" with considerable friction at my forehead. I am getting better at identifying the features that make a helmet uncomfortable, but it still hard to do in the store. Most people are more lucky than I am, since I am apparently cranially challenged. :grin2:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crannially challenged

To the OP; if you're getting a significant hotspot in the first few minutes of having the helmet on, it's not something break-in will resolve...the helmet just doesn't fit.

I went through something similar a few years ago. Bought a Shoei RF-1100 based on looks and price point without taking the time to see how it really fit, and sure enough had an awful forehead hotspot and the sides of the helmet didn't fit correctly at all once the cheek pads were out. Went to a local shop with a reputation for actually fitting helmets and tried on an Arai Profile, which was a revelation and felt like it was made for me. Having a head that doesn't fall into the standard "intermediate oval" shape sucks since it severely limits helmet selection and you miss out on most of the cool graphics, but I'd much rather accept that and have a comfortable and safe helmet.

It's worth noting for your search that a replacement for the Signet-Q is due out soon, if you can wait. Also, if your budget allows for it, spend some time trying on the Corsair X, which is what I recently switched to. They changed the shape enough from the Corsair V that if you're on the border of long and intermediate oval, there's a good chance it'll fit well, especially with the availability of different thickness liners and cheek pads.
Thx for reading. Helmet/head shape and fit are really important topics. I agree with all your points. Also consider:
1. For me, looks/appeal do matter. The Arai Signet-Q series is lacking in style, despite that it MAY be the right fit.
2. I did order an Arai Signet-Q zero. It should arrive this week. I'll have to see if it fits well.
3. As you indicate, The Corsair-X MAY provide just enough room that it is OK. I am considering that helmet. I can feel a slight hot spot in the helmet, but it is SLIGHT based on my limited in-store trial and seems better than my X-14.
4. I haven't given up on my Shoe X-14. It is not like it is TOTALLY not fitting--it can just be a little uncomfortable at my forehead. It isn't obvious at first, but builds over time. I can ride 2 hrs in it, but by that time, it is uncomfortable on my forehead and fit can surely be better. Unfortunately for me, this a process--I can't just walk in and buy helmet, though I am getting better at recognizing what will and won't work.

Thx again for the good comments. All are very relevant.

·
8,414 Posts
Go to a store and try helmets out. Keep them on for about 5-10min, if no hot spots you're good.

I tried many helmets until I found one that fits. If you have a Dainese store, they carry AGV helmets. AGV is one of few brands that have med small, med large. Looks like med small is what will fit you. It's good for oval and neutral head shapes. I was between a small and med small. AGV Pista has adjustable liner, includes extra pads. A small is a snug fit for me, but after customizing it, it fits perfectly.

I notice most riders buy wrong helmet sizes. Sizing charts are not always correct. In case of AGV Pista and SR2 they were correct in my case.

Give AGV or Schuberth a shot. SR2 is coming out soon, I tried it at an event and it's a great helmet. If you cannot wait, check out AGV Pista or SR1. Arai and Shoe gave me hot spots after few min of trying.

https://www.schuberth.com/us/products/motorbikes/helmets/sr2.html

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
ARAI Signet-X

That something else is called the Arai Signet-X. It is now referenced on their webpage. It appeared in the last day or two. The helmet graphics are about as lame and boring as it gets. Note to self: the cool graphics don't matter, just focus on the shape and fit. You will be fine with a nice, B-O-R-I-N-G matte black one. *SIGH*

https://www.araiamericas.com/helmets

·
Banned
631 Posts
I understand the standard shape for both Arai and Shoei is now intermediate oval. Both do make different versions for rounders heads etc too.

I have both brands and have found the Arai vs Shoei head is largely gone

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Arai Helmet Shape Flexibility: Signet-X and Quantum-X

I understand the standard shape for both Arai and Shoei is now intermediate oval. Both do make different versions for rounders heads etc too.

I have both brands and have found the Arai vs Shoei head is largely gone
Yes, I largely agree. However, to Arai's credit, in addition to the standard "intermediate oval", Arai offers both a long oval (Signet-Q now Signet-X) and also a round oval (Quantum-X). So Arai seems to recognize the reality of the nonstandard headshapes.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I very recently picked up an Arai Brett King Signet model from Ridersdiscount for a ridiculous $368, Revzilla had been asking over $700 for this until just recently.
(just checked, they're still asking $599 at Revzilla) I'm 51 and not really into wild Rossi style graphics, at least not on me

My previous Signet Q was the boring black, nothing wrong with that at all, it looked very sharp with the mirrored visor IMO.
Back when I started riding, I don't even remember graphics, I think everything was solid then.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should go for a helmet that offers intermediate oval shapes. If you are long oval, you can check out Scorpion EXO R2000 or Icon Airflite Helmet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts