BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone here attempted to flash their ECM? So from what i gather you need the KESS V2 to read/write through OBD port. Or the KTAG which has to be done through boot mode with the ECM split.

From what they say the OBD port has less maps accessable vs directly from boot mode.

The software to write/change can be ECM Titanium( Beginner) or WINOLS(advance user) which has limitless possibilities as long as you can find hex addresses and define them. You can also find Damos files which will help you define maps in WINOLS.

There are clones and original for the hardware and software. KESS v2, KTAG (hardware) and ECM Titanium(software)

Has anyone attempted and if so have they tried the china or EU clone?

It would be great for diyers who race and tune it themselves. I personally have never been a fan of mail in flashes because every bike is different, different elevations and so on. Lastly the cost is a bit steep for generic stuff. I much rather buy all the hardware/software and make changes when i want.

Here are the capabilities of ECM titanium. There 20 or 21 maps you can adjust and change.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
People and racers who want to modify ECU parameters themselves will purchase the ECU unlock codes and RCK3 kit.

As far as I'm aware, 2015+ models have no support for unofficial software for updating the ECU. I don't know about older models, but I doubt it. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Whats the cost of the RCK3 with unlock codes and whats available for 2011?
$$$$ that i would rather spend on tires...so if you find a cheap way for me to adjust my dtc i will be very very happy!:grin2::x0:)

·
Registered
784 Posts
$$$$ that i would rather spend on tires...so if you find a cheap way for me to adjust my dtc i will be very very happy!:grin2::x0:)
Smoother/softer/adjustable engine brake is also very good reason to get a flash RCK2 or 3.
Also transition from zero-throttle to throttle is much much much smoother when injection is not cut when engine braking.

The problem with stock engine brake is that it has too many variables (rpm, gear, lean angle) and you can not control it, and it is never the same in corners, and that makes your driving more difficult (setting speed to different corners).
And when braking hard, when rear lifts up, engine brake makes the rear wheel snake from side to side, and that also makes your driving more difficult.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Whats the cost of the RCK3 with unlock codes and whats available for 2011?

Forum member BMW_388 can crack the ECU for enabling codes.

The 10-14 is RCK2. Software is not free to download. Requires USB or Serial to 10 pin cable.
The 15-18 is RCK3. Software is free to download from BMW website, but will not work with 10-14. VCI MDI cable box required at $850

Enable codes are $450 for HP Power Kit.... RCK2 is $650... Plus labor cost. About $1650-$1800 from BMW dealer

There is a lot to the ECU code besides just finding the locations of the map tables. You need to be able to do CheckSum calculations also.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Smoother/softer/adjustable engine brake is also very good reason to get a flash RCK2 or 3.
Also transition from zero-throttle to throttle is much much much smoother when injection is not cut when engine braking.

The problem with stock engine brake is that it has too many variables (rpm, gear, lean angle) and you can not control it, and it is never the same in corners, and that makes your driving more difficult (setting speed to different corners).
And when braking hard, when rear lifts up, engine brake makes the rear wheel snake from side to side, and that also makes your driving more difficult.
I have Rapid Bike for adjustable engine braking per gear and it also smoothes the power like rck 3. It also lets you set your own lambda injection values per gear and ignition tables if needed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
From what i can understand KTAG does the checksum. But no doubt its far from beginner this endevauor.
there are over 200 checksum values in the EEProm file for the TC1793. Not all are calculated with BDM uploads. If you mess with a table that is not considered part of normal value changes, the CS will not be calculated and the file will or may not upload because of CS error

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what i can understand KTAG does the checksum. But no doubt its far from beginner this endevauor.
there are over 200 checksum values in the EEProm file for the TC1793. Not all are calculated with BDM uploads. If you mess with a table that is not considered part of normal value changes, the CS will not be calculated and the file will or may not upload because of CS error

How would you go about the Checksums? Im going to start with the KESS V2 if it allows me to send all those maps shown in the pic, otherwise KTAG and edit with ECM titanium. But would at some like to get into WINOLS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im reporting back, because i know how frustrating it can be working on these bikes, and with a lot of secrecy for monetary gains, which i can understand. But for me it has been about the ability to make the changes myself and not have to deal with some BIGMAC combo Tune up, especially when the bike is heavily modified from the engine department.

Rant is over.

I will be testing a particular KTAG(hardware to read and write with the ability to do checksums), rite now im using an OFT from Shiv, excellent unit with 22 tuneable maps using TunerPRO which is very user friendly, dianostics and datalogging all factory sensory.

Since I want to access more maps which I know the DME has, such as Quick shifter kill time, Oxygen sensor scaling for wideband, Knock sensor table, ON/OFF switching components, remove speed limiter, Traction Control parameters, Fuel enrichment based on temperature, Closed Loop and Open Loop Fuel parameter, and the list goes on.

I have been using WinOLS Demo Version (Software) to find new maps, and working with someone rite now to define the AXIS names, factors, and offsets. Its an uphill battle, but im making progress.

For the ones interested in doing it themselves you read your DME .bin file with KTAG, and then upload the file into WinOLS demo. At that point you'll be looking at raw Hex dump. You then have to manually look through and find the maps yourself, and you have the ability to edit the maps in 2D like any other interface like TunerPro, RomRaider, Power Commander and so on. Its not as user friendly, but this is what all the top professionals use to discover and define new maps.

Check this guy out: He explains in great detail how to find maps, and how to use the software.
https://sites.google.com/site/vagecumap/using-winols-to-find-passat-pd-100-bhp-maps

I'll be reporting back once i define the maps.

I posted 3 pics of 1 Map [Engine Load Map] in 3D, 2D and raw Hex. There is 1 map for each mode, SLICK, Race, Rain and sport.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts