BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I don't see myself using any other buckle other than D-rings on my motorcycle helmets. That said, these fidlock type of buckles are appearing on bike, skiing, snowmobile, and other types of helmets. It basically consists on a lock that snaps in place by two magnets, and unlocks by separating the magnets with a motion in a different (not necessarily opposite) direction. I can believe the locking force may be stronger than the simple conventional cheapo helmet locks, however it looks scarily easy to inadvertently unbuckle it, something that would never happen in a D-ring. Doesn't look safe to me, any thoughts?

SNAP helmet buckle - Fidlock
plastic buckle - Hook - Fidlock

snap video

hook video

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
Those are WAY cool......I just wouldn't trust them for my head or as a seatbelt. For things that don't really matter, awesome. For things that do? Nope.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chaps, I reached the guys from Sweet Protection helmets (snow helmets) and their system is different from the 509 from the video. They do use a latch to lock the buckle in place. Since the el chapo buckles from ski/bicycle helmets have their own issues, it's probably worth a second look.

ps. Yes there's a Snell standard for snow helmets, RS-98. It's a shame that there are currently no Snell certified snow helmets on the market! That's what they say about retention systems:

D. Retention System

The retention system shall be designed so as to discourage misuse. That is, of all the ways in which the retention system might be used, the design use shall be the simplest and quickest to implement. Helmets shall not be fitted with "non-essential" features which, if misused, can degrade the performance. Quick release buckles, if used, shall not be able to be released inadvertently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts