BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Please do. Write up an initial impressions/comparison and then hit us with another one 6 months into ownership.

I am also interested in this new V4 from Duc. Italian stallion or Italian grenade? How does it stack up against our German mistress...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
back when i bought the hp4 i rode both for an hour (not the v4 of course) but going from the Duc to the bmw was night and day (for all the duc fans) yes i know its the passion - well id rather not be stuck on the side of the road w my passion ..... just curious if the V4 will be any different....

·
4,822 Posts
I'm interested in V4 duc as well. I was spoiled by BMW 3 year/36k miles warranty. Duc is only 2 year with unlimited miles.

Also, not sure if Duc will get it right on a new engine on the first year. I don't recall Duc mass producing V4 engines.

My biggest gripe with Duc is how hard it is to work on them. Cannot put no-cut frame sliders and it takes forever to remove fairings. Hopefully maintenance schedule will be better than Aprilia's.

Honda will have a new v4 blade in 19 with a similar frame to v4 Duc. Looks like 19 is the year to buy a new bike, not 18.

Reactions: eagle734

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
two issues for me #1 frying your ass and legs (tho they might have sorted that out) #2 having to carry around a mm wrench so u can have brakes after a 100 miles or so .....

if there was a new HP coming in 19 id be the first inline

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I don't buy into the whole "passion" or "soul" thing. A machine is a machine, thus they cannot HAVE "passion" or a "soul". They can have CHARACTERISTICS (you know, never running or running right, frying your ballz, etc.) which owners are passionate ABOUT, but not actually themselves have either.

Me, the shriek of an inline-4 at high RPM and load ALWAYS makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up (maybe because I haven't shaved it in a while, but I digress....), and I have "passion" for my bike. I love the thing, best bike I've ever owned, by far. Far faster, more powerful, and more capable than I could ever use, stable as a rock, tons of great and useful features, especially for me as a STREET rideer, and almost as reliable as I'd ever want. What more could anyone ever ask of a machine?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't buy into the whole "passion" or "soul" thing. A machine is a machine, thus they cannot HAVE "passion" or a "soul". They can have CHARACTERISTICS (you know, never running or running right, frying your ballz, etc.) which owners are passionate ABOUT, but not actually themselves have either.

Me, the shriek of an inline-4 at high RPM and load ALWAYS makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up (maybe because I haven't shaved it in a while, but I digress....), and I have "passion" for my bike. I love the thing, best bike I've ever owned, by far.w Far faster, more powerful, and more capable than I could ever use, stable as a rock, tons of great and useful features, especially for me as a STREET rideer, and almost as reliable as I'd ever want. What more could anyone ever ask of a machine?
For street/everyday use, I 100% agree!

Now.... If I had bottomless pockets I definitely would be looking to add a Panigale Speciale to the stable. It would be my sunny day, above 70 degrees, but below 76 degrees, no clouds in the forecast for 48 hours, and humidity less than 35% rider. The other 362 days I would just look at it’s beauty!! Lol...

-John

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
For street/everyday use, I 100% agree!

Now.... If I had bottomless pockets I definitely would be looking to add a Panigale Speciale to the stable. It would be my sunny day, above 70 degrees, but below 76 degrees, no clouds in the forecast for 48 hours, and humidity less than 35% rider. The other 362 days I would just look at it’s beauty!! Lol...

-John
As far as pure looks go, well, I do think the Panigale IS more beautiful.....but with bottomless pockets, I'd rather have an HP4 Race, now THAT is a beautiful bike!

Reactions: BTB

·
Registered
529 Posts
My mate has one on order. Doesn’t get it till October 2018. For $62500aus I’d wait to see what the new RR looks like. You’d be pissed if they released the RR with a carbon frame it would be instantly better. Also ducs have to many issues.

·
4,822 Posts
My mate has one on order. Doesn’t get it till October 2018. For $62500aus I’d wait to see what the new RR looks like. You’d be pissed if they released the RR with a carbon frame it would be instantly better. Also ducs have to many issues.
But it will look so sexy at Starbucks >:). Plus the V4 duc will require valve check at 15k miles. A bit more acceptable, not far from 18k on RR. But both still so far from 24k for R1.

I guess in Aus bikes get there a bit later. Here v4 Duc will be available around May 18.

Reactions: kihtay

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
But it will look so sexy at Starbucks >:). Plus the V4 duc will require valve check at 15k miles. A bit more acceptable, not far from 18k on RR. But both still so far from 24k for R1.

I guess in Aus bikes get there a bit later. Here v4 Duc will be available around May 18.
please please please tell me you won't check the valve clearances until 24,000 miles

you will be back with the carbon RR in 2020 LOL>:)

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
I'm betting my avatar you won't see a C/F frame on a regular production (not and HP4 Race or even HP4) S1000RR for many years.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Me, the shriek of an inline-4 at high RPM and load ALWAYS makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up (maybe because I haven't shaved it in a while, but I digress....), and I have "passion" for my bike. I love the thing, best bike I've ever owned, by far. Far faster, more powerful, and more capable than I could ever use, stable as a rock, tons of great and useful features, especially for me as a STREET rideer, and almost as reliable as I'd ever want. What more could anyone ever ask of a machine?
damn u nailed it ! Me, the shriek of an inline-4 at high RPM and load ALWAYS makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up"

·
4,822 Posts
please please please tell me you won't check the valve clearances until 24,000 miles

you will be back with the carbon RR in 2020 LOL>:)
I have ~5k track miles on R1. The springs on 15-16 are known to snap. So I'm waiting for that to happen and I'll get valves checked then.

I have 4 year Yamaha warranty, I did ask service manager about valves, he said as long as I follow the service intervals in manual done at a dealership any engine issues would be covered. So if springs don't snap, yes I'll get valves checked at 24k. It's Japanese baby.

Valve check is no indicator of engine health, I had RR 18k service, dealership said valves are all within spec, 4k later and all of them were out of spec and engine blew up. If there is a manufacturing defect, no check is gonna help. Gotta have a warranty and a good lawyer :wink2:

Reactions: smash adams

·
Registered
529 Posts

Na that’s just the Just the Speciale. The first run of them get some here in may/June then the second lot come in October. My mate didn’t get get in quick enough so he’s on the October list.

He’s trading his R1M in and just tracking his R6 for the year while he waits. I personally wouldn’t buy the first run of any duc look at how **** the 1199 was.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm betting my avatar you won't see a C/F frame on a regular production (not and HP4 Race or even HP4) S1000RR for many years.
While I agree I think there’s a possibility of them adding the carbon wheels as an option And that’s only because bmw said they are stronger than the cast ones. It’s just hard to know operational life. They build a lot of structual car parts out of it so I don’t think they’d be to far from bikes and bmw will have to bring a game changer.

·
Registered
959 Posts
My BMW dealer rumored that the carbon frame might be an optional extra on the 19' bike. I'd be surprised if they didn't use it for a new road-going HP4Road or something like that. The can produce the new CF frames in under 2 hrs. I'm sure they'd do this for a limited run bike for a pretty premium.
The '19 bike is holding me back on so many upgrades to my '16

1 - 20 of 132 Posts