BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yes, I know... I know... oil thread. Now that that's out of the way let's move on to content.

Haven't had a chance to ride much in the last two years so just making sure everything is clean and happy on the girl. Used to run 300v with frequent changes however I want to switch over to the 7100 10w40 with the bmw filter as I'm riding purely on the street now. Looking through the forums I've seen conflicting information on flushing the oil when switching, is this recommended still and what is the procedure? Put new oil in, 10 mile ride, drain and refill with new oil? New filter on each change.

Is it necessary? Is it beneficial even if not strictly "necessary"? After all the maintenance is in order I'll be taking her down to a local shop for a dyno tune on the PC5 so I want to ensure everything is really tightened up.

2013 has 6500 miles on it.

Thanks for any info, it's appreciated.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'd warm it up drain and put new oil in and not worry about it. The only times I've done a true flush (what you described is not a flush) is when I've done work to fix or modify the casing of an engine that left metal shavings or particulate in places I could not clean. This requires kerosene/oil mix that you literally flush through the engine with the drain plug out. Do not use pure kerosene regardless of what someone tells you or what you read.

Edit: change filter as well they are cheap and not worth reusing ever imo.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense, sort of what I suspected but didn't want to cut corners unintentionally. As it's been sitting for so long I'm hesitant to even start her up in case of oil separation. Haven't had issues as I try to start her once a month, but still... better safe than sorry.

Yeah I always change the filter with the oil, I meant if I was doing what I thought was a flush I would change the filter with the first change then ride 10 miles change the oil and filter again.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
339 Posts
That makes sense, sort of what I suspected but didn't want to cut corners unintentionally. As it's been sitting for so long I'm hesitant to even start her up in case of oil separation. Haven't had issues as I try to start her once a month, but still... better safe than sorry.

Yeah I always change the filter with the oil, I meant if I was doing what I thought was a flush I would change the filter with the first change then ride 10 miles change the oil and filter again.

Thanks for the tips!
Yeah just a change is more than sufficient. The last one I brought back a few months ago had sat for 22 years and after getting the engine broken loose with marvel mystery oil and running all I did was a change (no flush) -- of course I did clean the tank and do a carb rebuild and sync but you will not have any issues after two years. If you didn't put stabilizer in the fuel tank it might be worth taking a look at what state of affairs that is in (that would cause more of headache than 2yr old oil)

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah just a change is more than sufficient. The last one I brought back a few months ago had sat for 22 years and after getting the engine broken loose with marvel mystery oil and running all I did was a change (no flush) -- of course I did clean the tank and do a carb rebuild and sync but you will not have any issues after two years. If you didn't put stabilizer in the fuel tank it might be worth taking a look at what state of affairs that is in (that would cause more of headache than 2yr old oil)
I put stab in for sure, that's an easy "let's not do something stupid here" move. lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Agreed with the others, no need for a flush. Just change oil as per normal, amd you’re good to go. Nice pic of your bike, BTW

1 - 7 of 7 Posts