BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I grew up over there, lived in WA again for a while, rode around a bit on a VFR for a while before moving back East. Where do you go to find some decent twisties? Down South?

And yes, everything we buy for our bikes is expensive in Australia !

·
Registered
2017 rr
311 Posts
I too spend a few years there, working construction in Perth though I spent the first 6 months in Albany, pronounced Al bany, not All bany lol. That was in the 1980's and I rode a kwaka 1000 Z1R-II It was fun riding but there aren't many twisties there, except on the west coast down south. For twisties you need mountains and there just aint any there except the Stirling's and the single mostly straight road that runs between them, at least back then. No waterfalls worth mentioning either of course. But the roads were smooth and I bet they still are.

Welcome BT, hope you enjoy the riding. I found the hard suspension took a little getting used to but I wouldn't swap it out now even if I could, the bike is just so stable in the corners it's like it's on rails. Best bike I have ever owned, streets ahead of the rest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the forum, I grew up over there, lived in WA again for a while, rode around a bit on a VFR for a while before moving back East. Where do you go to find some decent twisties? Down South?

And yes, everything we buy for our bikes is expensive in Australia !
Love VFR’s great bikes! Yeah it’s slim pickings over here for riding routes! I live in Perth metro so it’s a bit of a trek to venture too far down south but I’ll ride to Serpentine dam sometimes and other times up to mundaring weir. I used to live in Sydney a while back but haven’t really ridden there, from what I hear the riding’s great!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I too spend a few years there, working construction in Perth though I spent the first 6 months in Albany, pronounced Al bany, not All bany lol. That was in the 1980's and I rode a kwaka 1000 Z1R-II It was fun riding but there aren't many twisties there, except on the west coast down south. For twisties you need mountains and there just aint any there except the Stirling's and the single mostly straight road that runs between them, at least back then. No waterfalls worth mentioning either of course. But the roads were smooth and I bet they still are.

Welcome BT, hope you enjoy the riding. I found the hard suspension took a little getting used to but I wouldn't swap it out now even if I could, the bike is just so stable in the corners it's like it's on rails. Best bike I have ever owned, streets ahead of the rest.
Cheers frankinOz, yeah it’s a great bike so steady and holds a line like a scalpel. I’m hoping to eventually upgrade to the second gen K67 when they come out I figure most of the issues would’ve been ironed out by then! Yeah WA is super flat and lots of straight roads. Definitely not ideal on a motorcycle!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Cheers frankinOz, yeah it’s a great bike so steady and holds a line like a scalpel. I’m hoping to eventually upgrade to the second gen K67 when they come out I figure most of the issues would’ve been ironed out by then! Yeah WA is super flat and lots of straight roads. Definitely not ideal on a motorcycle!
You might consider some track days? Barbagallo and Collie are pretty good fun lots of training available too. Perth is just too congested this time of year unfortunately.

·
Registered
2017 rr
311 Posts
Riding WA was actually a lot of fun, but I wasn't on a sports bike of course. All the old jap bikes had a very upright position and were suited for touring and that's what's best about WA, you can ride for hours and hours, or days and days, and see nothing but blackboys and wildflowers (in season) and then you're at some little town, perhaps on the beach, too cool, a total adventure.

I dropped out in 83 and rode over there from qld with no plans, just a pair of saddlebags with some cloths and tools. It was the most freedom I have ever experienced. No insurance, no service schedules, just you and the bike and thousands of miles of new road in front of you. Then I got married ^%#*#@% Big Mistake!!

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,480 Posts
I did a GS/TS Safari with BMW over there a few years ago. Was a great event. I climbed the Bicentennial Tree in full bike gear while I was there. Great view. We did Perth down to Busselton and finished in Albany. Then had to do the long ride from Albany back to Perth to fly home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts