BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gents,

Does anyone know if the intake and exhaust cams out of a 2013 and later S1000rr would work on my 2012? I've searched a bit on this and haven't had any luck getting a solid answer. I know the part number changed at some point but I'm not sure if that is due to a change in materials, or if the specs changed altogether.

A little back story:

My 2012 developed a mild tick at around 1000 miles and gradually got worse. I was told by the local dealer it was more or less normal. When I got to 1700 +/- miles I finally decided to look into it myself. When I got the valve cover off, I noticed a lobe on the intake cam was chunked up and worn down. I've ran across some used cams on eBay but most are from different years.

I definitely am trying to get it up and going before summer hits. :smile2:

I appreciate any input,

John

·
Administrator
6,946 Posts
Just looking at the online parts lists, it would appear that the 2012 and 2013 are the same. Part numbers

11 31 7 720 192 INLET CAMSHAFT 1.72 1
11 31 7 720 196 CAMSHAFT EXHAUST 1.74 1

What are the part numbers on the cams themselves? Maybe that's the best way to look for replacements.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I know that the 2010 had softer cam lobes but I thought that the cam specs were the same from 2010 to 2013. I have 3 engines but haven't looked inside either of the heads or at the cams.

Reactions: johneb

·
Vendor
1,176 Posts
All 2010-14 should be the same, I have aftermarket cams as well if you want to go that route.

Chris

Reactions: johneb

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just looking at the online parts lists, it would appear that the 2012 and 2013 are the same. Part numbers

11 31 7 720 192 INLET CAMSHAFT1.72 1

11 31 7 720 196 CAMSHAFT EXHAUST1.74 1

What are the part numbers on the cams themselves? Maybe that's the best way to look for replacements.

Thank you for the info! When I get back in from work I will turn the motor over by hand and check the part numbers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that the 2010 had softer cam lobes but I thought that the cam specs were the same from 2010 to 2013. I have 3 engines but haven't looked inside either of the heads or at the cams.

I've heard about the 2010's having some issues with soft cam lobes and of course a case here or there in later years. I am almost positive mine failed due to a fault in the metal but I could be wrong.

I've been watching eBay for a set of used cams with lower miles. Seems like more are starting to turn up lately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts