BMW S1000RR Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you Gregg. I am loving it. My wife says that will fade. I don't think so!
The longer I ride my RR the more I like it, as you fine tune your riding skills and get familiar with the bike it just keeps getting better. Some advice! Just “Don’t“ baby it, when your comfortable use it like it was meant to be used, fast and hard with full rpm range, this is what it was designed for and you really start to enjoy it.

·
Registered
Aprilia RSV4 Factory, BMW S1000RR
14 Posts
Hello All:

My name is Dean, I just recently moved to the Claremont (Inland Empire) area from Northern Ca, Silicon Valley/ San Francisco area. I‘d moved to oversea for a couple years, and now had moved back to the US in LA area. My birthday was yesterday, as I turned 59 years old but I still ride almost everyday. I’m looking to group up with some riders near my age and enjoy riding together...I know nothing about roads to ride around here accept somebody mentioned to me about “Angeles Crest”. I’m guessing that it sounds similar to “Skyline” on Santa Cruz mountain in northern CA. I have taken Keith Code‘s CSS about six times for about the last 15 years or so...looking to re-start track day again:

1). What are the best track circuits in the LA area, which is more suitable my riding style ? I see that there is some track days coming up (2021) at “Street of Willow Spring” by CSS. Is March weather good to do track days in this area ?

2). Any small group of older riders like myself would like to meet up in the weekend - also some weekday afternoon (I currently work from home, for now until Covid-19 gets better).

3). I current own a 2010 Aprilia RSV4 and a 2013 BMW S1000RR. I used to have up to five bikes but sold off my two Ducatis and Honda CBR 1000RR.

I‘ve been a member on this forum since 2009, but had not spending too much times chatting due my busy work, and constantly traveling (Internationally) for work. I look forward to hang out with other alike riders again and learn more about new bikes and accessories

Best,

·
Registered
2004 BMW R1150R, 2017 BMW R1200GS, 2020 BMW S1000RR
151 Posts
I no longer live in Southern CA, but lived there for about 12/13 years. The Los Angeles Crest road is great, but it might be a bit chilly, with a chance of snow, at this time of year. You might also want to consider Topanga Canyon Road, Mulholland Road, and Ortega Highway. Once you crossover from Ortega Hwy into Temecula, you can continue down to Palomar. Also a great road where you will find the Palomar Observatory. Great place to visit. From Palomar you can head out to Wrightwood (good chance of snow this time of year), but now the ride starts getting a bit on the long side. On Mulholland Road you will find The Rock Store. Great meeting place for motorcycle riders of all types. You will find many bikes there. From everyday bikes to some very nice exotics and historic bikes. In Orange County, there is also Cook's Corner. Similar to The Rock Store. At the peak of Ortega Hwy, there is the Lookout. Also a good place for motorcycle riders with pretty good food, although the service is slow (or at least it was when I lived there 20 years ago). As far as race tracks goes, the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Willow Springs. Good luck with your search.
P.S. Welcome back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello All:

My name is Dean, I just recently moved to the Claremont (Inland Empire) area from Northern Ca, Silicon Valley/ San Francisco area. I‘d moved to oversea for a couple years, and now had moved back to the US in LA area. My birthday was yesterday, as I turned 59 years old but I still ride almost everyday. I’m looking to group up with some riders near my age and enjoy riding together...I know nothing about roads to ride around here accept somebody mentioned to me about “Angeles Crest”. I’m guessing that it sounds similar to “Skyline” on Santa Cruz mountain in northern CA. I have taken Keith Code‘s CSS about six times for about the last 15 years or so...looking to re-start track day again:

1). What are the best track circuits in the LA area, which is more suitable my riding style ? I see that there is some track days coming up (2021) at “Street of Willow Spring” by CSS. Is March weather good to do track days in this area ?

2). Any small group of older riders like myself would like to meet up in the weekend - also some weekday afternoon (I currently work from home, for now until Covid-19 gets better).

3). I current own a 2010 Aprilia RSV4 and a 2013 BMW S1000RR. I used to have up to five bikes but sold off my two Ducatis and Honda CBR 1000RR.

I‘ve been a member on this forum since 2009, but had not spending too much times chatting due my busy work, and constantly traveling (Internationally) for work. I look forward to hang out with other alike riders again and learn more about new bikes and accessories

Best,
59 yo and I live in Riverside. Just did a track day at Chuckwalla which is 2-1/4 hours from your house. Great track. If you don't want the lessons of CSS ,check out TrackDaz, 2WheelTrackDays and Track Experience. They all put on great track days. March is a roll of the dice for weather, could be A. amazing - B. Freezing - C. Windy. But I usually make March my first track unless I just can't wait until then. Personally, I think Streets of Willow is over rated. It's so rough. Don't get me wrong, it's super fun, but for me Big Willow is a blast (I just hit 170 on the font straight in Nov) but Chuckwalla is just nicer in every way. Col-s1krr made a great list that should take you the next year to hit! Just check the weather this time of year. Yes it's So Cal, but many of those places get really cold in the winter. Stay safe old man and show the young whipper snappers how it's done!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thank you Col- and Tmyung: much appreciate your detailed advices. I rode a little up to highway 2 on Christmas day - it was quite nice, in some parts reminding me of the Skyline in the Santa Cruz mountain accept it’s higher in altitude here. For sure I will try out the roads / tracks as recommended.

Cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
The longer I ride my RR the more I like it, as you fine tune your riding skills and get familiar with the bike it just keeps getting better. Some advice! Just “Don’t“ baby it, when your comfortable use it like it was meant to be used, fast and hard with full rpm range, this is what it was designed for and you really start to enjoy it.
‘Agree: I am terrible at cleaning my bikes... on the S1k, I often ride it around 8k-10k rpm in Slick mode. Coming from Aprilia RSV4 I found myself revving the S1k more to match the low end torques I’m used to (from RSV4). since I just bought my S1k (new to me at 5500 miles), I’m thinking of ordering the Sprocket kit (-1 tooth front and +2 teeth rear). Also considering getting the Motion Pro Revolver (throttle accelerator) 1/4 turn...

41 - 49 of 49 Posts