BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this doesn't go under "Rider Improvement...", but maybe it does. How often do street/canyon riders think about how fuel levels impact performance and handling? MotoGP riders do think about it, and plan for the impact weight has on cornering and tire wear. As a canyon rider, I don't think about it...I just ride. But sometimes - when my fuel is down to a half tank or less - I wonder if I'm attributing my easier turn-in and overall "skill" level to the fact that my bike weighs about 12 pounds less than it did when I began the ride.

Anybody (not racers/track riders) think about this in the routine scheme of things?

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
When I go for a ride, I go for a ride and usually end up quite a ways from a gas station. The little loss in performance because of the extra weight of the fuel in my mind is more than offset by not having to worry about running out of gas. In my younger days I can remember a 5 mi moonlight push (Not out of gas) and I'd like to not re live that. Also if you're pushing it on the street to the point the 15 pounds of extra gas really makes a difference it's time to do a track day.

Useless things - Runway behind you, Altitude above you and Gas still in the Truck (unless you're on fire) :)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts