BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2020 sk1rr in hockenheim silver with the race package.
I am excited!!
I've read a bunch and asked a bunch of questions but I welcome any advice!

Exhaust? Opinions?? I want LOUD

Does it really need a tune? Dealer says no...

The M seat? I have saddlemen GP track seat, now should I get the M seat? Worth it?

The Metzler tires? I'm coming from Bridgestone.. are they grippy enough?

Stompgrip??

Thanks everyone.
C

·
Registered
217 Posts
Welcome!!!

Awesome choice on a new ride. Congrats! Post up some pics!

Im not up on the newer bikes as I just have a '12 and just got it used this spring for a track bike. The previous owner put stompgrip on the tank. ive left it on and i think i get a little better grip with it but its always been there so dont know what this bikes like without it. Been seriously thinking about just pulling it off but haven't. if I do i can report back what its like.

Enjoy!!

·
Vendor
3,016 Posts
Welcome and excellent choice on the K67.

Cant go wrong on most any exhaust these days.

Akraprovic with the MotoGP style muffler is loud ( this the one I have on one of my K67 )
Austin Racing shorty

Let me know if I can help you with that ECU work you might want for getting rid of that 2nd and 3rd gear lagging.

·
Registered
40 Posts
congrats!
As already said you have a ton of options for loud exhausts. I typically recommend sticking with acrapovic as they work closely with manufacturers when designing the exhausts and tend to make the most power.
personally I find the gp can to have a bit of a ‘tinny’ noise to it and the race muffler does make a little more hp thanks to back pressure.

You’ll definitely want a tune to get rid of that flat spot. Your options are aftermarket (the best option) or bmw torque map which will come at the expense of peak horsepower.

the aftermarket mods scene for this bike is massive and a great website is motomillion.com as they have practically every option from most brands.

the metzlers treated me great and lasted a solid 2500 miles.

be prepared to buy a new windscreen because the stock one is useless. Also look into protecting your asset such as radiator/ oil cooler guards and slide protection.

·
Vendor
3,016 Posts
be prepared to buy a new windscreen because the stock one is useless. Also look into protecting your asset such as radiator/ oil cooler guards and slide protection.
This should be a 1st and for everyone to do. There is K46 issues documented on this forum of even someone own front tire throwing a rock into the radiator and putting a hole in it.

Reactions: Littlebitoquickness

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Already have the rad and oil cooler guards coming. Been stranded before because of a rock strike before. Going with GB racing for covers. Love the bike wanna keep it safe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
congrats!
As already said you have a ton of options for loud exhausts. I typically recommend sticking with acrapovic as they work closely with manufacturers when designing the exhausts and tend to make the most power.
personally I find the gp can to have a bit of a ‘tinny’ noise to it and the race muffler does make a little more hp thanks to back pressure.

You’ll definitely want a tune to get rid of that flat spot. Your options are aftermarket (the best option) or bmw torque map which will come at the expense of peak horsepower.

the aftermarket mods scene for this bike is massive and a great website is motomillion.com as they have practically every option from most brands.

the metzlers treated me great and lasted a solid 2500 miles.

Going with the BMW torque .. dont need total hp.

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
Congrats, best of luck with it and enjoying it! Oh, and don't ask the dealer to remove the limiter before the first service....just sayin'... 🤣

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
You might even see someone try to get the dealer to remove it prior to the 600 miles...FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!!!

Reactions: CYCLE_MONKEY

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
This should be a 1st and for everyone to do. There is K46 issues documented on this forum of even someone own front tire throwing a rock into the radiator and putting a hole in it.
In all the years I've never had an issue without one, and neither has anyone I know. Still, I'd get one, except the ones I see don't do much to protect the actual areas that need protecting (the thick horizontal coolant and oil passages) and instead just usually have a general criss-cross "X" pattern. If I saw one that actually had a solid strip of metal in front of every one of those passages (that don't actually shed as much heat as the fins) and had the "X" pattern in front of the fins that can get hit without leaking fluid, I'd buy one. Does someone actually make one like that I haven't seen? If so, let me know and I'll buy it!:)

·
Vendor
3,016 Posts
In all the years I've never had an issue without one, and neither has anyone I know. Still, I'd get one, except the ones I see don't do much to protect the actual areas that need protecting (the thick horizontal coolant and oil passages) and instead just usually have a general criss-cross "X" pattern. If I saw one that actually had a solid strip of metal in front of every one of those passages (that don't actually shed as much heat as the fins) and had the "X" pattern in front of the fins that can get hit without leaking fluid, I'd buy one. Does someone actually make one like that I haven't seen? If so, let me know and I'll buy it!:)
Some people are very lucky in some things.

For me I holed a radiator on every bike I was not smart enough to put the radiator guards in place. That would be about 5 of my GSXR's from 10-14. At that point every bike got some kind of protection.

Then you look at MotoGP even they know a sticky front tire can pick up and throw a rock hard enough to hole a fin in a radiator or the oil cooler. Here is Quartararo bike in some excellent presentation of the protection they take to keep the holes out of the tire area.

·
Banned
4,301 Posts
Some people are very lucky in some things.

For me I holed a radiator on every bike I was not smart enough to put the radiator guards in place. That would be about 5 of my GSXR's from 10-14. At that point every bike got some kind of protection.

Then you look at MotoGP even they know a sticky front tire can pick up and throw a rock hard enough to hole a fin in a radiator or the oil cooler. Here is Quartararo bike in some excellent presentation of the protection they take to keep the holes out of the tire area.
Wow, you've been as UNlucky as I've been lucky! Like I said, I just haven't been impressed with the ones I've seen, they don't seem to do anything. None of them do more than a token attempt at protecting the only areas that need protection. If I could find one like I described, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. But the ones I've seen cover maybe 5% of the vulnerable areas needed. Now, they might help for LARGE rocks, say, 1/2" or so, but I've always been REALLY carefully about running over ANYTHING, in either the car or bike, and in 30+ years of riding and driving, I only caught one nail or screw on the bike (right after I started riding), and maybe 2 in my cars. I guess I have sharp eyesight because if a patch of tarmac doesn't look right, I avoid it! Oh, and on on roads with "loose gravel", I absolutely CRAWL along on it for that reason.

For the MotoGP and other racers, it makes sense because their tires are SO sticky. I always hated to ride behind my buddy Doug (RIP bro...) because being a cheap [email protected]@rd, he always just bought race take-offs, and that sticky rear tire of his was ALWAYS throwing rocks up at me. I would always just pass him the first time I got a chance and be done with it. I think he finally started using real street tires when he had a scary moment or 2 on cold tires/cold pavement when we were riding in the mountains late in the season. I used take-offs only once, when I was completely dead broke, and had no other choice. I had a couple scary moments and swore I'd never use them again unless I HAD to. Thankfully, I never did.

I've actually been tempted to buy a good guard, measure it for mounting points and bends in the sheet metal, but then design my own as I described where the coolant and oil channels are what's protected. I just think that would end up being probably 3X+ what a guard would cost.

I should probably look again and see if I find one I like now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts