BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Drag racing the S1000RR

9K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Anderson 
#1 ·
I'm headed to the dragstrip with my S1000RR next weekend (29/30). I've got my paperwork ready and I'm hoping to get at least two 9 second passes so I can get licensed.

I ran a couple of weeks ago and got a best of 10.280 with 1.9 60'. I was launching at 6k, shifting some time near or after the rev limiter and running in slick mode with traction control on.

The goal for next weekend will be 9k launches and 13k shifts. I've put over 1k miles on the bike since the last race, so I'm a heck of a lot more comfortable on her now!

Anyone else care to share some insight on their launch and or shifting?

#7 ·
There's a guy down there named Eric Robinson. He is Squirrel Racing and he builds drag bikes. He's also a cool guy and fun to talk to. Most of the bikes at Woodburn are dedicated drag bikes, but not all! A lot of them run PIR on wednesdays (1/8 mile) and Woodburn on the weekends. NWDragbike events are a ton of fun.

russianvr4- I'm surprised your 60' is that high with a 9.6. Sounds like fun though. I can't wait to give it a shot.

jgraves- I'm running completely stock. I hope to get a strap next month. That should help the front quite a bit. A new chip is a lot different than a power commander. I have only run the PC III, not the race one, but it only helps optimize your tune. A chip could potentially get more. I hadn't heard about a drag-specific chip. I don't know that I would shell out much for one.

#6 ·
What type of modifications did you have to do to your S 1000 RR to get it prepared for the dragstrip? In example, exhaust modifications, suspension, and a power commander? Rumor has it BMW Motorsports is planning a new power commander or ECU chip for the S 1000 RR specifically for racing and the dragstrip. Have you heard about this?

#9 ·
+1
I'll get a strap for the front end and a -1 sprocket for the front. It's easy stuff that I can change at home or at the track for the drags. I plan on bracket racing next year with her, but this isn't my race bike. I still want to have fun off the track too, so I won't be doing anything too wild.

#10 ·
Yep, you will definitely need a strap for the front and some adjustable lowering links for the rear. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh? The reason I'm asking is, if the bike is still stock wheel base then there is no need to make the bike more aggressive by changing the sprocket. This bike makes a lot of power, with more seat time you should be able to get your times to low 9's and maybe even 8's if determined! Email me if you have any questions, domonicanderson@gmail.com. Good luck, be safe and go fast!

Domonic Anderson

#11 ·
ooh, the man himself!

did you do any clutch mods to run 8's?
im having a hell of a time getting the clutch to slip gradually for a good launch.
im either spinning, bogging or wheelying :( best 60' is a shitty 1.789. any tips there?

what was done power wise on the bike you piloted in the 8's? im trapping 154 currently with only modified stock exhaust(cut off cat/muffler) and PCV.

#13 ·
LMAO, I love the pic!! Well you shouldn't be spinning if your stock wheel base, that lets me know either you didn't do a good burnout, you might have lined up in a bad spot or the track wasn't prepped good. If your bogging, that just lets me know that the rpms were not up enough to leave or you dump the clutch at the line and if your wheeling then you need to slide the clutch a little bit longer. Try having someone record you as you make a pass to see your mistakes and document on every slip what changes you made. The bike I currently ride, we haven't done anything to the motor, (no need). I do have a Brock's pipe, Penske Race shock, McIntosch swing arm and a clutch mod to help me slide it easier. I had more fun when it was stock wheel base, was more of a challenge, (9.13 is a personal best swb, with 60ft's varying between 1.52-1.56). You can email me anytime with ?'s, domonicanderson@gmail.com. Good luck, be safe and go fast!

YouTube - Exclusive: BMW S1000RR Dragster takes the real test. Jamarcus Gaston gets the story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.