BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for bike that meets below needs:

- Decent for 2up 2-3 hour rides.
- Handles well when solo, close to sport bike in nimbleness, weight, and agility
- Can be a naked or ADV, not a fan of touring bikes
- Will be ridden on twisties and back roads mainly, no commuting or much highway

Not sure if s1000R, MT10, etc.... would work. Also considering Ducati Multistrada 950s, XR, 850 GS Adv, KTM 1090 Adv R.
Will be riding mainly on pavement, but a bike that can handle some off-roading would be a plus. Prefer a bike that weighs less, 850-1090cc engine. Not a fan of bigger bikes. Got great deals on 2019 Multistrada 950s and S1000R.

2020 Africa Twin ticks all check boxes, but won't be available till the Spring. BMW is revealing the new XR (supposed to be epic) in Nov. So a bike that I can buy now would be preferable. Under $17k. I can wait if there is something worth waiting for.

No access to Aprilia, otherwise I would have gotten a Tuono. V4 Streetfighter would be ideal but not released this year either.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My Tuono is an absolute jizz machine, but I wouldn't put my Mrs on the back for very long.

XR or Multistrada.KTM would be cool but seem overpriced.

Wildcard: R1250RS

·
Registered
879 Posts
Haven't ridden personally but how about the KTM 790? Not a power house(105hp) but heard its incredibly fun to ride. You can choose between the 790 Duke or the new adventure version.

My friend purchased an Africa Twin this year and has put about 7k on it so far and loves it, says its pretty comfortable after a few minor mods. Again not a powerful bike, he had an s1000rr before but still enjoys it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'd skip the multistrada 950, that thing is a friggin lump.

The 1200-1260 engine is multitudes better and not much heavier at all.

I'd try out a XR like Benny said that thing can be a rocket...saw a video of a brentuned one doing 180mph recently. I've also seen some people on the track with them that do pretty darn well...

I could never do that on my Pikes Peak Multi, I can tell you that...160, yeah...but 180? **** no.

·
4,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Met a rider with a KTM 790 Adv that did a trip around the US with his wife. Said bike worked well for some highways, mainly backroads. They both weigh under ~320lbs with gear.

Rode XR, great bike. Just heavy and showing its age. I will be riding mainly solo, occasional 2up rides, so don't think I'll need an all around bike like XR.

New speed triple RS is another option. Will go test ride one next week.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Current XR or wait for the new one. Hands down an absolute weapon. I have ridden them a lot solo and also 2 up. When I ride 2 up on a XR with my wife, my friends on RR's still can't catch me :D
...you need new friends, just sayin'... LOL :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts