BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, This is my first post, so hi to all the RR riders out there. I'm riding a 2018 RR and it probably doesn't need to be said, but this is the best bike I have ever owned. I have owned and ridden a fair number of bikes over the years, and they've all been a blast. The RR however, is something else! It's so refined in every way, There's nothing like taking it for a spin.

If I have a complaint, it has to do with engine heat. The bike frequently runs at over 210 degrees. I've been advised that deleting the catalytic converter will help the engine to run cooler. If that's the case, I would entertain removing the stock exhaust and installing a full Akrapovic system. I'd probably go with the stainless steel header to save cost, but if the titanium system is appreciably cooler, I'd have think about spending the extra money. Has anyone noticed a temperature drop after eliminating the cat?

·
Vendor
4,532 Posts
Removing the CAT will reduce rising heat in the bike itself when you are sitting still at a traffic light, reduced when you park and run a errand jump right back on the bike.. As to moving down the road the CAT creates heat only in the exhaust for the most part.

Removing the stock exhaust is still an excellent idea to get better performance and it will reduce heat overall, not really as much in the engine temp itself.

Then RCK3 / HP power kit in the ECU to really help in the error codes on full exhaust, and the performance of the twist throttle reaction is a huge plus.

I have the RCK3 HP Power kit race enables for the ECU if you move in that direction.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can try some engine ice/alcohol in coolant. That always reduces heat. Hp makes heat. If you think the s1k is hot you should ride some other liter bikes. After trying others you will find the s1k runs cold.

·
9,184 Posts
You need to flash the ECU, bikes comes lean from factory to meet emissions. Remove CAT, flash, will net best heat reduction in and out of engine. Rich AFR runs engine cooler.

As far as coolant, only water wetter coolant will reduce heat, but it cannot be used under 50 temp as it does not have anti freeze properties. I would stick to OEM coolant. Evans, engine ice, etc... don't reduce heat much. These bikes run hot.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I opted to put on Akra headers because well one I got a really good deal on the one I have and the second one is the weight savings. When you pull down the stock system, you'll see what I mean in terms of how heavy that thing is. The other benefits are just icing on the cake for me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go faster and you won't notice.
Ha ha, when possible, that's what I do! Unfortunately I have used that solution a little too frequently for local law enforcement. One more ticket and it's goodbye to my license. I'm not kidding. And because I'm too chicken to out run them, I must behave. Thanks anyway for the advice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I opted to put on Akra headers because well one I got a really good deal on the one I have and the second one is the weight savings. When you pull down the stock system, you'll see what I mean in terms of how heavy that thing is. The other benefits are just icing on the cake for me.
How about heat? Did you notice any reduction since deleting the cat? Right now I always ride with leather pants because the frame over the engine acts like a big heat sink and my legs feel like they're going to get scorched if I wear lighter fabrics.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How about heat? Did you notice any reduction since deleting the cat? Right now I always ride with leather pants because the frame over the engine acts like a big heat sink and my legs feel like they're going to get scorched if I wear lighter fabrics.
I wear jeans and I feel like I’m on fire! I can’t imagine how would it feel wearing leather pants!!

·
Registered
167 Posts
As mentioned above by other posters, you'll get some reduction at slow/stop and go traffic. I've ridden in jeans on this bike and haven't had any issues with heat. If you want nut roasting, try a Ducati with the cats with an undertail exhaust. I ended up removing the stock mufflers on my old 848 which had the cats in them. In addition, I put in a heat shield over the inside tail section to help further reduce heat.

I personally think the heat you're feeling is also the heat coming off of the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As mentioned above by other posters, you'll get some reduction at slow/stop and go traffic. I've ridden in jeans on this bike and haven't had any issues with heat. If you want nut roasting, try a Ducati with the cats with an undertail exhaust. I ended up removing the stock mufflers on my old 848 which had the cats in them. In addition, I put in a heat shield over the inside tail section to help further reduce heat.

I personally think the heat you're feeling is also the heat coming off of the engine.
Yeah, I think you're right that the heat is coming off the engine. That's why the frame is so hot. It's just acting as a big heat sink for the engine. With all of the responses I've gotten, I'm beginning the think the better solution might be a Power Commander and a throttle map that lets the engine run a little richer. I'm not sure I'd be happy if removing the cat would make the bike extremely loud.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, I think you're right that the heat is coming off the engine. That's why the frame is so hot. It's just acting as a big heat sink for the engine. With all of the responses I've gotten, I'm beginning the think the better solution might be a Power Commander and a throttle map that lets the engine run a little richer. I'm not sure I'd be happy if removing the cat would make the bike extremely loud.
Something I missed with your posts is about contact to the frame. I never had any issues with this as I have long legs being 6'5". So I can see that being an annoyance if your leg is constantly touching any part of the frame.

Having a full system put in is definitely going to make your bike louder as the full system does away with the exhaust valve. I ended up putting a dB killer into my factory Akra slip on because the thing was louder than I'd like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Something I missed with your posts is about contact to the frame. I never had any issues with this as I have long legs being 6'5". So I can see that being an annoyance if your leg is constantly touching any part of the frame.

Having a full system put in is definitely going to make your bike louder as the full system does away with the exhaust valve. I ended up putting a dB killer into my factory Akra slip on because the thing was louder than I'd like.
Hi, Thanks for the input. I think it is the case that my legs are in contact with the frame as I'm riding. It's the large frame sections that run down beneath gas tank on either side of the engine. Those components seem to soak up a lot of engine heat. To some extent I may be the problem since I don't enjoy the hotter months of the year.

Anyway, I appreciate your commenting about the noise increase. That's a concern I have, too. Did the db killer reduce the noise to an acceptable level? Certainly that's subjective, so are you on good terms with your neighbors?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi, Thanks for the input. I think it is the case that my legs are in contact with the frame as I'm riding. It's the large frame sections that run down beneath gas tank on either side of the engine. Those components seem to soak up a lot of engine heat. To some extent I may be the problem since I don't enjoy the hotter months of the year.

Anyway, I appreciate your commenting about the noise increase. That's a concern I have, too. Did the db killer reduce the noise to an acceptable level? Certainly that's subjective, so are you on good terms with your neighbors?
The dB killer does reduce the volume some. But it's still loud just not as obnoxious. I haven't ridden much lately so my neighbors haven't had to deal with the louder exhaust much. But in general, I'm the considerate/quiet neighbor versus the others even though I'm the bachelor around all these families.

What I try not to do is ride the RR late at night due to the loud exhaust. But I have another much quieter bike I can take out in place of the RR.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts