BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anybody happens to know or could measure out for me real quick. I need the diameter of the stock headlight dust covers. I replaced my stock lights with:

https://headlightrevolution.com/gtr-lighting-csp-mini-led-headlights-h7-bulbs/

They work nice but prevent the stock dust cap from catching and screwing on. I want to buy some after market extended dust cap covers and was hoping someone knew the stock diameter.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
....... I wish this site would save drafts. I had so much typed out and I accidentally closed the page:crying:.

short and sweet, @route246wraith , the 70mm I bought from amazon are a soft rubber / silicon rubber cap that goes completely over the outter lip of the H7 housing. They bend from the forks on full lock left or right. They don't slide off easily atm, we'll see how they hold up to heat and vibration over time. will look for some that actually screw into the locking mechanism AND give me the extra space needed to house the bulb.

the OEM dust cover is about 67.5mm OD, and 50mm ID from hard plastic lock to lock.

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Keep me updated. I currently have HIDs but would love to move to LED and keep everything inside the housing. Right now the HID ballasts are wired through the back of the housing cap and are velcro'd to the inside of the fairings.

-Sam

·
Registered
42 Posts
Keep me updated. I currently have HIDs but would love to move to LED and keep everything inside the housing. Right now the HID ballasts are wired through the back of the housing cap and are velcro'd to the inside of the fairings.

-Sam

UPDATE:

I'm currently working with someone to come up with a complete solution. I have new LED replacement headlights and marker lights installed and functioning. I aimed both headlights (huge difference) and I can actually see now. More to come on this...

-Sam

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've test fitted some new 3D-printed dust caps for the headlights. They fit with tons of extra room when used with the LEDs I'm running. I've spoken with the maker about making them slightly shorter to accommodate a little extra room for the forks when at full lock. Right now they barely touch if you push the handlebars hard all the way to each side. Most normal riding would never experience them touching.

I measured the stock cap height as being approximately 24mm. The caps in these pictures are 44mm tall. I've also included pictures of the back of the LED bulbs I'm using so you can see what I'm working with.

-Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
60 Posts
Following......

·
Registered
8 Posts
I sent some measurements and a picture of my cap to Sam. I can't figure out how to post a picture that isn't twice as big as the screen, so I won't. It's been working for me just fine (using the Stark Phantom LEDs).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've test fitted some new 3D-printed dust caps for the headlights. They fit with tons of extra room when used with the LEDs I'm running. I've spoken with the maker about making them slightly shorter to accommodate a little extra room for the forks when at full lock. Right now they barely touch if you push the handlebars hard all the way to each side. Most normal riding would never experience them touching.

I measured the stock cap height as being approximately 24mm. The caps in these pictures are 44mm tall. I've also included pictures of the back of the LED bulbs I'm using so you can see what I'm working with.

-Sam
Would you happen to have either be selling the caps, or the printing files for these?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts