BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
'17 BMW S1000rr, '04 BMW R1100s, '02 Ducati Foggy SR2 (916)
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hello!
i feel weird riding tucked in on the highway but it's so much quieter! i'm not talking about when you're speeding around, i'm talking about on long trips with cruising speeds around 80-90 mph. i'm a professional sound/audio engineer and i try and minimize as much wind noise as i can. have a pretty quiet helmet, wear ear plugs and a balaclava even in the summer to reduce as much as possible.

firstly, cops don't like seeing you tucked in, makes you look fast even if you're not. and second, and i know i shouldn't care what other people think, i feel self conscious somehow, like i'm a noob or something. anyone else get that feeling? i do it anyway once i'm doing over 75 mph the wind is pretty loud and i have to tuck in. when i don't my ears are ringing in the evening time. and there really is no mid-tuck as far as wind reduction on a sport bike.

·
Registered
103 Posts
hello!
i feel weird riding tucked in on the highway but it's so much quieter! i'm not talking about when you're speeding around, i'm talking about on long trips with cruising speeds around 80-90 mph. i'm a professional sound/audio engineer and i try and minimize as much wind noise as i can.

first cops don't like seeing you tucked in, makes you look fast even if you're not. and second, and i know i shouldn't care what other people think, i feel self conscious somehow, like i'm a noob or something. anyone else get that feeling? i do it anyway once i'm doing over 75 mph the wind is pretty loud and i have to tuck in. when i don't my ears are ringing in the evening time. and there really is no mid-tuck as far as wind reduction on a sport bike.
I don’t ride a ton on street, but I had to ride my bike >100 miles each way for its first service on the highway (80mph). Tucked is a good way to rest especially if you have extra head winds. As long as you can still see everything clearly, do it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don’t ride a ton on street, but I had to ride my bike >100 miles each way for its first service on the highway (80mph). Tucked is a good way to rest especially if you have extra head winds. As long as you can still see everything clearly, do it.
yeah i do it for a little rest sometimes too. i'll do an average 200 mile ride when i go out. NYC riding is the worst. i gotta ride about an hour (about a 60 mile radius) to get to any twisties that go for more than a couple miles lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If you have a tall windscreen, try shorter. At these speeds, uniform air is better than turbulent.
hmm, you're probably right and don't know why i didn't think about that. it's worth a shot. i have an MRA double bubble on there now. i still have the OEM windscreen i can easily pop on. i replaced the OEM with a double bubble right away so i don't remember how much wind noise there is. i assumed bubble would be less wind but i guess only in a tuck position.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hello!
i feel weird riding tucked in on the highway but it's so much quieter! i'm not talking about when you're speeding around, i'm talking about on long trips with cruising speeds around 80-90 mph. i'm a professional sound/audio engineer and i try and minimize as much wind noise as i can. have a pretty quiet helmet, wear ear plugs and a balaclava even in the summer to reduce as much as possible.

firstly, cops don't like seeing you tucked in, makes you look fast even if you're not. and second, and i know i shouldn't care what other people think, i feel self conscious somehow, like i'm a noob or something. anyone else get that feeling? i do it anyway once i'm doing over 75 mph the wind is pretty loud and i have to tuck in. when i don't my ears are ringing in the evening time. and there really is no mid-tuck as far as wind reduction on a sport bike.
Television Cable television Television program Television set Entertainment

Sorry this popped into my mind when you asked about tucked🤣

Oh and on the highway I tuck! 😊

·
Registered
180 Posts
Wind noise on a Sportbike is a given IMO Especially on hwy runs. Precautions I take is wear earplugs that are 33dba, used to use 32 dba and there is a noticeable difference to my surprise, a good fitting helmet made the biggest difference where the side pads are up against your ear, less comfortable but quieter, still get some wind noise.
Tucking in helps but not much, for me it’s not a comfortable position to stay in for a longer highway ride.
Schuberth makes very quiet quality helmets if sized correctly. Research quietest helmets on the market may help you get a better helmet for noise Reduction.

·
Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
8,480 Posts
Nah on highway I put the cruise on and sit up straight or lean back and relax. Wind doesn't bother me. I have the tall tinted M screen and have custom ear plugs. I only go full tuck when its raining and I am trying to stay dry on a trip.

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
hmm, you're probably right and don't know why i didn't think about that. it's worth a shot. i have an MRA double bubble on there now. i still have the OEM windscreen i can easily pop on. i replaced the OEM with a double bubble right away so i don't remember how much wind noise there is. i assumed bubble would be less wind but i guess only in a tuck position.
Over the years, I noticed again and again that my Schuberth helmets are substantially more quiet when I stand up to put my head above the air stream disturbed by the bike's windscreen, so much so, I'm thinking about getting a naked bike one of these days.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wind noise on a Sportbike is a given IMO Especially on hwy runs. Precautions I take is wear earplugs that are 33dba, used to use 32 dba and there is a noticeable difference to my surprise, a good fitting helmet made the biggest difference where the side pads are up against your ear, less comfortable but quieter, still get some wind noise.
Tucking in helps but not much, for me it’s not a comfortable position to stay in for a longer highway ride.
Schuberth makes very quiet quality helmets if sized correctly. Research quietest helmets on the market may help you get a better helmet for noise Reduction.
yeah I've had 2 schuberth S2's in the past 6 years. been shopping for a new one. thinking about the C4 Pro or HJC RPHA 70.

I use the yellow 3M ones which I think are 33dba. which 33's are you using?

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
yeah I've had 2 schuberth S2's in the past 6 years. been shopping for a new one. thinking about the C4 Pro or HJC RPHA 70.
I have a C4 Pro Carbon; awesome helmet, quiet (especially with custom molded ear buds), very light, and comfortable...on my XR...but, it's NOT comfortable on my RR. For me, the leaned forward position of my RR, despite my 4" higher ABM multiclips, doesn't work with the C4 Pro. The back of my neck causes the helmet to rotate too far forward. That's why I'm still using a ready-to-replace Shoei GT-Air and thinking about buying a left-over-inventory S2. I've been hoping Schuberth would bring out an S2 replacement...full face, sport oriented, but with an internal sun visor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I have a C4 Pro Carbon; awesome helmet, quiet (especially with custom molded ear buds), very light, and comfortable...on my XR...but, it's NOT comfortable on my RR. For me, the leaned forward position of my RR, despite my 4" higher ABM multiclips, doesn't work with the C4 Pro. The back of my neck causes the helmet to rotate too far forward. That's why I'm still using a ready-to-replace Shoei GT-Air and thinking about buying a left-over-inventory S2. I've been hoping Schuberth would bring out an S2 replacement...full face, sport oriented, but with an internal sun visor.
thanks for the tip! if that's the case then I'm taking the C4 off my list :)

yes me too, I was waiting for Schuberth to release a new racing helmet. there is a C5 available in Europe but it's another modular touring helmet.. championhelmets has them with free shipping to US but you gotta wait like 2-4 weeks. they also have a review. looks nice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nah on highway I put the cruise on and sit up straight or lean back and relax. Wind doesn't bother me. I have the tall tinted M screen and have custom ear plugs. I only go full tuck when its raining and I am trying to stay dry on a trip.
M screen? never heard of that. what year is your RR?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Only if it's SUPER windy or pouring rain. There IS a spot where, if I crouch just a little, it is a little quieter. This is especially the case on my KTM where wind noise is a LOT worse. I found a new taller Puig Sport Screen for the KTM that helps a lot for that. You might try a new screen.

Sound Engineer, huh? Music or movies? I'm into audio and have some interesting ideas for a new speaker type.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
21 RR. Just the tall tinted screen from BMW.
dumb question, got any pics? :)
i've seen "sport touring" screen in the BMW parts catalog but i can't any photos of one actually installed.
i have a 2017 so i know it'll be different but it'll at least be some reference.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts