BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a best lap on bike lap timer showing 1:36 using 2D GPS auto trigger , but no where to be found on the Data logger where fastest lap is 1:43
anyone experienced this ?

·
Vendor
3,055 Posts
I have a best lap on bike lap timer showing 1:36 using 2D GPS auto trigger , but no where to be found on the Data logger where fastest lap is 1:43
I have found that your START/FINISH line point can vary a laptime. Usually it is only a second or two, but it is based on your out lap and your in lap if your 'best' lap happens to fall on those sequence of events.

So, if your 2D lap timer START/FINISH point is in one place different than your START/FINISH in AnnaLiza, move the point in AnnaLiza and see that recalculates the lap closer to your best lap on the cluster.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
What kind of lap times you have in bike?
What kind of lap times you have in data logger?

·
4,834 Posts
One can expect varying lap times from different timers. Simply because each GPS based timer might be using a different precession (1hz vs 10hz), start/finish trigger, calibration, etc...

In scientific experiments to validate others' experiments, different equipment can be used, but all parameters have to be the same. In your case GPS frequency, start/finish line, trigger, time of day/year, track conditions, etc... it could be just the wind. I have seen it drop my lap times by few seconds on the same track.

Same thing when one measures their body fat; on one device it's 11%, on another it's 9%. It's best to stick with one device, so one gets consistent readings.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have found that your START/FINISH line point can vary a laptime. Usually it is only a second or two, but it is based on your out lap and your in lap if your 'best' lap happens to fall on those sequence of events.

So, if your 2D lap timer START/FINISH point is in one place different than your START/FINISH in AnnaLiza, move the point in AnnaLiza and see that recalculates the lap closer to your best lap on the cluster.
I might be missing what you mean, but changing start/finish in AnnaLiza did not change laptimes using the new line no matter where i move it, why should it ?
start line in 2D lap timer is at actual track finish/start line.

difference is about 6 seconds from fastest lap between two measurements.

·
Vendor
3,055 Posts
I might be missing what you mean, but changing start/finish in AnnaLiza did not change laptimes using the new line no matter where i move it, why should it ?
start line in 2D lap timer is at actual track finish/start line.

difference is about 6 seconds from fastest lap between two measurements.

Your difference in 6 seconds is too much for what I am describing as a possible problem. You have a different problem. I have seen only 1 second difference before a couple of times.

Depending on WHEN your fast lap was recorded, I have seen the in lap and out lap effect the laptimes before and after the in/out has occurred. I have 3 laptimers on my bike. All GPS driven. There was just a couple of situations where there was 1 second different based on the start/finish was not in the same place on all 3 devices. My STI laptimer starts at 60MPH no matter where that occurs on out lap. My PZRacing starts at the defined location I set it on the track. HP data Logger AnnaLiza I can set my Start/Finish where ever I want it.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
2D GPS lap timer trigger installed on bike internal dash timer.
HP Datalogger
Lap times, not the equipment.
What kind of lap times do you have in bike from one session?
And what kind lap times do you have in datalogger from the same session?
1:XX vs 1:XX
???

·
Administrator
6,805 Posts
Now I know why SOLO calls the first lap an "out lap". I can see that pit out close to start/finish could create some confusion. Same idea on last lap. Actually, same idea if you hot pit on any lap using a GPS device. You may be close enough to trigger a lap recording.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts