BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems that 2 brands available in Australia, R&G and Evotech, which don't require fairing modification to install. Any views on which are better?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have seen a video on YT in which an Evotech one held up in a track crash. No damage was done to the frame and the sliders also did not deform.
But California Superbike school used R&Gs on their S1000RRs.
Hope that helps somewhat.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I put the R&G on my 2020 RR because I like them on my K1300S and that CSS uses them on their fleet. I spoke to their master mechanic who says that they've had very good performance out of them. I imagine they have a few dozen crashes each year and so have a lot of experience. I also got the R&G engine covers for the same reason.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Thanks. It seems the GB Racing sliders require the fairing to be modified. I'll check Gilles but may be unavailable in Australia.
If you ride on track, GB racing is the best option as they don't stick out too much.

Otherwise Gilles looks very smart with their progressive impact inlay design.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Wings are carbon and crack immediately on contact. Sticking out frame sliders is a bad thing, as they can stuck into uneven surface when bike slides causing it to flip making more damage.
Frame sliders are a two-edged sword. You are correct that they can cause more damage by catching hard surfaces, causing the bike to flip and/or bend the frame.

They certainly mitigate damage in drops and normal lower-speed lowsides. Hard/catchey surfaces are rare in track environments, so they also help there. Higher speed crashes on the street are pot luck it seems.

I have both R&G sliders and engine case covers on my RR. In almost 200K miles, I've never crashed a bike, but this must have a good bit of luck component to it. I know that as I put more track and street miles on with increased aggressiveness, crashes are inevitable, and I've bet that protective gear, both for the bike and me, will be net beneficial.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Frame sliders are a two-edged sword. You are correct that they can cause more damage by catching hard surfaces, causing the bike to flip and/or bend the frame.

They certainly mitigate damage in drops and normal lower-speed lowsides. Hard/catchey surfaces are rare in track environments, so they also help there. Higher speed crashes on the street are pot luck it seems.

I have both R&G sliders and engine case covers on my RR. In almost 200K miles, I've never crashed a bike, but this must have a good bit of luck component to it. I know that as I put more track and street miles on with increased aggressiveness, crashes are inevitable, and I've bet that protective gear, both for the bike and me, will be net beneficial.
Catchey surface in track is grass and/or hard rocks that is all over the place ...

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
MotoGP bikes do not have sliders and typically flip during a crash - spectacularly so.

At the national level in the States few use frame sliders as the classes are competitive enough the riders prefer the weight savings. Their bikes regularly flip or roll during a crash.

Club racers typically use sliders, engine savers, etc. as the potential to limit damage is worth the tradeoff.

Whether a bike slides or flips depends on the nature of the crash (low side, high side, speed, etc.), track surface, and more. That is, random luck.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Catchey surface in track is grass and/or hard rocks that is all over the place ...
It's relative. Tracks don't have raised curbs, shrubs and trees, level changes at the edge of the track, etc. that tend to be more catchy where the downside of frame sliders show themselves. Many continue smooth asphalt beyond the track boundary before getting into dirt/gravel.

Anyway, it's a pick your poison across the spectrum of risk. Since I installed both sliders and covers on my 2020 RR, I'm obviously betting that I will crash at some point and that, on average, they will reduce my damage enough to justify their purchase. I certainly don't add them for their looks.

MotoGP crashes tend to be more violent/spectacular (lots of tumbling) because of the higher speeds, far more riding aggressiveness (lean angles, faster transitions, racing/collisions) and less traction control intervention. Though we also have Marquez's very tame lowside at COTA turn 12 earlier in the year where sliders would have made 93 emerge unscathed (a drop from a lean of 70 degrees is not much especially at relatively low speed). It's all in the velocity squared part of the energy equation.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is anecdotal, but sliders and case covers have saved me many thousands more than they have cost me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've seen the result of frame slider trashing a bike at Phillip Island in the hay shed with a simple low side. As soon as the bike hit the grass it flipped a good 2 or three times.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've seen the result of frame slider trashing a bike at Phillip Island in the hay shed with a simple low side. As soon as the bike hit the grass it flipped a good 2 or three times.
How do you know the frame slider caused the flipping? Sincere question.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts