BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the DoubleR Race Air suit is available or will be available in the USA? I can only seem to find it on Euro websites...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody...???

·
4,640 Posts
A BMW dealer that sells BMW gear can get you one. Or take a trip to Europe.

Anyone knows how it compares to Alpin* and Dainese? Is it using BMW's own design?

·
Registered
347 Posts
A BMW dealer that sells BMW gear can get you one. Or take a trip to Europe.

Anyone knows how it compares to Alpin* and Dainese? Is it using BMW's own design?
It uses the Alpinestars Tech-air Race last I knew. I don't know about who makes the suit itself. I'm a pretty big fan of the Tech Air personally (have the GPV2 suit and missle leather jacket). I don't have any experience with DAir, but I'm not a big fan of Dianese warranty or the company's support (takes 4-6 months for replacements usually and I've had a lot of their stuff fail in the first couple months of ownership).

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It uses the Alpinestars Tech-air Race last I knew. I don't know about who makes the suit itself. I'm a pretty big fan of the Tech Air personally (have the GPV2 suit and missle leather jacket). I don't have any experience with DAir, but I'm not a big fan of Dianese warranty or the company's support (takes 4-6 months for replacements usually and I've had a lot of their stuff fail in the first couple months of ownership).
It uses the D|air system. You can find it on the BMW-Mottorrad website in Europe but it is not in the US catalog. I was actually thinking about stoping in Germany for a couple days on my way home from Afghanistan to pick one up lol. Problem would be getting it recharged if/when I go down. For that reason I may end up just going with A*s suit. Color options kind of suck, maybe they will have some new ones next year...

·
Registered
347 Posts
It uses the D|air system. You can find it on the BMW-Mottorrad website in Europe but it is not in the US catalog. I was actually thinking about stoping in Germany for a couple days on my way home from Afghanistan to pick one up lol. Problem would be getting it recharged if/when I go down. For that reason I may end up just going with A*s suit. Color options kind of suck, maybe they will have some new ones next year...
Strange they would flip flop manufacturers? Do you have a link to the specs? I know this one used the tech air street...I'd assume the prorace uses the tech air race. With all the small things I've had go wrong with Dianese apparel I won't ever buy their stuff again, it's just really poor quality control or poor quality to begin with from my experiences thus far and warranty issues I've done with them took about 5 months.

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/bmw-and-alpinestars-develop-the-most-advanced-motorcycle-airbag-system-ever

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Strange they would flip flop manufacturers? Do you have a link to the specs? I know this one used the tech air street...I'd assume the prorace uses the tech air race. With all the small things I've had go wrong with Dianese apparel I won't ever buy their stuff again, it's just really poor quality control or poor quality to begin with from my experiences thus far and warranty issues I've done with them took about 5 months.

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/bmw-and-alpinestars-develop-the-most-advanced-motorcycle-airbag-system-ever
The DoubleR Race AIR suit by BMW Motorrad. More protection within milliseconds.

That is the link to the UK site if I am not mistaken...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mean if they came out with an a* version in the US I would DEFINITELY be getting one lol. The D|air has to be shipped to italy to get recharged and can take months. The a* can be charged twice before sending back and the turn around time to Cali is only a couple weeks. I assume the demand for BMW race suits is not very high in the US but the option to purchase would still be nice...

·
Registered
347 Posts
I mean if they came out with an a* version in the US I would DEFINITELY be getting one lol. The D|air has to be shipped to italy to get recharged and can take months. The a* can be charged twice before sending back and the turn around time to Cali is only a couple weeks. I assume the demand for BMW race suits is not very high in the US but the option to purchase would still be nice...
Thanks for the link. Yeah strange they went a couple different directions there...

Beyond the D|Air timing inconvenience, like I said I've seen some straight **** quality from them the past few years.

A*s is also looking at opening it to at least a few dealerships to be certified recharging stations so you won't even have to ship to the West Coast soon enough...

·
4,640 Posts
Many other manufacturers license Alpin* air vest. I have it and it works well (crash tested). Def better than Dainese's design.

I do like BMW gear, tends to be made with quality. If you end up going with Alp*, let me know and I can hook you up with my track side guy for a great discount.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As you're aware if you buy a d air suit from europe, you have to ship it to europe if you need to get the airbags recharged. I have a d air suit and the one of the most important things to me is the fit. I just don't see a suit fitting as well if you have to put a leather suit over a bulky air bag vest. The d air uses technology from motogp and I believe there has been only 2 riders who have broken a bone wearing d air.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As you're aware if you buy a d air suit from europe, you have to ship it to europe if you need to get the airbags recharged. I have a d air suit and the one of the most important things to me is the fit. I just don't see a suit fitting as well if you have to put a leather suit over a bulky air bag vest. The d air uses technology from motogp and I believe there has been only 2 riders who have broken a bone wearing d air.

So are you saying the D|air suit fits better than the A*? There are several in motogp using the A* tech air as well...

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Many other manufacturers license Alpin* air vest. I have it and it works well (crash tested). Def better than Dainese's design.

I do like BMW gear, tends to be made with quality. If you end up going with Alp*, let me know and I can hook you up with my track side guy for a great discount.
Exactly why I am torn. The BMW gear is great quality but the issue would be the recharge. I told my wife and her response was "Just get two of them" LMAO. So I could go with A* and have colors that I don't necessarily like but easier and cheaper recharge OR I can go to Germany and buy two BMW suits in the event that I crash in one so I have a spare while the first gets recharged LOL.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Exactly why I am torn. The BMW gear is great quality but the issue would be the recharge. I told my wife and her response was "Just get two of them" LMAO. So I could go with A* and have colors that I don't necessarily like but easier and cheaper recharge OR I can go to Germany and buy two BMW suits in the event that I crash in one so I have a spare while the first gets recharged LOL.
I'm not sure if the D|air has two charges, either, but that's a pretty good selling point for the A* at the track. Won't muck up your whole day at the track if you set it off and it's a minor crash. I didn't try on any D|air suits but the GPV2 is very comfortable after break in to me and the race vest isn't noticeable other than snugging up the fit (that is noticeable, but it doesn't make it uncomfortable anywhere). It's also something you take into account when sizing the suit. You can also put the street firmware on the race vest to change the algorithm as to when it deploys, which is nice. Not sure if D|air has this as well?

·
4,640 Posts
You have options.

1- Buy two air vests, only vest needs to be shipped, not whole suit. Use backup vest as needed. No need for two whole suits.
2- Recharge time is about 2 weeks (based in NY). Just use regular back protector for that period, if paranoid maybe get external air vest

BTW each race Alp* only needs service after two crashes, street version after one crash. So there is time, I crashed when we were at VIR, air vest continues to work fine. I can service it after another crash lol

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You have options.

1- Buy two air vests, only vest needs to be shipped, not whole suit. Use backup vest as needed. No need for two whole suits.
2- Recharge time is about 2 weeks (based in NY). Just use regular back protector for that period, if paranoid maybe get external air vest

BTW each race Alp* only needs service after two crashes, street version after one crash. So there is time, I crashed when we were at VIR, air vest continues to work fine. I can service it after another crash lol
Ah I didn't know the D|air allowed for you to purchase a second vest.

·
4,640 Posts
Ah I didn't know the D|air allowed for you to purchase a second vest.
Alpin* only, not D-air. With the latter, you would need two suits.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 28 Posts