BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some videos and graphs from a dyno shootout I attended with several forum members. I'm sharing these videos and results as I captured them. I'm not promoting or discounting any products or services. If anything, maybe some members will appreciate how different systems sound.

There are two key takeaways from today. One, stock S1000RRs are very strong. As noted by PittsDriver, two different fairly stock machines pulled 177.XX. I say fairly stock because one was completely stock and the other had a K&N filter and a Yoshimura slip-on long can (no full exhaust system). Second, I don't know if I can accept dyno results. One bike gained 5hp with no mods.

Please note, some graphs do not have torque results because the dyno operator was unable to access the spark plug wire on some of our bikes.

I'll post individual videos and graphs below.

·
Super Moderator
9,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a 2013 bike with an AR GP3 system. I'll post the graph once I get it.

YouTube

This bike pulled 175hp stock in October 2013 and 176hp in April 2014.

Today it pulled 181hp, even tho the owner didn't make any additional mods. This was immediately after the dyno guy said it is very difficult to squeeze additional HP out of these bikes.

·
Super Moderator
9,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There was one S1000RR before this set. He had a full Akrapovic shorty, PCV, and BMC filter and pulled 168. He expected well over 190.

What did all this teach me? I expect these bikes to pull 175-180hp, which is inline with what BMW initially reported. I don't know how some folks are getting 195-200hp at the rear wheel. I'm personally impressed with 177 from a stock bike.

The only thing I'm puzzled about is how one bike gained 5hp in two months with no mod. It was several degrees warmer and humidity was ~ 10-15% higher. Again, I'll post the graph once I get it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
670 Posts
So it sounds like if you want to add HP it'll cost you around $1000 per 1 HP.

Ya...I think I'll pass!

Thanks for the data.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
I'm going to say that the vast majority of owners looking for a bigger HP number aren't really using it and it's an ego thing. If we were riding an R1 we'd be tickled with smaller numbers. I'm not saying that desparagingly. I do ego stuff all the time - like ride an S1000RR when my track bike probably should be an R6. The reason I bring that up is because there are still great reasons to put an exhaust and tune on these bikes - looks and weight. The full system with no cat really drops some weight and cleans up the bike and the long can on it keeps the sound to a less than obnoxious level. The system sro has on his HP4 with stock tune make near 180 wrhp so it's nice to know that I can get better appearance, way less weight, and a couple ponies with a nice sound.

I'm not sure it makes sense to compare any of these numbers to any other dyno or even the same dyno on a different day. This dyno was in a trailer and it's hauled around from site to site for testing. It makes me wonder if its calibration could change a little from tests a few months ago vs yesterday. You'd think warmer temp and higher humidity would rob hp, not add it. So that's a puzzle. But what's interesting about this shoutout format is that these bikes compared back to back should be pretty well a level playing field.

·
Super Moderator
9,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So it sounds like if you want to add HP it'll cost you around $1000 per 1 HP.

Ya...I think I'll pass!

Thanks for the data.

I don't know if I would make such a declaration. Only conclusion I would make is that these bikes are strong out of the box. Besides, how many of us actually utilize these bike to its fullest potential. My riding mostly utilize middle of the powerban. I'm rarely at the top of it. I just don't see how some folks are getting 10-20 hp gains with tunes.

Bottom line, BMW has done an amazing job with these bikes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
448 Posts
Besides, how many of us actually utilize these bike to its fullest potential. My riding mostly utilize middle of the powerban. I'm rarely at the top of it. Sent from Motorcycle.com App
That's one of the main reasons I bought the S1K; I know that I will probably NEVER ride it to its full potential and therefore will never get bored of it.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hey sro, it was good meeting you guys yesterday.

Just to chime in, I would replace the stock exhaust simply just for the looks and sound. However, I think that I would be disappointed if I lost HP...no matter how small.

·
Registered
670 Posts
That's one of the main reasons I bought the S1K; I know that I will probably NEVER ride it to its full potential and therefore will never get bored of it.
Exactly. My point was I'd rather add some bling or something functional like a better seat, bar ends, etc. that I may actually use vs tossing away thousands for a few extra ponies that will never leave the barn! YMMV

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hey SRO, I was the guy before you guys. Couldn't stay because I was supposed to be bringing the family to Chesapeake, va and had to hurry back to get on the road. Yesterday's tune which was disappointing was akrapovic full exhaust, BMC filter and brens tuning. 2 years ago on that same dyno I ran 177 with same exhaust, filter, PCV and autotune. I honestly believe I need to change my filter back to stock, check and make sure I dont have any exhaust leaks and probably change my spark plugs as I have done a lot of rain riding and got caught in a heavy down pour earlier this month that had my bike sputtering initially. I got chucks number for the dyno and plan on setting up another dyno shootout if anyone is interested. He said he would come to us and would cost $500 for the whole day. He would run bikes all day. So for folk that want to try multiple maps with different octanes can go that day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Btw a friend in NY sent me his dyno sheet which had 190 with 93 pump gas but it wasn't hp/rpm. I chose to make sure mine was dynoed that way I could troubleshoot any issues. I will update once I have all my stuff checked out. Regardless its definitely a different bike with the lower gear restrictions removed.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Exactly. My point was I'd rather add some bling or something functional like a better seat, bar ends, etc. that I may actually use vs tossing away thousands for a few extra ponies that will never leave the barn! YMMV
Or learn to ride the thing. For the price of an exhaust you can take the the CSS school and ride the snot out of their bikes.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts