BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After near a 2 month wait, I finally got my McIntosh custom swing arm, 3-7" over with air tank and bottle basket. I set the bike at 5" over and modded my dog bones to get me back to stock height. The goal is to have near stock like handling but be able to put full power down in 2nd gear.... We do lots of "roll racing" down here, along with some drag racing and mild twisties (sweepers really)... Hopefully it will accomplish what I want.

I know extending sport bikes is sacreligious here, especially a BMW S1000rr but I think it will still be very good in the twisties and much more stable in the straights.... Comments are welcome, good and bad... I can take it..

Haters gonna hate...:D

·
Registered
32 Posts
It's already not the greatest handling bike, but on most roads it honestly won't matter.

It'll get more power down on the strip so that's all that really matters.

·
Super Moderator
9,654 Posts
You're using the bike the way you want. That's all that matters. Just post some videos of you crushing other bikes.

Clearly we do appreciate members drag racing these bikes. Looks at the BOTM section and the guy who broke 9 seconds.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so how much what this hillbilly conversion ?
Swingarm was $1400, chain and sprocket was $230 and the custom Spiegler brake line was $74.

For the types of roads that we have, the bike will ride fine. We have to ride 1hr away to even romotely find some curves... And even then they are 30-40 mph speed limit turns so... Nothing tight.. My 62", stock height, 550lb turbo Busa even does great on our turns here so..... The S1000rr should still rip..

Now if I was out in Cali or in the Carolina's, I'd put the stock arm back on.

·
Banned
503 Posts
Yeah I live in the same crap here
All the roads go strait
Unless u ride 2 hours out of town
But I have been wanting to visit the drag strip with my HP4
To try out launch control
This limo conversion kit could be a nice addon
That is if I like the strip when I go

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
246 Posts
Any reason you chose to wait 2 months instead of buying an instock Brocks?

Looks good. I'm tempted to do an extended as my roads are very much just straights around here.

·
Registered
192 Posts
For just 3"-7" over, why didnt you just go with swingarm extensions and save a TON of cash?

Looks good though. us drag racing S1000RR owners are a rare breed. lol. But I have 5 dragstrips within a days driving distance so for me the choice was justified.

If you decide to commit it to drag racing check out brocks new drag shock ez:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For just 3"-7" over, why didnt you just go with swingarm extensions and save a TON of cash?

Looks good though. us drag racing S1000RR owners are a rare breed. lol. But I have 5 dragstrips within a days driving distance so for me the choice was justified.

If you decide to commit it to drag racing check out brocks new drag shock ez:

Actually, I did buy Brocks extensions (Roaring Toyz) at first, I figured if I didn't like it long, I could easily pull them off.. Well upon installation, I just didn't like how they fit inside the swingarm pockets and I didn't trust the mounting plates and cap screws.. I ended up sending them back and pennied up for a real arm.

This is my street bike/ daily rider (if I choose to ride to work), my wife also rides a lot with me so I wanted something reliable and safe... I didn't want to worry about a bolt on extension pulling apart when I'm heeled over in a 150 mph sweeper..

As for the 3-7" length, it was a custom deal. The off the shelf Mac arms (brocks) are 5-9". I knew I would never pull the wheel back that far and I didn't want to have arm hanging out that past rotor/sprocket.

My idea of the ultimate street bike is one that you can put max power to the street, yet still be able to ride twisties, do top end runs, take trips on it, daily ride it, roll race and some drag racing.. I set my Busa up the same way.. It's not perfect at any one thing, its great at a lot of things.

My intention is not to set the S1000rr up to drag race, (although I'm sure it will hit the strip eventually), I just wanted to be able to roll race/hwy bomb it and use as much of its power as efficiently as I can.. Gear it for acceleration and have it only long enough to take some of the wheelie out of it during 2nd gear/60 mph hits... I still wanted it to have good turn in and handle well. This is my "do it all" bike so I don't want the focus on drag racing.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any reason you chose to wait 2 months instead of buying an instock Brocks?

Looks good. I'm tempted to do an extended as my roads are very much just straights around here.
Brock only offers the 5-9" arm.. As previously posted, I wanted it a little shorter, I was only going to go 4" over but after all was said and done it ended up at 5" over.

I'm gonna ride it tomorrow and see how it handles and see how much I've hurt the nimbleness of it.

·
Registered
852 Posts
The goal is to have near stock like handling but be able to put full power down in 2nd gear.... We do lots of "roll racing" down here, along with some drag racing and mild twisties (sweepers really)... Hopefully it will accomplish what I want.
Congrat bro

I can put the power down full in 1st gear at any speed with my Brocks extension, it would simply shoots forward without any wheelie wasting time :D you could do the same too with your new long arm.

Do you know if your new Mcintosh long arm weight less or more than the stock swingarm?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrat bro

I can put the power down full in 1st gear at any speed with my Brocks extension, it would simply shoots forward without any wheelie wasting time :D you could do the same too with your new long arm.

Do you know if your new Mcintosh long arm weight less or more than the stock swingarm?
I didn't weigh each arm, but the mcintosh arm felt like it was a tad lighter, however I still had the stock chain looped thru the stock arm, so that made it heavier.. I'd guess that the arms are pretty close in weight... Maybe + or - a pound or two. Now the new chain is considerably heavier. It's around 140 links now and it's an EK ZZZ chain which is very thick and strong. No doubt the heavy chain is gonna cost a few ponies, but atleast I'll be able to use it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also installed a mcintosh arm a few weeks ago...

Did you use Brocks window link? I want an adjustable link but want one that will get me back to stock height for street riding. Even my stock u link wouldn't get the bike back up to stock height, I guess there is a difference in where McIntosh puts the pivot mount. I actually had to shorten my stock u link by about 1" to get the rear back to stock height...:rolleyes:

Not sure what I am gonna do for an adjustable link...I don't think the Brocks window link will suck in short enough to get it where I need it.. I need 5.5" center to center on the holes for stock height now.:confused:

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
alan, why not call soupy or make your own ? i know several years ago there were issues with part failures due to cheap materials. i think that has been resolved.. by the way im slammed1000 over on suzukihayabusa.org. i didn't post much there and very little hear due to time and the lack of it...

terry does position the pivot link 1" differently than stock due to geometry issues he saw when prototyping the first on brocks bike.. he then made a different window link exclusively for the mcintosh arm. they use to also sell a different pivot but thats no longer available..

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah I thought about getting some rod ends and making my own but that big spacer in between them with bearings in it would probably be tough to make. Brock and roaring Toyz both make a lowering link but they won't be short enough for stock height.. I need to figure something out. I'd like to go from stock height to -2" for drag racing. Gen 1 Busa adjustable links will give me the range I need, but the spacer between them would have to be fabbed up some how...

Slammed1000 huh? Yeah I remember you from way back.. We've been at this stuff for a long time.. I've got a 9.20 C5Z and a 10.50 71' Vette as well... Just getting back into the bikes again with the BMW.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts