BMW S1000RR Forum banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
I like the RR, especially the engine. I like the R1M also, and of course my 1299. I never had issues with my Ducs, but I ride this brand only since 2014, knowing that some Ducatis had more probs in earlier days. 45'000 Monster 1200S, 16'000 1299S with 3000km Track. And I had no issues with my S1000RR. Lucky man.

To be honest: While riding on the street I'm not interested if the displacement is 1000, 1200, 1300cc. If BMW would launch a 1200cc with 250hp... ok. If it's fun to ride: Fine.

I rode the V4 on a mild sunny winterday in January. The dealer passed me the key for his virgin V4S and let me two hours play. 8 till 10° Celsius, new Pirelli SP and a new bike: I was pretty careful.

First surprise is the sound. Euro-4, but it's far from beeing gentle. Other than any other four-cylinder. Sounds more like a V2 on dope. I like it :). Second surprise is the wide usable speed range, strong in the middle, rocket above 10'000. I don't like narrow-chested superbike engines on the street. But this power plant will generate more fun off the race-track than many friends would imagine before they were driven the first 80 kilometers. On the track I'm sure it will be a lot of fun and a lot of speed.

I couldn't really evaluate the chassis. To cold, to gentle my ride. But I felt very comfortable.

I don't need to make a descision between two bikes so I can afford the luxury of liking more than one :). It's nearly all about having fun - for me.

Testride January

Some Photoshop. I like the design of the 1299s more but with some decals...

·
Registered
456 Posts
Ducati V4

At $27.000 Grand that's "Mucha Lira"
A lot quality parts can be purchased with the difference in price between the RR and V4.

It's your money but after reading the test in Road Racing World is all the electronic aids necessarily riding in the Real World ?

On the Race track,Yes. But,playing on your favorite back road or track day,I'm not so sure.

Just Thinking Out Loud

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
must be NICE to get handed one for 2 hours : ) boy the damage i could do in 2 hours ........ i notice they have heat shields on the pipes again but at 10c probably was a comfort

·
Registered
15 Posts
At $27.000 Grand that's "Mucha Lira"
A lot quality parts can be purchased with the difference in price between the RR and V4.

It's your money but after reading the test in Road Racing World is all the electronic aids necessarily riding in the Real World ?

On the Race track,Yes. But,playing on your favorite back road or track day,I'm not so sure.

Just Thinking Out Loud
Based on the price and your comments about real world that is one of the reason I have also thought the Ducati 959 Panigale Corse would be the better additional complement to a BMW in the Garage :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
The counter rotating crank is the big draw of this bike beyond the switch to a twin pulse(?) firing order V4 engine. I'm curious if this will shake up the rest of the competitors and be something we see on 2020+ bikes.

·
Banned
4,268 Posts
I like the RR, especially the engine. I like the R1M also, and of course my 1299. I never had issues with my Ducs, but I ride this brand only since 2014, knowing that some Ducatis had more probs in earlier days. 45'000 Monster 1200S, 16'000 1299S with 3000km Track. And I had no issues with my S1000RR. Lucky man.

To be honest: While riding on the street I'm not interested if the displacement is 1000, 1200, 1300cc. If BMW would launch a 1200cc with 250hp... ok. If it's fun to ride: Fine.

I rode the V4 on a mild sunny winterday in January. The dealer passed me the key for his virgin V4S and let me two hours play. 8 till 10° Celsius, new Pirelli SP and a new bike: I was pretty careful.

First surprise is the sound. Euro-4, but it's far from beeing gentle. Other than any other four-cylinder. Sounds more like a V2 on dope. I like it :). Second surprise is the wide usable speed range, strong in the middle, rocket above 10'000. I don't like narrow-chested superbike engines on the street. But this power plant will generate more fun off the race-track than many friends would imagine before they were driven the first 80 kilometers. On the track I'm sure it will be a lot of fun and a lot of speed.

I couldn't really evaluate the chassis. To cold, to gentle my ride. But I felt very comfortable.

I don't need to make a descision between two bikes so I can afford the luxury of liking more than one :). It's nearly all about having fun - for me.
That's awesome that you got to ride it, thanks for your impressions! I'd love to take one for a spin!

·
Registered
529 Posts
The counter rotating crank is the big draw of this bike beyond the switch to a twin pulse(?) firing order V4 engine. I'm curious if this will shake up the rest of the competitors and be something we see on 2020+ bikes.
Yes this is going to make all manufactures put one in now for WSBK. Every bike should have it when the new updates come in a few years. I think they will dominate super stock 1000 with it as well next year when the R comes out.

·
4,831 Posts
Sounds like ass and the dash looks like a video game, hate the dash.
It might not be the best choice, BUT it will look great at Starbucks, a chick and a c0ck magnet lol

121 - 132 of 132 Posts