BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
2,471 Posts
I am not a DUC fan at all, but that is pretty. dry clutch... arrgh... I wonder if they fixed some of the rattle.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I am not a DUC fan at all, but that is pretty. dry clutch... arrgh... I wonder if they fixed some of the rattle.
The dream combo would be K-67 ticking plus the duc dry clutch. Wouldn't even have to listen to the engine with that symphony

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
The rattle is endemic to the design, like exhaust noise on an internal combustion engine. With both, whether you like the sound of a given example or not.

There are a number of benefits to a dry clutch - which is why MotoGP bikes use them.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Sexy as hell. Why can't BMW design a bike that sexy? That exhaust...wow...like it a lot.

Too bad it's a Ducati...:)

·
Vendor
2,471 Posts
The rattle is endemic to the design, like exhaust noise on an internal combustion engine. With both, whether you like the sound of a given example or not.

There are a number of benefits to a dry clutch - which is why MotoGP bikes use them.
I will tell you one Dry clutch application OEM that did not rattle. Suzuki 1985 GSXR 750. Wow what a bike, and the start of my ownership in sportbikes. My friend had the 85 limited edition 750, and I got the 1986 Suzuki GSXR1100 as soon as it hit the showroom floors. I drove to Abilene Texas to buy that thing brand new. I will never forget that day seeing that motorcycle for the first time in person.

Back in the day when "GAME CHANGER" was used

https://www.motorcycleclassics.com/classic-japanese-motorcycles/classic-suzuki-motorcycles/suzuki-gsx-r750-zmmz18jazhur

https://raresportbikesforsale.com/tag/dry-clutch/page/2/

·
Administrator
6,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd argue there are more negatives than positives hence no one else using them on a street bike. Same goes for the single sided swing arm. Also using belts over chains. Ducati is more about aesthetics over functionality.

·
Premium Member
4,067 Posts
I'd argue there are more negatives than positives hence no one else using them on a street bike.
For street bikes and the average owner, yes. Dry clutches do not put above with abuse and need more regular servicing.

For race bikes they are more efficient (no fluid drag), and are quick and easy to service.

They are also easy and quick to service on a street bike as well, but most owners will not do their own oil change, let alone deal with a clutch - no matter how easy it is.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
For race bikes they are more efficient (no fluid drag), and are quick and easy to service.

They are also easy and quick to service on a street bike as well, but most owners will not do their own oil change, let alone deal with a clutch - no matter how easy it is.
This. There's also less heat transfer to the engine from the clutch since it doesn't share oil with it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts