BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There are so many similarities between riding and flying, it's amazing. And the things that get pilots into trouble also infect riders. The FAA has a term for attitudes that lead to problems, called "Hazardous Attitudes". I bring this up because, lately, my riding has improved so much that I'm beginning to expand my riding "envelope", and since this is new, unexplored territory for me, I sometimes come face-to-face with my limitations. Fortunately, I recognize them for what they are, and withdraw into safer, more familiar, territory within the envelope. But it can, and will, continue to expand...hopefully with continuing good outcomes. Riding is a thrill, and riding well is beyond thrilling. Nevertheless, it's sometimes good to review what constitutes a "hazardous attitude". From the FAA description, there are 5 attitudes in this category:

1. Anti-authority: People in this category resent being told what to do, or they regard rules and procedures as unnecessary. (Do you check out your bike and practice emergency procedures regularly?)

2. Impulsivity: People with a need to do something NOW. Without considering the smart way to do something, they do the first thing that comes to mind. (Did you pass that line of cars on impulse, in a corner, with a blind turn ahead?)

3. Invulnerability: "Accidents happen to others...not me." Riders with this attitude are more likely to take risky bets...and often lose.

4. Macho: The need to prove something to others. Oh, boy...see a lot of this in the riding community.

5. Resignation: People with this attitude rely on luck, rather than skill, to get them through a difficult situation.

I've experienced every one of these attitudes, as a pilot, climber and now as a rider. At 70, I know that life is not infinite, and have no wish to make it less finite than it is. Riding the RR in the canyons is a flat-out blast, and often I attack the corners and straights as though I've "got it figured out", but when that happens I think of all that could go wrong. Then I make sure the next corner is well within my personal performance envelope.

Just thought I'd post this, mostly as a reminder to myself, but also to cast light on the fact that everyone here is a brother, and we all want our brothers to be around for the next ride.

:grin2:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Thanks for posting flyryder :) I think that's a great awareness list to review before every ride.

I have experienced all on the list, sometimes all in one day! One of my recent track days, in fact. Got blasted on BARF, rightfully so, after posting video of me riding like it was a race.

Keeping these attitudes in check helps to maintain that extra safety margin which is used to better learn and retain muscle memory improvements and also to account for the random variables that inevitably present themselves at the worst moment. Like a photo op on a corner with gravel

·
4,665 Posts
Those chicken strips though :p

That's a great reminder man. Thanks for sharing! I need to keep that stuff in mind before I send it the next time.

Reactions: flyryder

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those chicken strips though :p

That's a great reminder man. Thanks for sharing! I need to keep that stuff in mind before I send it the next time.
"Chicken strips"...there's a term that lures more riders into hazardous attitudes...

Maybe we should call them "moss" strips, for "margin of safety strips". Scrub 'em on the track, not on the street.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
"Chicken strips"...there's a term that lures more riders into hazardous attitudes...

Maybe we should call them "moss" strips, for "margin of safety strips". Scrub 'em on the track, not on the street.

Thanks for the laugh flyryder. After a 28 year absence from street riding, I was surprised to learn "chicken strips" were a thing. :surprise: In the '80s before there were track days, no one paid any attention to anything other than who was first to the end of the road/ race. :grin2: When I came back, I was stunned that were those on my old racer road that had tires that looked like they just came off the track. They admitted to using timers and posting private videos online. Idiots! It's easy to use all of the tire on the track. On the street, they will likely meet Darwin sooner than they think if they haven't already. :wink2:

Edit: I'm going to add an exception for @bennymx He may be an exception to the rule. :laugh:

·
Administrator
6,767 Posts
Using all of the tyre on the road is quite easy. On any bike. Any tyre. Getting it roughed up and melting is another thing. Requires some fast riding on the road. Lots of guys do track days on their street bikes then go for a ride on the road with melted balls of rubber on their tyres. You can tell they did it on the track because on the road they are so slow.

·
Registered
601 Posts

Heheheh Moss Strips. So good. There is such a misunderstanding around the concept of chicken strips. I'd rather have an inch to spare yet rail around everyone and have them scratch their heads wondering how in the hell.....:grin2::grin2:

·
4,665 Posts

If knee pucks, elbow sliders, and far edge of tires ain't scrubbing, it ain't riding >:)

Not much street riding for me for remaining of 17. Track life lol

Reactions: wfo439

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I ride canyons and, at 70, I'm not exactly dawdling, but I'm not scrubbing that last 3/4" off my tire, either. I wouldn't want to make the attempt to do so, wipe out and take someone else out with me and have my obituary read, "Flyryder was well-known in the canyons around here for his aggressive riding style. It wasn't until he lost his 'chicken strips' that he became a hazard to others. We'd say 'rest in peace', but we're saving that for the innocent victims of his 'no chicken-strip' riding style."

Nope...wouldn't want that on my conscience...

·
4,665 Posts
Die as a real rider > live as a poser haha JK busting your chops :x

My street tires have about quarter of an inch of chicken strips.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Die as a real rider > live as a poser haha JK busting your chops :x

My street tires have about quarter of an inch of chicken strips.
You know, z00...you're alright. People rag you for your attitudes, but I find them refreshingly irreverent.

Busting my chops...no worries, I can take it.

·
4,665 Posts
You know, z00...you're alright. People rag you for your attitudes, but I find them refreshingly irreverent.
It's the insecure posers that rag my attitude, cool dudes like yourself can handle some humor.

There was a rider on my Mon trackday on an old 600 kawi. He passed me few times, we played cat and mouse, he stopped by my pit area to chat after the session. He was 68, he reminded me of you. I was like, damn I hope I can ride half as good as him when I'm 68.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's the insecure posers that rag my attitude, cool dudes like yourself can handle some humor.

There was a rider on my Mon trackday on an old 600 kawi. He passed me few times, we played cat and mouse, he stopped by my pit area to chat after the session. He was 68, he reminded me of you. I was like, damn I hope I can ride half as good as him when I'm 68.
I don't know what it is that makes some "older" people young, and some younger people "old", but I think about being 70 and it just doesn't seem to register. I guess the right mindset, and exercise and a decent diet (wine included) help keep me young...and an appreciation of the "biological imperative" helps, too (you know what I'm talkin' about!).

·
4,665 Posts
I don't know what it is that makes some "older" people young, and some younger people "old", but I think about being 70 and it just doesn't seem to register. I guess the right mindset, and exercise and a decent diet (wine included) help keep me young...and an appreciation of the "biological imperative" helps, too (you know what I'm talkin' about!).

I think it's women, they either make you or break you haha

On a serious note, keep doing what you are doing, it's working.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I think about being 56 in November and it doesn't register either ( other than the knee surgeries and arthritis, but I'm fighting that, not going down without a fight) Keep looking for the rules and regulations manual about getting older but can't seem to locate it. And yes I used the search function
Can't find it when I Google it either. So I decided to just be myself. I get along with all age ranges but unlike bennymx's friends I'm slow, mobile chicane I believe is the correct term. Seriously considering track only, there's not a whole lot of canyons around Houston. Hope I'm still riding at 70. Wish everyone well, y'all( being from TX have to use that, its like a law or something) take care.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts

Busting my chops...no worries, I can take it.

That must be a typo, I'm SURE you meant "irrelevant"..... :)

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Today's youth, they don't like driving dating or having sex. What's wrong with them??? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
too busy riding virtual reality roller coasters and jerking off with virtual reality girls

fine with me, less competition in the real world :grin2:

problem isn't just this country either...saw the same or even worse than SF Bay Area in Athens, Greece. bunch of soft men...the women couldn't keep their eyes off of my 6'5" 195cm 190lbs 85kg corn and beef raised all american super vitality physique LOL

i would consider moving to spain or italy or greece if my kid was serious about racing, but it would be hard to keep it in my pants...got caught flirting over my wife's shoulder and almost had to walk home:surprise:>:) it was just a wink!?!?;):x

1 - 20 of 45 Posts