BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
8,313 Posts
Where to buy? Looks like not out yet. But I also would get one. Hate dealing with maintenance on dirt bikes.

Reactions: cjc

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

My biggest concern is most of these bikes (including the higher power MX wanna be bikes) are made in China. For example the DNM suspension components are from China (or Taiwan) as far as I know

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'd love to try one of these:

Yeah, I think if I was interested in something like this I'd get the KTM, they TOTALLY understand the dirtbike thing.

I'll stick to my ICE dirtbikes though.

BUT...imagine an indoor track where you had all kinds of trials-type obstacles, where you could go in and rent one, try all kinds of crazy stuff at low speed (hopefully not hurt yourself), and then leave and let them charge the thing for the next guy. Now THAT would be cool, I'd do that. No smell of 2-stroke exhaust everywhere in an indoor venue. That's why you see a lot of electric go-karts now. Never driven one, but after doing a couple Unser Karting sessions indoors, if they don't have proper ventilation the fumes can get overwhelming.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I can see electric being great for SM and MX tracks. Tracks could be in a city without the noise driving neighbors nuts, and you could swap out battery packs to keep going. I suppose that would work for big bikes too.

A dirt bike "resort" I sometimes visit was an Alta dealer (I think since purchased by Zero). I didn't get to ride it but people in the shop loved their electric trail bike - said the lack of reciprocating parts made it easy to put the bike wherever they wanted on the trail.

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I have a Kuberg Ranger 14kW (19h.p.) and just 110 pounds. It is wicked fast and the ultra light handling of this is sublime. Very nice suspension and after a fall you lift it back up with one hand! I've yet to see a better h.p./weight ratio in a dirt bike. I got it on Indiegogo for $4500 delivered. You're looking at close to $8k here now in the U.S. I got 18 miles and 3600' elevation gain in range before it came to a stop, about 4 miles was down hill.

It's closest competitor is Sur-Ron, check them both out, mega-fun!! IMO Cake and KTM are way over priced when all features are compared. I'm just can't be swayed from the super light Ranger. The Kuberg Freerider is sweet as well.
NOT made in China, some components are certainly sourced from there however.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I didn't know about the Ranger. It looks great. The seat is really interesting. I can pretend it's a trials bike and when I fail and fall off a big rock I can use the seat to limp my sorry ass home!

And with the adventure version the trailer would be great for hauling wheels to the tire guy at track days.

·
8,313 Posts
And with the adventure version the trailer would be great for hauling wheels to the tire guy at track days.
What adv version? I don't see that option. I'm looking for something that would double as a trails dirt bike and hauling wheels to tire guy at TDs.

·
Registered
765 Posts

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
The Ranger ADV version is the exact same bike, it is just the addition of the trailer. I'm standing with the seat down 98% of the time. This makes for even better handling than the already stellar flickability.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sur-ron looks too much like a cheap Chinese toy to me, and I want something with pedals in case I want to ride around local parks (and not get stopped)

Like this, too bad it's not available yet Luna Cycle Apollo also this one Luna Apex

I've heard not so great things about hub drives, that's a potential problem with the CAB Recon (aside from the crazy price tag)

·
8,313 Posts
E bike market is exploding, so many companies come & go. Bosh has figured out how to build an electric engine without many needed rare earth metals. Next year is gonna have some good options. I'm wondering if ordering any of these bikes is worth it now or waiting till next season. The Luna one looks pretty good too. But maintenance on it with gears will suck compared to Ranger.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KTM is more of a true moto bike, agree - it's also alot heavier

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
KTM is more of a true moto bike, agree - it's also alot heavier

...but 3x the power, and 13sec faster. I think if you want a bicycle, get the SUR-RON. If you want more of a motorcycle, get the KTM. I think the extra weight is in MUCH beefier suspension and frame. I weigh 250lb geared up, so I'll take the extra peace of mind of the beefier components any day.....if I wanted an electric bike. I'll take the 500EXC-F for the same weight, and a LOT more power.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I bought one of these (used) last year to turn into an electric pit bike for track days:
I stripped it down and now it's been sitting waiting for me to decide which of these kits to put in it:
I'm sure I'll get to it eventually!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts