BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMW sells their OEM foot pegs for $114.87 each as "Foot peg, left, with foot peg rubber" and Foot peg, right, with foot peg rubber. After ~11,000 miles, this is what both of mine looked like...

...the foot peg rubber is a hollow tube; it ripped in such a way that I first noticed it when I stood up and felt it and my foot move forward. In wet conditions, I went to mount my bike and the rubber boot slide forward enough that my foot slide off the peg; my shin hit the peg and my knee hit the bike's frame. If this had happened while I was in moving, I might have seriously injured something.

This is a designed-in safety problem, so I didn't even consider trying to get them replaced under warranty. Instead, for $192.94, I bought and installed an SW Motech EVO Footrest Kit (Height-adjustable EVO footrests - Kawasaki KLR650 (01-) - SW-MOTECH)...

...these pegs are Wonderful (notice the capitalization). You can use them in any one of four (X,Y) positions where the first digit is front to back and the second digit is up and down: (0,0) (same as OEM), (0,-15mm), (-7.5mm, -7.5mm), (+7.5mm, -7.5mm). I use them in the (-7.5mm, -7.5mm) where they give me a little more room than the (0,0) OEM position. Shifting and braking are both easier for me in this position. You can also separately adjust the tilt of the foot peg; I have mine so they tilt forward by one increment where they seem to match the natural angle of my foot. The rubber insert is removable via a single nut on the bottom if you want a metal enduro style either instead or temporarily. During a 150 mile test ride yesterday, I found the rubber to be Much (again notice the capitalization) better than the OEM pegs; the rubber isolates my feet completely from the engine vibrations I felt with the OEM pegs.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Wow, glad you didn't fall because of it! My KTM has rubber inserts. I took them out because I was riding more dirt and I had gotten my Tech 7 boots. If I do long street rides to get to a destination, I might put them back in, then take them out when I get there, then put them in again for the ride home. There's just a nut on the bottom. Easy.

Do these rubber inserts come out for more dirt use?

I've got a bunch of SW-Motech stuff, starting with the "ring-type" tankbags I first bought for the 'RR, and the one I got for the KTM now. They make nice stuff, I only had a couple I sent back because I didn't like the function of them, not because they failed.

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, the rubber insert is removable via a single nut on the bottom; compliments of SW-Motech's Evo Foot Peg web site listing (but not on an XR), here's what that looks like...

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Yes, the rubber insert is removable via a single nut on the bottom; compliments of SW-Motech's Evo Foot Peg web site listing (but not on an XR), here's what that looks like...
It's not removable on the model for the XR?

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not removable on the model for the XR?
You're right; I wasn't clear the way I wrote that. The rubber piece is removable on the model for the XR. You can see this in SW-Motech's exploded view of the XR version...

...they also provide a spring not pictured here, but you reuse your OEM pin and circlip to install the piece in the upper left to the XR.

Interestingly, this version also fits the Kawasaki KLR650 (01-). I found that out because the email I received when I ordered listed "EVO footrest kit Kawasaki KLR650 (01-)" rather than "EVO footrest kit. BMW S 1000 XR 2X99 (K69) (19-21)". I immediately sent an email query and they confirmed the same kit version fits both bikes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts