BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Have been looking via Google and cannot get a strait answer. Heading to Mount Tremblant for new years and will be coming back on 1/1/19. My passport expires on 3/1/19. I am a US citizen, will this be an issue?

They push the 6 month rule, but am heading there with 10 others and don't want this to be a burden even if i'm the driver, Thinking of bringing my birth certificate, keeping my lift tickets and receipts.

*Disclaimer: Won't be riding the s1000rr there*

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
You'll need to confirm with US Immigration to know for sure, but can you get an expedited passport renewal to save all the worry?

·
4,604 Posts
You will be fine with at least 3 months left on passport from my experience. I was abroad in Aug, only had 3.5 months left before my passport was gonna expire. No issues. I asked on officer after I passed customs, he said as long as it's not under 3 months it's good.

With only 2 months, not sure. I would do expedited passport. A couple hundred dollars not worth the hassle.

·
Registered
188 Posts
From my quick check of rules:

-- Your passport is good for entry back into the U.S. until the expiration date. The 3-6 month rules are for travel to the visiting country.

-- Canada doesn't go by the 3-6 month rule anyway.

You can Google the info and form your own opinion, but that's what I got.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I remember the good old days when the only questions they asked were the country of citizenship, where do you live, and how long will you be staying. I did not even have to take my helmet off to show my face, nor present any documents.

One way to make things easier for us Canadians however is to get an Enhanced Driver’s Licence to go across the border these days.

I miss the old times.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Sorry, I must be getting something wrong? You come back on 1/1/19 and your passport expires on 3/1/19. You should be as good as can be.

Anyways, I think you can always get back into your home country with an expired passport. What you cannot do is to travel away from your country or into a non home country with an expired passport.
At least that's how my Italian passport works. I got into my country with my passport expired, and then renewed in my country before leaving again.

Anyways, check out with immigration. These are tough days on the border to not have the papers in order.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts