BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
**** rider - how did he lose to that 720s in the second run? The first run was more in line with what we would expect.

·
Premium Member
4,072 Posts
The 720S can scoot from zero to 60 mph in 2.7 seconds, reaches 100 mph in 5.2 seconds, and runs 9s in the quarter mile. This is superbike territory.

And the S1000RR got a bit of a head start on the first run.

·
Vendor
2,639 Posts
The electronics rule these days.

We all are fascinated by Launch Control, Wheelie Control, Slide Control... While these are great interventions of a better riding experience, these are computer vs hardware vs performance.

The days of 100% throttle blade open allowing 100% of air/fuel mixture are over. When throttle by wire was introduced, it became a new tool to make an engine live a much longer life by the OEM's.

You request 100% throttle at your right wrist, but the ECU is the control medium. Software then takes all information in and tells the throttle body blades to open XYZ amount. If you datalog the throttle blade percentage open vs the twist throttle request, you will see that while it gives you 100% for only up to maybe 9000 RPM. Then the ECU rolls the blades back to 80%.

When I first started to hack computers for automotive in 2003, one of the highly requested features was .. Please set my throttle blades to open 100% even when I am at 51% TPS position at the APP. What this was for is the reaction time in the 60 foot and 100 foot marks of the quarter mile. Take the scared of the launch out of the question in that you would be at 100% even if you lift just slightly off the floor. Human reaction of the flinch. You tell your setup guy " I promise I was at 100% even the thing launched so hard it set me back in the seat 2 inches" ... well the datalogger indicated you flinched and lifted. You lost time.

My point is that the world of the ECU taking over is merely a request of power these days. On paper a 210HP engine at 400 lbs should make the quarter mile in 10 seconds. However, the electronics are set to do other wise based on some engineer writing the software to accomplish this task.

So many things are out of our control these days on engines and performance.

Reactions: bennymx and Elk

·
Registered
31 Posts
A shame. Perhaps the BMW wasn't run in fully yet?
2000 model Super bikes were getting times like that.

Sure the rider and surface makes a difference, but we should be able to beat cars by now :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts