BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to Gainesville drag strip Weds. night (test & tune) and best run on 700 mile bike was 10.75 (with a slow 60' launch @ 2.2 sec.) but with a BIG Speed of 155.72 mph !!! The modified Busa riders couldn't believe my speed. The top speed is indicative of the horsrepower these things make. This was the last pass of the night, 66 degs., 180lb novice rider. This was in 'race mode' with traction control on, shifting second, third and fourth @ 12,000 rpm. This thing ate a CBR 1000 (that got me on a hole shot) and I ran him down like it was a 600. He ran 140mphs all night with the same ET. Only a turbo charged, stretched Hayabusa had a better speed than the bone stock BMW. A nitrous, stretched ZX10 had a quicker ET also (8.9) but I had him on speed too. These things are freiggen fast, next week I'll try shifting at 13,000 and a few runs with traction control off. With a lighter pro jockey these things can get 9's. Anyone there yet???

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you can program your shift light to come on at 10.5k and turn off at 13.5k, keep it so you have that light flashing the entire 1/4 mile and you'll blow your mind when you see your results.

Here's the MPH chart for each gear from 10.5k to 13.5k so you can have an idea of the speeds you'll see, and if you look at a dyno for those RPMs that is THE sweet spot.

1st:69-89
2nd:88-113
3rd:106-137
4th:123-158
5th:135-174

So when you shift to 2nd it should put you right at 10.6k, 2nd to 3rd should put you at 11.2k, 3rd to 4th would be 11.75k, 4th to 5th would be 12.2k.

You can notice the higher the gear the closer it keeps you to the max HP that you get at 13k, the HP dosn't just drop after 13k, it creeps down a little before hitting the limiter, but if you can keep your revs at 13.5k before shifting it will improve your times.

·
Registered
10 Posts
a slow 60' launch @ 2.2 sec.
Wait, does the traction control not work very well for launching?

I thought 60' times (in addition to final speed) would be the one place the traction control would let you surprise the long swing-arm simpletons. :confused:

Hell, I did a 1.92 sec launch on a Husky SM510R, and was being a total wussy on the launch (too easy to stand up a big torquey supermoto on that sticky drag strip)

·
Registered
270 Posts
Wait, does the traction control not work very well for launching?

I thought 60' times (in addition to final speed) would be the one place the traction control would let you surprise the long swing-arm simpletons. :confused:

Hell, I did a 1.92 sec launch on a Husky SM510R, and was being a total wussy on the launch (too easy to stand up a big torquey supermoto on that sticky drag strip)
It's hard to get used to the fact that DTC will save your ass in a full throttle start, every other bike you'll end up on your back. It's just a matter of building up enough courage to try it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's hard to get used to the fact that DTC will save your ass in a full throttle start, every other bike you'll end up on your back. It's just a matter of building up enough courage to try it.
TC is horrible for launching and should be left off until you start making turns. It cuts power and makes the motor bog like you just dumped the clutch, then the power comes back on, causing a wheelie or tire spin, which causes the power to be cut again in a vicious cycle. Some people prefer to leave TC off for a lap or two, or until the batshit jockeying for position mellows out. This kinda defies the argument that TC helps to manage cold tire slides, but sometimes you need all the power you can get, even at the expense of a big, gnarly slide or a big wheelie.

·
Registered
270 Posts
TC is horrible for launching and should be left off until you start making turns. It cuts power and makes the motor bog like you just dumped the clutch, then the power comes back on, causing a wheelie or tire spin, which causes the power to be cut again in a vicious cycle. Some people prefer to leave TC off for a lap or two, or until the batshit jockeying for position mellows out. This kinda defies the argument that TC helps to manage cold tire slides, but sometimes you need all the power you can get, even at the expense of a big, gnarly slide or a big wheelie.
Maybe I'm not pushing the bike hard enough, or being abrupt enough to get this "vicious cycle" but I've had no problem like this, power has been smooth, but most of my traction control is in the wrist.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
10.7, nice work! Drag racing, although it's "just going in a straight line", is a sport precisely because of the skill involved in launching (get into funny cars or top fuel, then there skill in trying to **stay** in a straight line!!).

9.9 has been done on this bike with a pro rider, quicker than a ZX-14 on the same track, same day. Stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
9.9 is a good time for any stock standard bike,but makes me wonder what the mph would be for such a time if 10.70 @ 156 mph is true? so must be at least 165mph for a 9.9 second run..to be honest i find that very hard to believe in any case hayabusas and zx 14 have done stock standard 9.5-9.6 1/4 mile
but their mph have not been that high.. would they have so much midrange grunt that they still destroy the s1000rr in the 1/4 mile? i think so!

·
Registered
68 Posts
9.9 is a good time for any stock standard bike,but makes me wonder what the mph would be for such a time if 10.70 @ 156 mph is true? so must be at least 165mph for a 9.9 second run..to be honest i find that very hard to believe in any case hayabusas and zx 14 have done stock standard 9.5-9.6 1/4 mile
but their mph have not been that high.. would they have so much midrange grunt that they still destroy the s1000rr in the 1/4 mile? i think so!
no way a STOCK non strapped ZX14 or busta hits mid 9's. a 9.9 *maybe*

now if you strap it down, then it's possible.

Then again, strap down the S1000RR and add a swing arm and you're looking at an 8 second bike easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I guess I wanted to believe traction control had gotten better over the years. I turn it off on my car (2003 M3) most of the time, because unless you have no skill at all or you are in very slippery conditions it is much slower under all conditions, but ESPECIALLY during launch due to its intrusiveness… but in that case it is either on or off.

I assumed that if you had a setting like “race” mode as the S1000RR does, it would allow the optimum amount of slippage for acceleration and light power cutoff to control wheelie. It sounds like this doesn’t happen very well. I found another thread talking about the launch control, and how this isn’t anything more than a light the ride can use to maintain a threshold rpm.

I guess even the latest technology is no match for the supercomputer located inside the riders helmet. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Did you use the launch control:cool:? How about the quickshifter? Did you warm the tire in the water box or after you rode through it?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Did you use the launch control:cool:? How about the quickshifter? Did you warm the tire in the water box or after you rode through it?
We were using the launch assist light. All of this happens before the first upshift, so yeah, we were using the quickshifter, but we hadn't gotten up to shifting speed before the rodeo started. We are a roadracce team and we used tire warmers and had a warmup lap before the race start, so the tire was plenty warm to the core.

·
Registered
852 Posts
156 mph Damn thats fast :eek:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
no way a STOCK non strapped ZX14 or busta hits mid 9's. a 9.9 *maybe*

now if you strap it down, then it's possible.

Then again, strap down the S1000RR and add a swing arm and you're looking at an 8 second bike easy.
high 9s are consistently done on bone-stock ZX-14s if the rider knows what he's doing. Saw a YouTube vid where a bike journalist (with zero drag experience) was coached into running into the nines. Took about ten runs before he got it together.

Mid 9s, haven't seen that on a stock ZX-14 or Hayabusa.

I imagine it won't be long before we see a drag-spec S1000RR....

·
Registered
10 Posts
What a joke, those times are done on the dyno. You can't tell ANYTHING from those.
I didn't see that stated, they even went so far as to compare it to dyno runs, but it makes sense as all those times seemed to be a bit fast. If it is too good to be true it probably is.

The one thing you can tell which bike makes the most HP... which you can also already tell from the dyno, so yeah I don't get why you would run a 1/4 mile drag on a dyno? :confused:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I didn't see that stated, they even went so far as to compare it to dyno runs, but it makes sense as all those times seemed to be a bit fast. If it is too good to be true it probably is.

The one thing you can tell which bike makes the most HP... which you can also already tell from the dyno, so yeah I don't get why you would run a 1/4 mile drag on a dyno? :confused:
because it's cheap, and shows horsepower, but nothing else really. It says nothing of a bike's ability to launch, aerodynamics or anything really...

doing it on the dyno is the only way they got those sort of graphs, and why the times are so bloody fast.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts