BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find any info on running drag straps with DDC on my 2016 Premium only info for strapping the bike down for transport.

Has anyone used front straps while riding a new S1K with DDC? Any tips or issues?

Thanks!

·
Vendor
3,226 Posts
I am an idiot. Read the "only for transport" and ran with it. I can't imagine the DDC would like the bike strapped down. Valving might start going crazy?

Another guy buying DDC when they should have opted for standard forks.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
It seems to me that you found the perfect use for your new bike here:

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/1604905-post1.html

I would forget the straps and use the drag strip (unstrapped) to practice your starts for when you decide to road race. :wink2:

If drag racing was your primary interest, @the_gooch was right.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
It seems to me that you found the perfect use for your new bike here:

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/1604905-post1.html

I would forget the straps and use the drag strip (unstrapped) to practice your starts for when you decide to road race. :wink2:

If drag racing was your primary interest, @the_gooch was right.
What he said ∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

Which discipline interests you more?

If it's hitting an apex, straps are of no use. If it's dragracing, should have gone with conventional suspension. Straps, in my not so humble opinion, are a crutch, and is prohibitive to actually learning how to launch properly. I've never done it, and still can't show what a great launch is to someone else.
:nerd:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just had some installed on mine only pull it down with the key in the on and release them before I turn the bike off I haven had any issues but it's only been a week with them on lol and only strap when racing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just had some installed on mine only pull it down with the key in the on and release them before I turn the bike off I haven had any issues but it's only been a week with them on lol and only strap when racing.
Thanks! It's nice to get some helpful information ;)

For the rest of you I like to use my bike in more ways than one and it turns out the bike is great at more than just one thing :)

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
So just to clarify, you have them on the front end of a ddc bike?

EDIT: Just noticed your GOLD (=DDC) forks in your avatar

I'm trying to understand.........once you make your pass, and go back into the pits, before you turn off the bike, you release tension on the straps? No error messages in the display as you ride with the front cinched down, making a pass or while you ride back to the pits?

When you're not at the track, do you remove them from the bike?

I'm only asking to understand, because I don't recall anybody ever posting here about cinching down the front of an HP4 or 15-16 with DDC.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Correct I strap before I I race and once all done before I turn the bike off I release the front with a push of the button on the straps n back to stock i have not had a issue yet. Form what I understand the rear has the level sensor if u lower or mess with the back height It will throw ddc error message from what I heard.

·
Super Moderator
9,640 Posts
Front still adjusts electronically. I would be concerned with damaging the front end by keeping it strapped down. It's working against the electronics.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yea my buddy had been running his for a few thousand miles just using it for passes down the dragstrip. He has not had any issues which is what led me to give it a shot. I agree that it may work against it but for the short passes we have not had issues yet as for long term I will keep u updated.

·
Registered
850 Posts
One big word: Just be careful when lowering the rear of a bike which has a DDC suspension. We lowered an HP4 to nearly the max possible to be drag tested but forgot to change the setting of the suspension to be soft and within riding it slowly for around less than 10 min the rear shock broke from the joint :serious: We then put a normal shock in place and tested the bike, it managed 8.6s with a worn clutch.
We also lowered the bike from the front from the forks and using a front strap and didn't have any problem but because the rear DDC wasn't working, a warning DDC sign was showing on the dash all the time and we couldn't see the temp of the engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts