BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed last night after getting bike back from header install a few drops of coolant on the ground. I hadn't seen this before. '22 S1000RR around 2700 miles. It was around 105F out yesterday, I don't redline it often and NEVER leave it there. Occasionally hitting redline quickly for the kids on a rev. Airbox showed 129 at the highest when I started monitoring.

Hood Automotive tire Wood Automotive exhaust Bumper

Thoughts on this? When the bike was running I couldn't see any fluid and believe this was after spirited riding and the bike being turned off.

Another question,
What do people typically do with the flapper module cable after header install? This is still plugged in and zip tied hidden on the bike. Do they just remove this or leave it plugged in and secured like I have? Its hot here in the midwest US. Cold start is perfect, no tune, primary focus is warranty, bikes running awesome, sounds awesome. No codes or errors.

I appreciate everyone's expertise. God bless.

· Registered
455 Posts
What headers do you have?

When I installed my Akra headers, it came with a mod kit for the exhaust flapper servo. So I still have the servo but I removed the cables as you have indicated would just be hanging uselessly on the bike. If the cables are fully disconnected, I don't understand why the shop didn't just pull them out.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What headers do you have?

When I installed my Akra headers, it came with a mod kit for the exhaust flapper servo. So I still have the servo but I removed the cables as you have indicated would just be hanging uselessly on the bike. If the cables are fully disconnected, I don't understand why the shop didn't just pull them out.
I grabbed these, Titanium Alloy Motorcycle Gp Exhaust Escape Full System For Bmw S1000rr 2020 Front Link Pipe - Exhaust & Exhaust Systems(motorcycle) - AliExpress after seeing Cali's video (has Akra on his S1000R)
So far I can completely echo what you see in the video. Time will tell on the rest. $645 and no wait will work for me for now. Immaculant conditions

I believe the thought process was in case an error was thrown and I need to add something. They said if I wanted it pulled let them know. One of those things were I picked the bike up late before closing and I'll have it back in the next month when I hit 4000 miles.

Do I have them remove it entirely and grab that Servo? I'll have a research to see what needs to happen with it. Thank you for reply.

@SuperBikeBrandon I removed the servo cables, but left the servo motor in there. No harm in that and no codes.

Not sure about the coolant leak. Did you replace any seals with the header? Sorry I'm not much help in this department
No seals. I plan to shot a picture to the shop this afternoon. Any detailed information on this or can you point me in the right direction for some details? I am assuming the two wired connection just disconnect where ever they go to? Is it easy to get too? Thanks! (y)(y)

I was super excited on the weight loss and the sounds (shhhhheeessshhhh) but had to hide the cables and obviously a bit pinged on the coolant.

· Vendor
5,258 Posts
Thats not a few drops of coolant considering the blue running down the side of the oil pan too. Hope you installed those headers because you are likely about to have to remove them and request warranty service on the water pump / oil pump seals. There is a weep hole in the oil pan that this coolant will leak from when there is a problem with the seals. Several 2020 models had this issue, very few 21's .. so far no 22's , but there is always the first.

looks like this where it might be leaking

Head Hand Eye Eyelash Human body

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats not a few drops of coolant considering the blue running down the side of the oil pan too. Hope you installed those headers because you are likely about to have to remove them and request warranty service on the water pump / oil pump seals. There is a weep hole in the oil pan that this coolant will leak from when there is a problem with the seals. Several 2020 models had this issue, very few 21's .. so far no 22's , but there is always the first.

View attachment 223243
Thanks! I stumbled across what you're referring to last night! When potentially being the first isn't ideal. My shop installed and they'll take care of me for sure. I shot them over a picture.

· Registered
455 Posts
On the exhaust, it appears, they left the servo in along with leaving the cables connected to the servo but obviously they're hanging free on the exhaust end. Otherwise, you'll get a error with the servo completely gone. I'd check to be sure. The servo is directly under the rider's seat below the subframe. You can easily see it. You should also be able to see if the cables are still connected to it or not. If this is the setup, I'd leave for now until you decide to get a Servo Buddy.

My Akra kit came with a plate that I installed in place of the pulley inside of the servo. The plate is shape in a way where there are stops to I guess prevent the motor from over spinning freely as normally the pulley would stop due to the flapper being fully open.

Sucks on the pump issue.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the exhaust, it appears, they left the servo in along with leaving the cables connected to the servo but obviously they're hanging free on the exhaust end. Otherwise, you'll get a error with the servo completely gone. I'd check to be sure. The servo is directly under the rider's seat below the subframe. You can easily see it. You should also be able to see if the cables are still connected to it or not. If this is the setup, I'd leave for now until you decide to get a Servo Buddy.

My Akra kit came with a plate that I installed in place of the pulley inside of the servo. The plate is shape in a way where there are stops to I guess prevent the motor from over spinning freely as normally the pulley would stop due to the flapper being fully open.

Sucks on the pump issue.
If the cables are hidden and out of the way no reason not to leave them? Thank you for explaining!

I'm going to look closer when I get home and take some pics but judging by the other threads, looks identical 😅.

· Registered
455 Posts
If the cables are hidden and out of the way no reason not to leave them? Thank you for explaining!

I'm going to look closer when I get home and take some pics but judging by the other threads, looks identical 😅.
Yes, you can leave them as long is they're not interfering with anything. I'd focus on the loose ends of the cabling to make sure they're not going to snag on anything. If I'm right, the servo is still operating pulling on the cable. So those cable ends will move back and forth as long as they're left that way.

Long term, I'd consider getting a Servo Buddy as I'm not sure if or how long those exposed cable ends will get dirt/debris/rust which will affect the operation of the servo.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, you can leave them as long is they're not interfering with anything. I'd focus on the loose ends of the cabling to make sure they're not going to snag on anything. If I'm right, the servo is still operating pulling on the cable. So those cable ends will move back and forth as long as they're left that way.

Long term, I'd consider getting a Servo Buddy as I'm not sure if or how long those exposed cable ends will get dirt/debris/rust which will affect the operation of the servo.
Thats exactly what they told me regarding the cables needing to move and I agree, will get it done. Had no idea in advance.

· Registered
BMW S1000XR 2022, Ducati Desert Sled 2018, Ducati MTS 950 2017(sold), Honda VFR 2007(sold)
156 Posts

View attachment 223243
My 2022 XR had this problem and they had to replace the oil pan and water pump and seals. Also they found the oil pick up incorrectly installed at the factory. Bike is currently awaiting ignition switch and DOA in another state with no ETA for part available.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took it to the shop Friday and they put it on the lift. I was told it may have had something to do with the system burping after moving the radiator or line on the header install. I've put several hundred miles on it and its been 105 F no more issues for now. I've put a towel underneath in my garage and nothing. I am just going to keep an eye on it.

Went ahead and ordered the Servo Buddy. Thanks all, I'll follow up when and if it fails.

I truly appreciate you all and I sincerely mean that.

· Registered
2021 s1000rr
603 Posts
Thats coolant dripping in front of your rear tire.... coolant is very slippery, hence having to get rid of coolant on most tracks and convert to something else. I wasn't willing to chance it, I parked it until it was fixed. For me to ride, the bike has to be able to pass tech at any track. Even if I'm just putting down the street any leaks anything wrong is a no go for me. I won't chance it.

They said the coolant leaking from the weep hole in the oil pan is because you moved a rad hose during the header install???

Total utter BS...

It's a failed o ring in the water/oil pump inside the oil pan. Not common but it happens. Happen to me 2x. Once was coolant once was oil.. nothing to do with moving a hose..

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thats coolant dripping in front of your rear tire.... coolant is very slippery, hence having to get rid of coolant on most tracks and convert to something else. I wasn't willing to chance it, I parked it until it was fixed. For me to ride, the bike has to be able to pass tech at any track. Even if I'm just putting down the street any leaks anything wrong is a no go for me. I won't chance it.

They said the coolant leaking from the weep hole in the oil pan is because you moved a rad hose during the header install???

Total utter BS...

It's a failed o ring in the water/oil pump inside the oil pan. Not common but it happens. Happen to me 2x. Once was coolant once was oil.. nothing to do with moving a hose..
No, they moved the radiator when they installed the headers and believe the system needed to "burp". It was cleaned up and no issues since after I rode bike immediately after install noticing the coolant. I checked the oem headers and didn't see any liquid marks.

If it fails again or shows any liquid they'll take care of me.

Terribly sorry to hear you had this twice. I'll circle back and report any issues for others that may hear the same but what you're saying checks out from everything I've read. I appreciate your comments.

· Registered
455 Posts
I'm also a little dubious of what your dealership told you. Having installed my Akra headers myself, I've very intimate with what it took/takes to install headers on these bikes. Yes, I had to unmount both the radiator and oil cooler to get the clearance needed to maneuver the stock and Akra headers out of the bike. But I left the radiator and oil cooler connected to their respective hoses. With that said, there won't be any air introduced into either system.

I'd keep an eye on the weep hole.

Strange things do happen though. My Toyota daily beater bought new was low on coolant about 2 years into ownership. Never had the cooling system touched during that time. I'm thinking crap....do I have a head gasket problem since there were no external leaks anywhere I could see. I filled the expansion tank up to the full mark and it's been holding steady since. So maybe an air pocket worked it's way through as a result of the system not being burped properly from factory.

· Registered
2021 s1000rr
603 Posts
To properly exchange or fill the coolant on our bikes the vacuum method is preferred if not required. There is no such thing as burping a system through a weep hole. Shameful someone said that.

His dealer is dodging it. Mine was reluctant the first time and almost argumentative the second, when the oil AFTER the first time they replaced the pump the oil was milky I knew I was in for a fight. I Changed the oil 50 miles after they swapped the water/oil pump -they did an oil change during that service- my change cleared the oil up. My only concern for longevity was the treatment of the internals and if the cross contamination would reduce its effect. Did some research didn't find anything conclusive on the issue. If anyone has insight I'll take it.

The first time I had to wait for the parts the second time also. But when they arrived, I got a chance to see it, the failed seal, see exactly why and what... I do most, if not all of the work to my bike. I'll use the dealer for warranty but everything else i do. So seeing the failure point and part was important to me.

The last time I had it to the dealer I confirmed with them that leaving my arrow headers on will not impact the service. Quite the opposite with headers the job goes from around 8 hrs flat rate-can be done in about 6- to being accomplished in 3 or so. Just pop the springs and blamo the exhaust is out of the way of the oil pan. No need to pull the headers off the engine.

I wish the op luck. Sounds like a dealer I'd avoid.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts