BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hey SRO, I was the guy before you guys. Couldn't stay because I was supposed to be bringing the family to Chesapeake, va and had to hurry back to get on the road. I honestly believe I need to change my filter back to stock..

He said he would come to us and would cost $500 for the whole day. He would run bikes all day.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Great meeting you yesterday. Sorry you weren't able to stick around for other dyno runs.

Some of my friends are considering hiring Chuck for the day. We can certainly get some folks to pitch in to cover his daily cost. We even have a location where he can set up.

I'm not chasing any number with my bike. If I were to participate in this session, I would want to compare the different between with and without a link pipe on a HP4 for the benefit of others. These results would not factor in any "learning" or "adopting" the ECU might be capable of.

Please feel free to PM your contact info to me. I'll see if I can get enough people together.

·
Super Moderator
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Or learn to ride the thing. For the price of an exhaust you can take the the CSS school and ride the snot out of their bikes.
Completely agree. I don't see myself doing anything else to my bike. The only "performance" related mod I have on my bike is the link pipe. I'll take CSS Level 1 in August followed by a two day camp next spring.

As discussed, I wouldn't mind going with a lithium battery and 520 chain once they are ready to be replaced. As it stands, I don't see a reason to spend money to replace these things.

·
Super Moderator
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
This is a 2013 bike with an AR GP3 system. I'll post the graph once I get it.

YouTube

This bike pulled 175hp stock in October 2013 and 176hp in April 2014.

Today it pulled 181hp, even tho the owner didn't make any additional mods. This was immediately after the dyno guy said it is very difficult to squeeze additional HP out of these bikes.
Here are the graphs for this bike. It shows both April and yesterday's runs. You can see how it went from 176.88 in April to 181.94 yesterday.

Attachments

·
Registered
332 Posts
Interesting info! Thanks for getting the shootout together and posting.. Real world numbers right there.... Not the 195hp inflated BS some shops/tuners are posting..

I never dynoed mine stock, but when I went to my normal tuner (Johnny Cheese Performance), I rolled in with a Brocks full system and PCV with brocks map, stock filter and 900 miles... I was expecting to see 190hp..... First few pulls were 176hp..:eek::rolleyes:

After about 5 hours on the dyno experimenting with different air fuel ratios and dialing in the area under the curve, we finally got the bike to make 185 hp... I was still disappointed compared to what I was seeing from other shops but.... I know Johnny's dyno's numbers match up to trap speeds at the drag strip so....ultimately, that's what counts..

I'm really on the fence about the BrenTuner right now...For $1k, I better see some HP gains... Not just low speed stuff...

·
Super Moderator
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm really on the fence about the BrenTuner right now...For $1k, I better see some HP gains... Not just low speed stuff...

A friend got one for his bike and saw minimal gains. I'll post results as soon as I'm able to install the dynojet reader on my computer.

You should be happy with 185 At the rear wheel. I don't think you'll get much more.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
A friend got one for his bike and saw minimal gains. I'll post results as soon as I'm able to install the dynojet reader on my computer.

You should be happy with 185 At the rear wheel. I don't think you'll get much more.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Does anyone know what the rev limit is that the top racers are using on they WSBK S1000RRs? It's pretty unrealistic to expect that an exhaust and tune is going to get close to what these guys have in heavily modified engines running higher rpms. Said another way, making a lot of noise doesn't mean you're making a lot of power.

Reactions: Terry Greenwood

·
Registered
473 Posts
Or learn to ride the thing. For the price of an exhaust you can take the the CSS school and ride the snot out of their bikes.
WOW!! Harsh, Man. And 100% true.

I have been to the CSS *EIGHT* times. Really pushed their RR as hard as I dared. Crashed twice at Laguna. Locked up the front at Willow Springs.

But now I know.

And the cost to find out was worth WAY more than the cost of an exhaust.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
WOW!! Harsh, Man. And 100% true.

I have been to the CSS *EIGHT* times. Really pushed their RR as hard as I dared. Crashed twice at Laguna. Locked up the front at Willow Springs.

But now I know.

And the cost to find out was worth WAY more than the cost of an exhaust.
I can see how I might be saying that someday how I've been a bunch of times. It's a very well run operation and 7 track sessions a day, on their bikes for two days in the camp. I'm definitely going back for the level 3/4 training camp next spring and could see doing this every year for a level 4 day or two.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Interesting info! Thanks for getting the shootout together and posting.. Real world numbers right there.... Not the 195hp inflated BS some shops/tuners are posting..

I never dynoed mine stock, but when I went to my normal tuner (Johnny Cheese Performance), I rolled in with a Brocks full system and PCV with brocks map, stock filter and 900 miles... I was expecting to see 190hp..... First few pulls were 176hp..:eek::rolleyes:

After about 5 hours on the dyno experimenting with different air fuel ratios and dialing in the area under the curve, we finally got the bike to make 185 hp... I was still disappointed compared to what I was seeing from other shops but.... I know Johnny's dyno's numbers match up to trap speeds at the drag strip so....ultimately, that's what counts..

If you mail the ECU you can save a few bucks. All depends on what you're looking for. I think the handheld allows for uploading of different maps on the fly and for a drag racer like you that might be useful.

·
Registered
332 Posts
If you mail the ECU you can save a few bucks. All depends on what you're looking for. I think the handheld allows for uploading of different maps on the fly and for a drag racer like you that might be useful.

Yes, I thought about that.... I figured I could get the Bren flash, then use my PCV to dial in the fuel curve on the dyno for max power... Only reason I would prefer the hand held vs the flash is for when it goes to the dealer for service, I can put the stock tune back in it so they don't potentially "update" my ECU and wipe out my Bren tune in the process...

From the Bren tune, I really want the extended rev limit, timing retards removed, throttle blade restriction removed, any kind of top speed limiter removed, Speedo limiter removed and maybe some additional timing advance up top.... I'll correct the fueling myself. All of this stuff sounds cool but does it actually translate to a faster bike--that is the question.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Yes, I thought about that.... I figured I could get the Bren flash, then use my PCV to dial in the fuel curve on the dyno for max power... Only reason I would prefer the hand held vs the flash is for when it goes to the dealer for service, I can put the stock tune back in it so they don't potentially "update" my ECU and wipe out my Bren tune in the process...

From the Bren tune, I really want the extended rev limit, timing retards removed, throttle blade restriction removed, any kind of top speed limiter removed, Speedo limiter removed and maybe some additional timing advance up top.... I'll correct the fueling myself. All of this stuff sounds cool but does it actually translate to a faster bike--that is the question.
I guess you'll have to find out! :) A lot of racers use it and say they feel the difference. The bike doesn't necessarily need more power to be faster. If you were local you could have gone to the local S1000rr day they are having and offering discounted rates. I wish I had waited and saved the few bucks!

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Does anyone know what the rev limit is that the top racers are using on they WSBK S1000RRs? It's pretty unrealistic to expect that an exhaust and tune is going to get close to what these guys have in heavily modified engines running higher rpms. Said another way, making a lot of noise doesn't mean you're making a lot of power.
14,500-14,750. They use the extra area for overrev space, it allows you to skip a shift at some corners on some tracks some times.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
I don't feel bad then, I got Taylor Made exhaust,2010 w/ 10k miles new stock air filter and new spark plugs, fresh oil change Bazzaz @ 65 deg low humidity ( don't remember exact). SAE Dyno 175 hp on pump gas.
That's fine with me because I did not get the pipe because of the hp to begin with.

·
Super Moderator
9,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Figured that was the reasoning but there was a little in me that was hoping the s1k was so mighty that she could produce those numbers with some mods lol

Some minor mods like a purposely built motor. Don't let some fool you by saying then got 200+ with a flash. That might be the case on a happy motor. I'm talking smoking something happy.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts