BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving April 14 and returning April 20. If anyone is interested in meeting up or coming down with? My truck and trailer are already full, but I have a second room available at the deals gap motel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2 weeks to go!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Always enjoyable to visit the smokeys! Hopefully, it will warm up soon. We're leaving from Michigan on the 20th and meeting a big crew down there, so I guess we'll pass each other on the highway.

·
Registered
753 Posts
If you've never ridden it, the Dragon:

- Is the tightest road I've ever seen...when it says 10 MPH curves for vehicles, it means it. You MUST watch for cars crossing the yellow line, and stay away from it yourself as much as you can until you can see all the way thru the corner.

- Ride it slow the first couple of times; there a blind spots and decreasing radius turns that can pitch you in a direction you don't expect until it's too late.

- It CAN be wet; lots of shade. It can get BUSY, especially on the weekends. Early morning or late evenings will give you more space.

- The Police LOVE to write tickets. Riders usually use the "hand on the head" method to warn other riders.

- The photographers (us129 photos are a great provider) takes great pics and you can buy them online.

- Make sure you also ride the Cherahola skyway. It's got some REALLY nice big sweepers, not as much traffic or police, and some really nice views.

ENJOY HAVE FUN AND BE CAREFUL.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
If you've never ridden it, the Dragon:

- Is the tightest road I've ever seen...when it says 10 MPH curves for vehicles, it means it. You MUST watch for cars crossing the yellow line, and stay away from it yourself as much as you can until you can see all the way thru the corner.

- Ride it slow the first couple of times; there a blind spots and decreasing radius turns that can pitch you in a direction you don't expect until it's too late.

- It CAN be wet; lots of shade. It can get BUSY, especially on the weekends. Early morning or late evenings will give you more space.

- The Police LOVE to write tickets. Riders usually use the "hand on the head" method to warn other riders.

- The photographers (us129 photos are a great provider) takes great pics and you can buy them online.

- Make sure you also ride the Cherahola skyway. It's got some REALLY nice big sweepers, not as much traffic or police, and some really nice views.

ENJOY HAVE FUN AND BE CAREFUL.

Have fun and realize it isn't a track. Just about every trip each way there will be someone in your lane. Don't become a statistic.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks boys, appreciate the advice. I have been doing Deals Gap for over 18 years, 3 of which I lived in Knoxville and was considered a local.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I went last year in September. Worth it and cant wait to go back.

The Cherahola skyway is fun, not too busy compared to the tail.

They shut down the tail if there is an accident. Usually takes a few hours.

the s1000rr is too big for it. A local on a 600 was riding the tail like a freak. A 600 would be perfect.

Cops are on motorcycles now, I heard that a new thing there.

Have fun.

Sam

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Humm still doesn't change the fact that, that road is dangerous from all of the hooligans who ride it. I have been there twice when people died. I still go ride it but not during the peak season. A good way to get killed imo

·
4,604 Posts
Humm still doesn't change the fact that, that road is dangerous from all of the hooligans who ride it. I have been there twice when people died. I still go ride it but not during the peak season. A good way to get killed imo
What's the peak season there? April to June?
I went in july last year. It was ok.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
What's the peak season there? April to June?

I went in july last year. It was ok.

Usually Saturdays and sundays are crazy and during the summer when school is out. The middle of the day is worse than getting out early or later in the day. If you avoid the peak times you can also make a lot better passes with less traffic to make passes on

1 - 11 of 11 Posts