BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Anybody on the forum using Dzus fasteners? If so, what length are you using?

I was looking on line (KurveyGirl - Motorcycle Stuff: Dzus Fasteners, angled valve stems, Vesrah and More) where they come in different length size (12, 13, 14 mm).
I've been using DZUS Lion quarter-turn fasteners by Southco (82-15-260-16 :: 81/82/85 - DZUS Lion Quarter-Turn Fasteners | Southco). They're common in civilian aviation applications, and McMaster carries the Phillips head version for about a buck apiece, including the retainer. Clip-style receptacles are 10/$4. The bail head version pricing depends on the supplier and quantity. I've never paid more than $1.50 each.

Depending on the location on the bodywork, I use grip lengths from .220" to .300".

·
Administrator
7,705 Posts
Yes - 14mm slotted screw (I used 18 in total (not mm but amount) for my race fairing)
I've been using DZUS Lion quarter-turn fasteners by Southco (82-15-260-16 :: 81/82/85 - DZUS Lion Quarter-Turn Fasteners | Southco). They're common in civilian aviation applications, and McMaster carries the Phillips head version for about a buck apiece, including the retainer. Clip-style receptacles are 10/$4. The bail head version pricing depends on the supplier and quantity. I've never paid more than $1.50 each.

Depending on the location on the bodywork, I use grip lengths from .220" to .300".
So that would follow along Ratemut's 14mm as well, correct?!

Yannick, you planning on using this for your Ilmberger Carbon Fiber stuff? Would it be safe to assume that 14mm should work on that too OR would there be difference in body work thickness?

·
Registered
218 Posts
here is the fitting instructions from my race fairing

Mounting Instruktion:
For the GRP or Carbon alpha Racing Fairings you need our 7 slotted screws. Every part could be order separate. You could use the original M5 screws with 2nM torque. For the GRP or Carbon alpha Racing Fairings you need our 7-parts mounting set with the included 14 mm slotted screws.

·
Registered
76 Posts
How many DZUS @ 14mm & retainers are required for standard fairing - & just confirmm they can be used on that with noo hassel or is it a hassel to fit the retainers etc:confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
yes i would like to know how many total we would need for the side fairings. sorry im being lazy.

since the d-rings could damage the paint from vibration, i was thinking the button heads street use.

thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts

Hey All,
Super Old thread, but when I search for anything DZus and S1000rr, this is the only real thing that comes up.
-First let me say: I'm not a handyman at all. I can tinker and figure it out, but I'm currently overseas. Ordering and Shipping the 'wrong thing', would be fairly heart breaking and time consuming.

tcchin:
I like this route you took: I'd like to follow it. I'm getting stuck on the measurements. *See attached Image*
When trying to order the kit for a flat Phillips, 1\4 turn; I eventually get to the below.

Everyone's pointing to 14mm Sized bolts, so the thickness shouldn't be too far off that??
I've been given a set of skins from (I believe) Hot Bodies or Catalyst Racing Composites. Either way, they are fiberglass... and they were free.

When working the math to 14mm on the SouthCo site, I get a error from the site saying the fastener has to be at least a 5mm. When I adjust for that, I then get an incomparable looping error.
Can you describe how you got to .220 -.300 ??

*Head Hangs Low*
Am I just going to have to break down and go buy a damned micrometer for a 10 second measurement??

Any other advise\ wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,463 Posts
Spend some time on KurveyGirl's site. There is a dimensional diagram and specifications for every type of Dzus she sells. Easy to figure out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts