BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got my bike saturday. Today is the first day it has been nice enough (40 deg and sunny) to take her to work. A few first impressions (comparing to my '15 1krr):

1. The grip warmers WORK! Like they get much hotter than my 2015 and i had to turn them down from 3 to 1 (lowest) because my hand was getting too hot. This was through my riding gloves.
  2. She is super super super light. I guess i didnt notice it during my press event. She is super nimble and a joy to ride
  3. Quick shifter is butter smooth. There were times with my '15 where i would get an almost hard shift that would rock me forward when upshifting. Havent had this happen yet and the bike is super responsive.
  4. The menus and the wheel scroll are soo intuitive i rarely looked down to see what menu i was in. Super easy for me to memorize
  5. Just an overall blast
A few things i noticed, not necessarily bad:
  1. Slight clicking in lower gears did not notice it at highway speeds but the engine sound and the wind could mask it. Shift cam maybe? Wondering if it will go away as it breaks in worriesome
  2. Have my phone (pixel 3xl) and helmet (Sena SMH10R) paired through the bike. To control your audio (play, pause, skip, etc) you need to go through the bikes menus to do so. The commands i used on the comm unit itself did nothing.
  3. When comparing to the '15 my left hand had trouble finding my turn signal button. I think this is because of the added gap caused by the menu wheel. Im sure given time I will adapt.
  4. The seat.....NOW i understand what people have been complaining about. During my commute (30ish miles), there were times i remember thinking how much my butt hurt. Will probably look at adding the gel insert at a later date. I want to see if i will adapt to it.
Holding my comments on the "flat spot" until after the break in period.

Buyers remorse? HELL NO. This is the first bike i purchased with zero seat time (except the press event). No regrets, this is MILES above the '15.

Ok thats it for now, thanks for reading. I know this isnt technical as I am not a highly technical person when it comes to motorcycles.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anytime - hope it helps someone make a decision on buying this wonderful machine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a deposit on one coming in next month. I’m on the fence. But after all the feed back. It is worth the up grade from my ‘17. Just has to be flashed

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i really didnt notice the flat spot but again this is during the break in period. Ill know more when i get the limiter off.

·
Registered
306 Posts
So got my bike saturday. Today is the first day it has been nice enough (40 deg and sunny) to take her to work. A few first impressions (comparing to my '15 1krr):

1. The grip warmers WORK! Like they get much hotter than my 2015 and i had to turn them down from 3 to 1 (lowest) because my hand was getting too hot. This was through my riding gloves.
  2. She is super super super light. I guess i didnt notice it during my press event. She is super nimble and a joy to ride
  3. Quick shifter is butter smooth. There were times with my '15 where i would get an almost hard shift that would rock me forward when upshifting. Havent had this happen yet and the bike is super responsive.
  4. The menus and the wheel scroll are soo intuitive i rarely looked down to see what menu i was in. Super easy for me to memorize
  5. Just an overall blast
A few things i noticed, not necessarily bad:
  1. Slight clicking in lower gears did not notice it at highway speeds but the engine sound and the wind could mask it. Shift cam maybe? Wondering if it will go away as it breaks in worriesome
  2. Have my phone (pixel 3xl) and helmet (Sena SMH10R) paired through the bike. To control your audio (play, pause, skip, etc) you need to go through the bikes menus to do so. The commands i used on the comm unit itself did nothing.
  3. When comparing to the '15 my left hand had trouble finding my turn signal button. I think this is because of the added gap caused by the menu wheel. Im sure given time I will adapt.
  4. The seat.....NOW i understand what people have been complaining about. During my commute (30ish miles), there were times i remember thinking how much my butt hurt. Will probably look at adding the gel insert at a later date. I want to see if i will adapt to it.
Holding my comments on the "flat spot" until after the break in period.

Buyers remorse? HELL NO. This is the first bike i purchased with zero seat time (except the press event). No regrets, this is MILES above the '15.

Ok thats it for now, thanks for reading. I know this isnt technical as I am not a highly technical person when it comes to motorcycles.
I have the Cardo Packtalk (Slim JBL) in my X14, but I think your problem is that when you start the media via the Media option in the TFT, you are using its player and it is in control. You can alternatively start media via the phone player and its control, including via the helmet. I never listen to music though, so I'm not the expert. BTW, Cardo did come out with a firmware update for the BMW Bluetooth system (RR included). Maybe Sena has one too.

Don't talk about the flat spot given that it is well known and with a full resolution. Before you bring your baby in for the 600 mile service, do yourself a favor and order the Brentuning Handheld for the quick fix when it returns from the dealer.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the Cardo Packtalk (Slim JBL) in my X14, but I think your problem is that when you start the media via the Media option in the TFT, you are using its player and it is in control. You can alternatively start media via the phone player and its control, including via the helmet. I never listen to music though, so I'm not the expert. BTW, Cardo did come out with a firmware update for the BMW Bluetooth system (RR included). Maybe Sena has one too.

Don't talk about the flat spot given that it is well known and with a full resolution. Before you bring your baby in for the 600 mile service, do yourself a favor and order the Brentuning Handheld for the quick fix when it returns from the dealer.
yeah ill be eventually getting setup with bren especially since I am going to get a full exhaust when i do the initial service. I think ill just connect my Sena directly to my phone as I prefer to use Waze. It is nice to have that option though. It does sound clear and is super responsive via the TFT.

I will check out sena to see if i have a firmware update that I missed. Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
754 Posts
Good to see you were able to take her out today. Your review was just fine. Maybe I will play with my settings later tonight and pair my Sena S20 to the bike

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!

I am going back and forth with it. I mean it would make a ram mount unnecessary if i use the TFT. However, then i lose waze and its functionality. Decisions decisions.

Plus itll save cell battery life not having to display the maps and whatnot.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i guess you can always wire it with a quick release or something to easily remove it for the track...you've peaked my interest.

Let me know what you think if you get it

·
Registered
20 Posts
I agree with you about the turn signals, when I was running mine in it was really difficult to use and I didn't have gloves on, I assume it would be worse with gloves. It's almost like the switch block need's to rotate up?
Great bike though

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
306 Posts
I agree with you about the turn signals, when I was running mine in it was really difficult to use and I didn't have gloves on, I assume it would be worse with gloves. It's almost like the switch block need's to rotate up?
Great bike though
You get used to the position and use of the signal button.

·
Registered
306 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts