BMW S1000RR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I bought a did 520ERV7 chain of 120 links.
The gears want to leave as the original 17 and 45 teeth.
i am not familiar with this and have a question as to whether the chain can be 120 links because the original is 119.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Hi
i am not familiar with this and have a question as to whether the chain can be 120 links because the original is 119.
You have to buy 520 pitch sprockets. 120 links is fine, slightly longer wheelbase but you won't notice it

·
Registered
2016 S1000RR
102 Posts
It is 119 links + the master link. Your current sprockets will work fine. Most of the time it is a good idea to change sprockets with the chain because they both wear out. If your teeth are still sharp and not worn down you have nothing to worry about. Just adjust your chain to the appropriate slack afterwards.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is 119 links + the master link. Your current sprockets will work fine. Most of the time it is a good idea to change sprockets with the chain because they both wear out. If your teeth are still sharp and not worn down you have nothing to worry about. Just adjust your chain to the appropriate slack afterwards.
Yes i will insert new companies SITTA.

·
Registered
797 Posts
You bought a 520 chain, so you will need to buy front and rear sprockets 520. What you have now in sprockets is 525 pitch.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
How exactly 525 pitch sprockets fit 520 chain ??

·
Registered
2016 S1000RR
102 Posts
How exactly 525 pitch sprockets fit 520 chain ??
I read 17 teeth front and 45 rear were the stock sprockets. I swapped to the same teeth sprockets with a new chain that was 520 as well and thought it is the same amount of teeth than changing them is not a necessity. Is that not the case?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Hi
Motorcycle chains CANNOT have an odd number of links. Maybe you meant 118 links.

Haven't looked it up, but a 520 chain may not (probably not) be compatible with a set of 525 or 530 sprockets. You'd need to check, and in any case, chain and sprockets need to be replaced as a set with all new components.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I read 17 teeth front and 45 rear were the stock sprockets. I swapped to the same teeth sprockets with a new chain that was 520 as well and thought it is the same amount of teeth than changing them is not a necessity. Is that not the case?
This is pitch

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
This is pitch

Thanks for posting that! I'd somehow mistakenly thought that the pitch was different between the 520/525 and the 530 (being different). Wonder if the roller diameter is different? If the roller diameter is the same, then it looks like you could "theoretically" run a 530 chain on 520 sprockets, but not the other way around.

Me, I'll stick to 530 for the strength since I'm not racing it and will take longevity over an extremely slight performance gain (maybe 1hp at max rpm/load?).

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
There is more to this than pitch.
The roller width for a 520 chain is 0.250".
The width of a 525 sprocket is 0.284".
The width of a 530 sprocket is 0.343".
0.284" and 0.343" wide teeth do not fit inside a 0.250" wide space.
525 and 530 sprockets are too wide for 520 chain.
Source of dimensions: Notes on Sprockets and Chains

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
There is more to this than pitch.
The roller width for a 520 chain is 0.250".
The width of a 525 sprocket is 0.284".
The width of a 530 sprocket is 0.343".
0.284" and 0.343" wide teeth do not fit inside a 0.250" wide space.
525 and 530 sprockets are too wide for 520 chain.
Source of dimensions: Notes on Sprockets and Chains
I figured they'd be different, had just been too busy to look. I figured the roller size would probably be different, because in the end, the weak "link" (LOL) is the "double-shear" strength of the individual pins. Thanks for posting!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts