BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Sunday @Bobby Johnny arranged for 13 people to attend a Dirt Track Training day @ Dirt bike training and flat track racing school I have no idea what the motivation of everyone else was but I remember how much my '83 RM 125 motocross bike helped with my racing back in the day. I've been wanting to get in some dirt riding since I started doing track days 2 years ago. This was the perfect opportunity to get dirty again. :smile2:

There was no classroom instruction. We got a 15 minute talk and then it was get on the bikes and ride. :smile2: We started off with drills. Cones were placed around the course. First drill accelerate between cones and decelerate with no brakes so you were going as slow as possible as you reached the next cone. No clutch. Same drill rear brake only. Same drill front brake only. Same drill both brakes. 2 body positioning drills. 1st sliding in circles to the left. 2nd sliding in circles to the right. Break. Free practice clock wise. Free practice counter clockwise. Different course. More free practice in both directions.. Lunch. More free practice. Body positioning drills. Heat races and races.

It was a total blast. I probably hit the ground 5 times before lunch. :frown2: I almost killed Blake. He was on the ground and I was going to run right over the top of him. I don't know how but my quick evasive maneuvers had me miss him by about 6 inches. Dean was a trooper. He kept getting black flagged for trying to road race. He would put a knee out and hang off at the oddest times. He had to do pushups before being allowed to continue riding. Pat won a race when he was exhausted. He just made himself as wide as possible so no one could pass instead of trying to ride faster. :laugh:

I was tired and sore after the drills, free practice and crashes. I didn't do the heat races or the races. My only goal would have been not to hit the ground again. No point in racing with that mindset. When I go again, I'll do maybe 1/3 of the drills and half the free practice. Not because I don't need the work. It's the only way I'll be fresh enough to participate in the races. :grin2: These damn 250 lb. dirt bikes kick your ass in a hurry!

When I put the deposit on my '20 M package Saturday, Cory was ragging on me about not doing the last Keigwins day this coming weekend. I told him I was doing FLAP dirt the next day. He approved. Said the [email protected] track coaches were there now and he wished he was there too.

I'd recommend a trip to FLAP dirt to anyone. You'll get more than you bargained for. I did. :laugh:

Edit: You may want to take the day off work after or you can call in sick. I was barely functional today but got all my assignments done.

Another Edit: The instruction occurred on track and during the breaks. Instructors were positioned around the track to tell you what you were doing wrong or right as you passed by..

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Glad you had fun! I should have taken the same approach as you and many others in the group—aim not to crash. I was aiming to go fast—which led to a lot of crashes (not as many as Blake apparently) including the last crash of the day: a nice highside then down onton my head and sholders putting me put of commision for the last 1/4 of the day. Still, it was fun and wish we could have done a 2-day class instead as I wish we coulld have had more time learning more basics.

FLAP Dirt is located just east of Clear Lake. If anyone is interested in trying out FLAP Dirt you can RSVP a day or a weekend for youself or a group with Brian Bartlow thru his website Dirt bike training and flat track racing school

If you have enough riders coming in he can dedicate the day to your group—which we did. The cost includes gear, food, and bikes for the day.

·
4,642 Posts
That sounds like a hoot. I'm doing a dirt 2 day camp with cornerspeed.net soon. Glad no one was injured.
Did you rent the gear too? boots, protectors, helmet, etc...

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That sounds like a hoot. I'm doing a dirt 2 day camp with cornerspeed.net soon. Glad no one was injured.
Did you rent the gear too? boots, protectors, helmet, etc...
I used my 6D helmet. and Klim MX pants. A mistake. I could have used their gear at no extra cost. My helmet took a hard hay bale to ground hit. If it were a road race helmet, I'd trash it. You can't ride in the dirt without falling on a fairly regular basis. This helmet is going to do at least 2 years no matter how many times I go down. I had a new pair of Tech 7 enduro boots that proved to heavy. After the first 4 drills, I couldn't lift my foot high enough to apply the rear brake. Switched to a lighter pair of Bilt boots for the remainder of the day.
The Kawi's rear brake levers were as low as possible and they were still too high. :frown2:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Wife and I took his dirt class earlier this summer. It was a total blast.

I recommend you DONT go intending NOT to crash...crashing is half of the fun and learning where the edge is. I tossed my bike several times.

Ive been road racing since 1999 and on dirt less times than I have fingers on one hand. Its very beneficial, wish id done it sooner.

Brain Bartlow is a High Energy ball of fire. Always a good time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts