BMW S1000RR Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Talking power numbers and prices:

Eric EDR Dorn/USA gets around 200-205rwhp out of a HP4 with full system, race fuel, raceECU, race airfilter and proper mapping - that's around 194rwhp on pump fuel.

Normal alphaRacing/GER stage2-3 with something from around 200 to 210rwhp costs roughly up to $9k on pump gas.

Eric EDR Dorn/USA stage 4 WSBK build is making around 223rwhp with UP race fuel. No need to tell you that this kind of engine sets you back at least $15k - from original 175-185rwhp stock :nerd:

Maximum rwhp I saw is around 232-240rwhp from a German tuner TGP and his PR12 bike on pump gas - but a complete engine build like this including a new engine is just below $50k - but are we ready for this? :surprise:

So if you can use these 175-185rwhp to 90% on the track then we are good for the next step 0:)

So with just a flash or pipe or whatever mod you don't get these numbers - they have happy dynos and they measure what you want to see :p

Also race fuel gives you around additional 6-7rwhp - but we don't drive around with this stuff on a daily basis :p

·
Registered
279 Posts
My own dyno results

Went from stock, to using a Bazzaz ZFi controller and a Yoshimura slip-on.

Max power went from 176.65 to 185.49
Max torque went from 76.67 to 80.02

Most of the power/torque gains were down low. The bike is noticeably torquier, which is good.

I could not do before/after on the Yoshi slip-on, though I don't think much, if any, of the power gains are due to it. Of course, it is lighter than stock (good), better looking (debatable - eye of the beholder), and less expensive in case of a crash, which is valuable as I track my bike. The sound the Yoshi makes is awesome. Louder than stock, a screamer at high revs, yet not as ear-piercingly loud as the SC Project.

A friend is running 196 hp with a full exhaust replacement (Brocks?), AND MR12 racing fuel.

·
5,004 Posts
A friend is running 196 hp with a full exhaust replacement (Brocks?), AND MR12 racing fuel.
What kind of mapping does your friend have? PCV or something else?

How long did it take to install Bazzaz on your bike?

·
Registered
279 Posts
What kind of mapping does your friend have? PCV or something else?

How long did it take to install Bazzaz on your bike?
He is running PCV for fuel tuning.

A mechanic installed the Bazzaz... I was there throughout and it took him about an hour- it would have taken me several hours, assuming I could have done it at all. The whole fuel tank has to come off, to have access to the cylinder head area where each fuel injector gets a connection. He installed it flawlessly, putting the control unit in the tail.
Keep in mind that if you race it, as I do, then the power connection has to be done in a way that when you unplug the rear lights, it still works. So it has to be upstream of those.

The power gains are solely the result of increasing fueling, especially at the lower rpm range where BMW's OEM mapping seems to starve the bike by running too lean (emissions, maybe?).

Reactions: z00

·
Registered
289 Posts
The only thing I'm puzzled about is how one bike gained 5hp in two months with no mod. It was several degrees warmer and humidity was ~ 10-15% higher. Again, I'll post the graph once I get it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Well no reason to be puzzled, a good tuner can easily give you + or - 5 hp at will. if you ever hear the term happy dyno you will know what I mean. Dyno numbers or dyno racing is not an exact science, just numbers to compare before and after within a short period of time and for tuning. I Just love these dyno threads.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Very interesting post. I had one of my bikes dynoed while it already on the machine having ProShift autoblipper calibrated. It had a worn out chain and sprocket but I was rather surprised with the results. They were much lower than I expected and did not match up with my "butt dyno" in comparing it to my stock machine. Converting the figure to crank horsepower helped me quantify the power and make a comparison against the stock machine.

It's also important to keep in mind that dyno figures on the whole are just a guide. Just because you have mega power does not mean it's actually useful. There's a balance that you have to have in order to make that power usable. The amazing thing is BMW does a great job in this complex balancing act making a machine that's not only powerful but usable and safe delivered on the showroom floor. While it's expected that the legal team makes them add a lot more safe it's still quite amazing.

On usable power. While it's great to have a bike with huge top end power it really sucks being handed your backside on corner exits by much less powerful bikes that have a more usable power band. If you are drag racing this of course is not a problem. It's all form vs function and configuration and tuning play into this a lot. It's much the same with sprocket choices and suspension choices. A setup that works perfectly in one place likely is a complete train wreck in a different environment.

TL;DR version? Just because you have 250hp does not mean you are actually going to be going any faster. :)

41 - 50 of 50 Posts