BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a fellow member recommended the wheel repair folks, who did a phenomenal job straightening the rear wheel after my little get off in May, I had a local place bling out the set since there was some (very) minor discoloration to the oem finish. Didn’t opt for the extra charge for clear coat since its track only, but still turned out pretty good.
Have to see how they go with the new paint once that’s done…

Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Crankset

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Awesome job! Just wondering about the paint, I'm guessing/hoping the shop went through the prep steps of the wheel before painting? Or was it just wash and slap on paint?
Also, whats the down side of not having the clear coat other than the lustering looks?

·
8,846 Posts
Paint looks great!

Where did you send wheel for repair?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My bad ya'll.. it's powdercoat, not paint. You can paint wheels - I've done it. Might have to dig up that old ass pic....

This is Spanish Gold powdercoat by Auto Envy - Auto Envy Chrome and Powder Coating
Zoo, wheel went to Refinished / Used Factory Alloy Wheels Sales & Repair - Wheel Collision Center and it's as straight as new. maybe better...
With clear, you can get different finishes: matte, satin, gloss, in-betweens... no clear = a satin-esque finish which is what I wanted. And clear was an extra benji so I opted to save that towards my next set.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well crap. Really wanted to try paint too. I’ll wait till I see someone else’s work before I try.
If you prep and paint it right, it’ll hold up okay. Never had issues with the r6 wheels I painted (white!!) but I’d recommend PC regardless.

·
Registered
131 Posts
No different in painting forged or any other wheels, and yes, have painted many sets without issues.

Never even heard that it would not be possible. Key here is enough alcohol and other solvents...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts