BMW S1000RR Forum banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts
Well, I can't thank you enough !

I turned off the DTC and it's transformed into the bike I always wanted - a wheely prone loony tune with a savage attitude - way hay !!!

Just for clarification, in slick mode, when doing a wheelie with DTC on you
CAN flip over when doing a wheelie. Wheelie control just kicks in after 5 seconds. I read a couple different responses about how slick mode actually works and I just wanted everyone to know.
Also, with DTC off you can wheelie in any mode.

Ride safe!

I found this about the lean angle thresholds for the various modes:

BMW's S1000RR sportbike has a traction-control mechanism which measures lean angle and restricts power when the angle exceeds a predetermined limit. Rain mode allows 38 degrees of lean, corresponding to a coefficient of friction of .78; sport mode allows 45 degrees, μ = 1; race mode allows 48 degrees, μ = 1.1; and slick mode gives 53 degrees, μ = 1.3

source: Turn Radius, Speed, Lean Angle

can't vouch for validity, but figured I'd share for this thread and in case anyone can confirm/deny.

edit --> found this one as well, same info but better layout: http://www.moto123.com/print_article.spy?artid=116129

Im still making my mind up about buying the BMW. If i do i will look for a used 12 or 13 most likely (new is an option but i want cash for mods).

I rode an 08 cbr1000rr for several years now. It is a plain jane bike. no aids at all. How will the throttle compare to the cbr in the different modes on the BMW?

i must be missing the part in the owners manual....can you keep the dtc on, but abs off in race or slick mode?
You can turn the DTC and/or ABS on or off in any and all modes.
When you do turn them on, then they act within the parameters preset for that mode.

So the fully rated rhp for slick mode isnt the same as race or sport 6th gear?
The rated horsepower is the same in all modes but rain. Think of it like this,... the DTC limits throttle response, not horsepower. When you lean it too far for a particular mode, or wheel slip is detected, then the ECU cuts the throttle while outside the mode parameters, not the raw horsepower. Your potential horsepower is still there.

YMMV.

I just bought a beautiful 2013 HP4 and have been reading up on it...
Trying to figure out modes etc.
I hear some people say it has wheelie control, 5 second wheelie control etc.
And others say you can loop it and it all depends on your right hand (that opens the doors for a few comments!:D)
I just don't want to find out the hard way!

One thing I will say is it's an awesome bike!

The clutch does not matter.

If the bike is at a standstill, the newly chosen mode will become active in a couple of seconds.

If moving, the throttle must be closed for a moment and neither brake lever depressed.

I assume KZ-Ron has turned the key on and off. My guess the tire changed was the front, and the sensor is not in the correct spot.

ok this might get lengthy. this started after a air filter change and rear tire change. The rear ABS has been in fault since the last tire change. The sensor shows up in fault on the GS911. Even with this I have had access to all regular modes and all systems acted normal.
(gs911 shows 4785 KPH rear wheel speed sitting still).
Plug in slick plug and it went to rain mode with no selection. Display selects any mode but the ECU won't take it. Clutch switch works and has right voltage. VERY STRANGE!
I have been on several threads that have had similar problems and the common between all is that the ECU was moved around. the one I most Identify with had ABS modifications that could have put his into fault like mine . However they removed their ECU and had a shop install it on another machine and it would select, put it back in their machine.... wouldn't select. either their is a wire that causing the problem or the rear ABS module is shutting me down.

I suspect it is the ABS sensor. Usually it is the front wheel people have problems with getting aligned correctly. My bet is if you get the ABS fault resolved you will solve the mode selection issue.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.