BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What hearing are you all using? I'm a track rider and want more performance, but I can't seem to find the BMW racing teams specs anywhere

·
Registered
243 Posts
-1 / +3 Seriously? Gearing depends on the track and how you ride.

I use stock gearing at Thunderhill and am redlining the S1000R on both straight sections, and on the RR cant hardly keep the front wheel on the tarmac. I cant even imagine running lower gearing. If I was -1/+3 on my BMW RR id be hitting redline mid way down the straights!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-1 / +3 Seriously? Gearing depends on the track and how you ride.

I use stock gearing at Thunderhill and am redlining the S1000R on both straight sections, and on the RR cant hardly keep the front wheel on the tarmac. I cant even imagine running lower gearing. If I was -1/+3 on my BMW RR id be hitting redline mid way down the straights!
I was going to say, wouldn't you lose so much off the top end? It wouldn't even be worth it I feel like.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I run -1 +2 at thill. It likes to wheelie so you have to adjust the suspension for that. It does help keep the bike in the power band though. I'm running a 2.00 lap there. On the next bike with all the low end torque i'll probably just do a -1 on the front because I am never going do 180+ mph. I'm banging off the rev limiter in 5th gear at 159 mph!

·
Vendor
3,375 Posts
What hearing are you all using? I'm a track rider and want more performance, but I can't seem to find the BMW racing teams specs anywhere
Gear Ratios are suited to the TRACK you are riding on.

Performance in gearing is only based on the change of the feel torque is delivered to the rear wheel. You go from a 3.00 to a 4.00 the feel will change alot coming off the corners. However, you give up top end speed alot.

So, you select your gearing based on the longest straight first. Lets take COTA for example in TEXAS. With the track being 3.4 miles long, and the longest straight between turn 11 and 12, you need to make 196MPH down that straight way to even come close to a good lap time there. Stock gearing will just barely get you there coming off 11 with a very good drive. stock gearing is 17/45 or 2.64 ratio

Now lets take Cresson TEXAS. 1.7 mile track. Longest straight is about 140MPH. Corner to corner drive is very critical there. So gearing going to a "lower' gear ratio makes using gears 1-5 better. Like there I run 15/45 or 3.00 ratio

Now to complicate some things about target use of gearing, I avoid 1st gear if all possible. So, I change the gearing to even 3.13 or 15/47. So why avoid 1st gear? The dreaded neutral you are trying to avoid. I had a GSXR that just refused to shift right from 2nd to 1st. So in order to avoid 1st, I just set the gearing so I used 2nd-6th gears. Never had an issue that way with hitting neutral.

There is no gearing number that fits all tracks, and then works great in all circumstances on the street. If you want to wheelie alot with ease and still make 176MPH top end, 15/45 works great. it is what I use on the street and Cresson racetrack.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you are a average track day rider, use only one gear ratio for all the tracks you are riding.
It is much easier to learn to ride when bike has the same characteristics all the time.

But, of course you can change gearing ratio all the time, at least it will make you feel good, if that is your thing.

I have had the same gearing ratio in my s1k for two years on different tracks, and I'm faster than 95% of track day riders (I have been track riding 12 seasons). Maybe that is THE performance gearing ratio?
I'm not sure, but I think it is -1 in front and +something at rear.
Anyway, it is fast(?) gearing ratio.

If you have stock ecu, the stock DTC settings is the first problem when you are trying to get more performance out of your bike at a track. Gearing ratio will not help you on that.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Just so people are clear changing a front is three times as effective than changing a rear. Each rear cog is worth ~3mph down on your top speed. Each front is ~10mph

1 - 9 of 9 Posts