BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 S1K. The warranty is ending at the end of November. I can get another 3 years for $1900.00. What do you all think...should I spring for it, or is this bike so rock solid that I won't ever use it? I have had zero problems so far. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Craig

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is the extended from BMW? If not what does the warranty cover? How many miles is on the bike and how long do you plan on keeping it? I am sure having an extended warranty will help you when it time to sell. $633 per year seem ok if you do a lot of miles, but since you are in Canada your riding season would be limited.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is from BMW. I currently have 8000Km or 5000 miles. Plan on keeping for many years.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Find out who its actually underwritten by, a lot of manufacturers partner up with insurance companies for their extended optional warranties.
If its underwritten by someone other than BMW then its probably about as valuable as a cheque written on toilet paper.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is from BMW. I will have the exact same warranty as what came with the bike, for another 3 years, including road side assistance.

·
Registered
944 Posts
This is from BMW. I will have the exact same warranty as what came with the bike, for another 3 years, including road side assistance.
Go for it, peace of mind and i'm sure if you sell the transfer will benefit the sale substantially. Also start racking up those miles!

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea, I think I will. I don't mind spending the coin, but I do mind wasting it...not that I am hoping that something goes wrong with the bike..but?

·
Registered
252 Posts
That's pricey, 2k.

Those year models don't seem to have much wrong with them, and one cam assume that in 3 years if something does go wrong will be less than 2k. Idk..

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I keep flipping back and forth...as you say, 2K is 2K!

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
I have a 2017 S1K. The warranty is ending at the end of November. I can get another 3 years for $1900.00. What do you all think...should I spring for it, or is this bike so rock solid that I won't ever use it? I have had zero problems so far. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Craig
Be very careful with what type of warranty BMW sells to you. I bought the warranty from the BMW dealership only that it turned out to be provided by a third party - NOT BMW Canada.
Please ready every line and every detail carefully.
The BMW downtown dealership in Toronto said BMW does not offer extended warranty on bikes in Canada; its only through third parties.

I got shafted and rather you don't have the same experience.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was told that it is the same as what came with the bike originally. I think I am going to pass...it is a roll of the dice, but...

·
Registered
22 Posts
$2k is also a good down payment toward a new bike. I guess that is the catch 22 with euro bikes. I never worry about my Japanese bike as long as they are maintained.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Sales people are full of ****. I'd bet z00s left nut that it's not from BMW. Only way to tell is to read the contract.

Think about it this way, why are these clowns so happy to sell you extended warranty? Because the chances are they're going to profit from you. Sure you might get lucky and it'll save you an expensive repair bill but that's the exception rather than the norm. Also be prepared for a fight if you make a claim, they'll try every trick under the sun to get out of paying.

·
Registered
419 Posts
$2k is also a good down payment toward a new bike. I guess that is the catch 22 with euro bikes. I never worry about my Japanese bike as long as they are maintained.
Frankly this isnt true. Dont know if you were aware of Hondas CBR1000rr bruning oil from bad piston rings that went on for about 3-4 years. I do because mine was one of them! After that I will no longer buy Honda.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Frankly this isnt true. Dont know if you were aware of Hondas CBR1000rr bruning oil from bad piston rings that went on for about 3-4 years. I do because mine was one of them! After that I will no longer buy Honda.
That your experience and not mine. I have owned over 10 Japanese bikes over the years and none of them have ever given me any issues. This Consumer Report is a bit dated but the top 4 manufactures are Japanese. That said in this day stats and numbers are all fake news :p.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've owned about 15 cars and 10 bikes over the years. None of them have given me much trouble except an 11 year old Audi A4 that was mistreated by former owners.

And a friend of mine owns a motorcycle workshop, he told me just about every brand has very few major issues prior to the 10 year mark. After that the Euro brands tend to start having problems.

You'd be far better off putting a few dollars away per week for any repairs that may come up. When it's time to upgrade you have some cash towards the new bike if nothing goes wrong.

·
Registered
419 Posts
That your experience and not mine. I have owned over 10 Japanese bikes over the years and none of them have ever given me any issues. This Consumer Report is a bit dated but the top 4 manufactures are Japanese. That said in this day stats and numbers are all fake news :p.

So because you didnt experience it, its not true? Remember Yamaha R1 with transmission issues too? It happens, if it happened to you or not it still happened. Its like if you want to believe that the Election wasnt rigged. No fake news there, huh.

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So because you didnt experience it, its not true? Remember Yamaha R1 with transmission issues too? It happens, if it happened to you or not it still happened. Its like if you want to believe that the Election wasnt rigged. No fake news there, huh.
I think we should keep politics out of these threads.

Craig

1 - 19 of 19 Posts