BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Vendor
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I wanted to make it work. I shaved time off from my 2012 on the 2015 with the DDC. That is just me making progress though. During the last race on the 2015 with the DDC I was pushing it (at my level) and the dreaded float after trail braking was getting ridiculous.

Even had a bit of a pogo moment that really made me back off.

OFF WITH IT'S HEAD!

Ripped out the DDC and installed the latest 30mm cartridge kits and an Ohlins GP shock. (Shout out to TJ at Riders Discount---new kit at almost used prices).

First time installing cartridges myself and NO BUSH SCREWS LEFT OVER! WooHoo.

Did a street ride yesterday to make sure nothing was leaking, clunking, grinding or overall just F'ed up. No issues! Bike feels really good actually. Stiff and planted, how I like it.

Can't wait to get to Jennings to try it out full blast.

So long DDC, you were pretty awesome on the street and at goof off pace on the track.

·
4,587 Posts
Can you elaborate more on float feeling?

I prefer to install mods that I'll actually need. There is a right-hand turn at a couple of track that I go into ~120mph and I feel the front floating/moving under me. I thought it was the street tires but as it happens more under faster pace I'm thinking it's more the front forks.

Did you keep the same setup as before with new cartridges? Flipped eccentric and front fork gold part flush with the triple?

How do 30mm NIX cartridges compare to FGR forks? I have been reading different reviews and there are varying opinions. Keep in mind I run mid/back of the pack in advanced on street tires. So not race pace yet.

·
4,587 Posts
If you are running advanced pace, get off street tires. Buy slicks and work on maxing them out first. Then move on to suspension
Yes, tires first, I accounted for that. I was just saying my current stats.

Well not slicks, but new pirelli SP3s (coming out supposedly next year), or Metzeler RR. Need to keep the bike street legal. I refuse to ride a lesser bike, I don't wanna pay the same amount of $$ into another bike. Unless 2017 bikes have a comparable offering under $16k to get a nice track bike.
@bennymx ouch :grin2:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Well, I wanted to make it work. I shaved time off from my 2012 on the 2015 with the DDC. That is just me making progress though. During the last race on the 2015 with the DDC I was pushing it (at my level) and the dreaded float after trail braking was getting ridiculous.

Even had a bit of a pogo moment that really made me back off.

OFF WITH IT'S HEAD!

Ripped out the DDC and installed the latest 30mm cartridge kits and an Ohlins GP shock. (Shout out to TJ at Riders Discount---new kit at almost used prices).

First time installing cartridges myself and NO BUSH SCREWS LEFT OVER! WooHoo.

Did a street ride yesterday to make sure nothing was leaking, clunking, grinding or overall just F'ed up. No issues! Bike feels really good actually. Stiff and planted, how I like it.

Can't wait to get to Jennings to try it out full blast.

So long DDC, you were pretty awesome on the street and at goof off pace on the track.
Yep, this is why I bought the last 2016 base model in the US, thanks to community posts like these, saved me a lot of troubleshooting and frustration. I hope BMW monitors these forums..

arrived last night from NY:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Yep, this is why I bought the last 2016 base model in the US, thanks to community posts like these, saved me a lot of troubleshooting and frustration. I hope BMW monitors these forums..

arrived last night from NY:

The problem is the ddc is designed for the 99 percent of guys who never see the track. Of the 1 percent that see the track very few of those are in the top of the advanced group where these issues become prevalent.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Vendor
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can you elaborate more on float feeling?

I prefer to install mods that I'll actually need. There is a right-hand turn at a couple of track that I go into ~120mph and I feel the front floating/moving under me. I thought it was the street tires but as it happens more under faster pace I'm thinking it's more the front forks.

Did you keep the same setup as before with new cartridges? Flipped eccentric and front fork gold part flush with the triple?

How do 30mm NIX cartridges compare to FGR forks? I have been reading different reviews and there are varying opinions. Keep in mind I run mid/back of the pack in advanced on street tires. So not race pace yet.
Floating feeling like the valving goes wide open for a second and the front end doesn't know what it wants to do. It sucks, especially when you are trying to work on your trail braking and running more entry speed.

The FGRs are better than the FGK. Not sure I can extract that difference and the pricing for the FGK and Ohlins GP shock as a package was a great deal from RD.

Geometry is set up the same. Running oil level at 200mm by recommendation of T-Man.

·
Registered
833 Posts
The problem is the ddc is designed for the 99 percent of guys who never see the track. Of the 1 percent that see the track very few of those are in the top of the advanced group where these issues become prevalent.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I hear you but a floaty, numb front end is still loss of feeling, even for a level 1 rider. Within a year or two BMW will figure this sh*t out and find a common ground, just like ABS a few years ago. For now, I'm happy with my analog forks.

·
4,587 Posts
Get a dot track tire. Aka Michelin power cup evo, etc
I know you like the cup evos, while they're much better than my S21s. But but I rode a 13RR with evos, I like the rear's tire feel. But front does not give me a lot of feedback, or at least not as good as the rear. Do you find the same?

Tire guy at the track gave me a great deal on them. $360 for a set mounted if bring wheels off the bike. I was hesitant because I'm heavy on the brakes and trail braking. Without good feedback from the front tire I'll not be as confident.

I really like the feel of Pirelli (SP2 are great but I finish them in 2 track days) and Meztelers RR. Do you know of any other DOT race tires beside mentioned three?

Floating feeling like the valving goes wide open for a second and the front end doesn't know what it wants to do. It sucks, especially when you are trying to work on your trail braking and running more entry speed.

The FGRs are better than the FGK. Not sure I can extract that difference and the pricing for the FGK and Ohlins GP shock as a package was a great deal from RD.

Geometry is set up the same. Running oil level at 200mm by recommendation of T-Man.
Do I need to replace the rear shock? OEM works fine for me. I'm ~185lbs with gear on. Prob back ~190lbs by next season.

I might ping you for installation details after I give DOT race tires a shot, I'll owe you two bottles of whisky :wink2:. Was installation hard? How long did it take you?

·
4,587 Posts
^ I want whatever you're on >:)

1 - 20 of 80 Posts