BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
4 Posts
Years ago, I had a set of custom plugs made (BigEars) where they injected some goop into each ear and let it dry. They were the best plugs I ever had would seal and not hurt. I had this done at the track. Cost $60 but were worth it as much as I ride on the track.
I actually consider buying from Big Ear. I really liked their custom earphones/hearing protection that I saw from youtube.

·
Banned
2 Posts
Why is it that an earplug will seemingly work well on one ride, then absolutely suck on another? Do our ears change shape from day to day?

Wind noise is really a distraction. I've tried foam plugs (don't work because my ears have very narrow, sharply angled canals), custom plugs (that work...then cease to work), and silicone moldable plugs (the best alternative so far, but even they don't always do the trick).

Oh...and I have spent money on helmets that purportedly are the "quietest helmet ever", only to find that someone's opinion of what "quiet" means is vastly different (louder) than mine.

What do you other RR riders use? Can you describe your ear canals and how well the plugs you use work?

Thanks...I need to solve this problem. I want to hear my engine...not the frickin' wind! :eek:
[

I agree, wind noise is really irritating and makes me feel dizzy, too especially after a long ride. Did you find the earplugs that work for you?

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I agree, wind noise is really irritating and makes me feel dizzy, too especially after a long ride. Did you find the earplugs that work for you?
Nothing like answering a question 5 months later...sorry! I've got a pair of custom plugs that work pretty well. Occasionally on a ride, I have to slide a finger under the helmet and press the plugs lightly to re-seat them well...cruise control is a boon when I'm doing this. I still use an earmold lubricant...it seems to fill micro-gaps and helps the plugs seal better.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
Nothing like answering a question 5 months later...sorry! I've got a pair of custom plugs that work pretty well. Occasionally on a ride, I have to slide a finger under the helmet and press the plugs lightly to re-seat them well...cruise control is a boon when I'm doing this. I still use an earmold lubricant...it seems to fill micro-gaps and helps the plugs seal better.
Well if you look a little deeper you will see that the guy you are responding to is banned and his alter ego AlexL95 should have been. Every mention of Big Ear is a scam...

·
Registered
41 Posts
While we're there though, what flyryder said is the single most important thing we can do to protect our hearing - use a sealant.

Even customs don't do much unless they seal well. Water and spit will work in a pinch, but the best seal will be given by something that's viscous and long-lasting. The speciality products (like earmold lubricant or hearing aid lubricant) work well, but they're about $10 for 15mL. They're functionally identical to ordinary, water-based sex lubes, which are available everywhere and cost about $5 per 200mL.

Everyone, do yourself a favour: go buy some KY, put a dab in your ears before you insert your plugs (and use the rest however you please). It will revolutionise your riding life.

·
Registered
872 Posts
I use custom-molded earphones from plugup.com - similar to what performing musicians use. When you buy, Plugup sends you a molding kit. It takes about an hour to make two sets of molds and you need someone to help. When you return the completed molds, they send you the completed custom earphones about two weeks later.

Plugup has a variety of products from simple earplugs to various types of earphones. I got this: CUSTOM EARPLUG SPEAKERS<p> (plugup.com)

I have them connected to my Cardo Packtalk Slim Bluetooth/Intercom unit (Shoei X-14) via the 3.5mm audio female in the Cardo. It's the perfect combo for the new Bluetooth-enabled BMWs.

The molded earphones block out virtually all noise and are far quieter than any earplugs I've used. The sound from their embedded speakers is very good. I radically turned down the volume of my Cardo because all of the sound goes right into the ear and they block out the ambient wind/engine noise.

They were uncomfortable at first because they went too deeply into my ears, but taking off 1 mm at the ends of each one (simple razor knife cut) fixed the problem. The tech support from the audiologist owner (Marylyn) is very good (email and phone). The comfort now is very good after you become accustomed to having your ears, um, plugged up. They fit absolutely perfectly and insert in two seconds - super easy.

They do require an extra half minute to put in and connect to my Cardo before putting on the helmet, so I generally don't bother with them on super-short rides. It also requires extra care for me to remove my helmet because when the stick to the inner sides of the helmet as it comes off, it pulls on the custom earphones at an angle, which causes pain. I've learned how to carefully remove the helmet with them in, but I can't just quickly rip off my helmet as I did previously.

I don't listen to music while riding and rarely take calls. I sometimes use Nav, but 98% of the time they serve as excellent earplugs. However, I occasionally do a long foreign/distant tour with buddies where the intercom capability will be used fairly constantly and the quietness is more important.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use Etymotic ER20s. Relatively cheap and designed to reduce db while preserving clarity. But had to try a bunch of brands before I found one that fit reliably. Warming up to the idea of custom molded.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Shure SE846 with Sensaphonics custom silicone sleeves - the best (for the gym)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts