BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a little curious!! Have a 2018 s1000rr ..in just 3 years completed 30k kms . Wanted to know how long do these engines last ? The rate at which I am going 100k is not too far !!

Any idea/ info how good these engines are in terms of longevity?

Have a full system akra with Rapid Bike racing and a BMC filter!!

·
Vendor
4,406 Posts
The life expectancy on anything mechanical is based on how well you take care of it in maintenance. I know of BMW S1000RR that have over 75000 miles. Those bikes are used for touring however. If you rack the miles at track days or race events you better be on the oil and other changes every 2000 miles. Then even at that 50000 miles is a good number to make it to.

Treat it right and it will treat you right. Good luck on the miles of smiles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight guys!!! Yeah ..don't do track at all for that reason !!! Just purely Sunday rides ..and even then get it serviced at the workshop every 4000 kms ...which is about 2000 miles

·
Registered
84 Posts
Look up an old forum member, 'SBS' who took his 2011 s1000rr all the way up to 55 or 60k miles and then sold it to someone who presumably enjoyed it for many more miles as he stated when he sold it, it ran like normal. Pretty interesting reads and basically highlights that if you take care of these bikes (just like most others), they can have that same reliability one would come to expect out of the Japanese bikes.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm at 30K too on an 18 s1000rr, and I think I will hit 100K km easy at this rate. Oil changes under 10 km, sometimes under 5-6 km. My bike still looks new; many people cannot believe it has travelled 30K km. Treat it right (preventative and scheduled maintenance), and it will keep you happy. Just did my valve adjustment last year and everything was in spec.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've got 72000 on my 2012 and it's now a full time track bike that still rips. Only engine components I've had to replace were the thermostat and cam chain tension with a manual one, both around 55k. I just follow the maintenance schedule and the bike/engine has been great.

·
Registered
2016 S1000rr
112 Posts
38,000 miles on my 16'. Just had the valves checked for the first time and only 1 exhaust valve needed new shim. Oil change every 5,000miles. Spark plugs every 10,000miles. Clean air filter regularly. Only issue I'm having is the clutch basket is making noise but still works fine. Everything works great and motor still pulls strong.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I've been around mechanical equipment for years, so I learned to listen to the sound of motors and engines. of all the bikes I've bought new, the S1000RR kept its original sound the best, having owned it for a.most a decade. My positive experience with the bike, other than the typical BMW electrical non-sense, and the positive dealership experience (with fuel and electrical recalls, especially after warranty period) has made me a brand loyalist, which I haven't been for motorcycles before (nor cars recently).

As someone else pointed out, the older threads on this forum point to its overall reliability.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts