BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if someone else ever killed his brand new tire, I was just spooning up my rain and slick tires. Came to the last tire, the rear slick conti race-attack endurance. Destroyed some rubber above the bead on the mounting shoe. Couldn't figure it out at first why this one was so hard to mount. All what was needed seemed to be allot of pressure behind the shoe(way more then I normally use) and over a bigger arc of the tire. Was pushing with my dad and myself afterwards, went on smooth as butter, though dmg is done and irreversible. Gonna stop by a tire vendor tomorrow to see if they can patch it up from the inside.

I feel like a total moron now...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I would think any damage in the sidewall caused by a mounting mistake would have caused sufficient damage to make the tire unsafe to repair. The general rule of thumb with tire repairs on a bike like the S1000RR is that the only thing repairable is simple punctures in the tread area.

- Mark

·
Registered
534 Posts
Back in '74 when I picked up my very slightly used '72 chambered and ported H2-750...after rolling out of a stop light and determining I could spin the tire at will I needed a new rear by the time I got home (about 60 miles through much stop and go traffic...lol).

Reactions: CYCLE_MONKEY

·
Administrator
6,798 Posts
You must have got the longer swingarm version, all my H2 wanted to do was wheelie. Yes, I ruined a new tire with about 50 miles on it, picked up a GM trim screw right in the corner of the tread, did not want to try and fix it. Other tires have taken longer to destroy.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Jan Strandberg, Manager Technical Customer Service - Nordic, Goodyear Sverige AB
Claimed that this tyre, Dunlop KR108 MS4 had no manufacturing fault....

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
For comparison, same bike, same rider, same laptime, same settings, same tyre pressure, same track, same weather, a different Dunlop KR108 MS4:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts