BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as many know I've been torn between Akrapovic short or the Arrow short can full exhaust. I ended up going with the short Akra (due to the price).

After installing the headers i decided to see if the OEM muffler fit in case I go to a track that has a DB limit. The OEM muffler fit like a glove and bolts right up to the rear set. I figured it would since a slip on fits with OEM headers. Since I was at work I did not turn it on to hear it even though i really wanted to.

If anyone is interested I will install it, take a few pics and a sound clip video. Keep in mind i removed the OEM DB killer from the muffler so mine may sound 1-2 Db higher then your OEM muffler.

My bike never ever had a cold start issue even in 30 degree temps. Today it was about 65 degrees out and it shut off on my three times. The forth time I turned it on it started to do the cold start surge. The bike is due to go to the dealer for the shark gill replacement so i will have them update the software to the latest version.

I can't afford a tune yet so I'm stuck with the bike the way it is.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Yes, would love to see the pics and hear the sound difference. Also, if you have a dB meter to measure it, that would be great. YouTube video sounds can only go so far as to loudness, but a sound level mesurmeant is something you can compare. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, would love to see the pics and hear the sound difference. Also, if you have a dB meter to measure it, that would be great. YouTube video sounds can only go so far as to loudness, but a sound level mesurmeant is something you can compare. Thanks.
Ok. Will do it this weekend.

Dont have a sound meter. I agree youtube videos don't sound as good as hearing it in person but I will do two videos. One with the Akra and one with the OEM muffler. You might get an idea of the DB difference. I will put the phone in the same spot for each video. I just downloaded a few few DB meter apps on my Ipad. I'll see which is the most consistent and have it showing in the videos.

·
Registered
14 Posts
+1 to question above.

I am thinking of putting K67 Akra GP shorty slip-on on stock Akra HP4 headers and can’t find K67 header/muffler diameter...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sure, I believe I’ll have to make another holding bracket for the shorty, but that’s not that hard + I have access to carbon manufacturing

But welding link pipe for muffler/header if diameters differ is another story, and may affect performance in a way, I am afraid

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sure, I believe I’ll have to make another holding bracket for the shorty, but that’s not that hard + I have access to carbon manufacturing

But welding link pipe for muffler/header if diameters differ is another story, and may affect performance in a way, I am afraid
Well I’d love to see pictures when you’re done with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just measured my system on HP4 - it’s 65mm (inner muffler / outer headers diameter), so won’t fit without some link pipe, unfortunately(

And producing the link is not the project to undertake mid-season...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did not ride with the stock muffler set up yet but it actually didnt sound bad. I will report back when I ride with it.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Fatal: that’s great. The dB readings helps a lot. Thanks again, predicate the work/video.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fatal: that’s great. The dB readings helps a lot. Thanks again, predicate the work/video.
The readings are not accurate because the stock pipe was closer to the ipad the the short pipe but at least you get some kind of idea. The short pipe is definitely louder. I road with someone that has the long carbon Akrapovic muffler and Ti headers and my short Akra seems at least twice as loud. His bike has the stage 1 Brentune and my bike is stock and we did not notice and lack of power from my bike with the short muffler. He may even chime in on this thread and give his impressions of it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Awesome video! It just occurred to me today if this set up work with Akra headers as I have the full system. I plan to remove the Akra exhaust can for trackdays and was wondering this very same thing. Thank you for posting. I have a question though. Have you been running the OEM can since you made this video and have you flashe tuned the ecu for that particular set up? Thx!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome video! It just occurred to me today if this set up work with Akra headers as I have the full system. I plan to remove the Akra exhaust can for trackdays and was wondering this very same thing. Thank you for posting. I have a question though. Have you been running the OEM can since you made this video and have you flashe tuned the ecu for that particular set up? Thx!
No. I rode with the Akra headers and stock muffler once. It honestly didn't sound that bad but it is quieter then an after market muffler. I don't have a tune yet. If you're going to go to a track that has a DB limit the stock muffler is your answer if you have the Akra headers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
No. I rode with the Akra headers and stock muffler once. It honestly didn't sound that bad but it is quieter then an after market muffler. I don't have a tune yet. If you're going to go to a track that has a DB limit the stock muffler is your answer if you have the Akra headers.
Oh no issue there, as I only ride the local SoCal tracks. I was merely trying to mitigate in the event of... as It ve ruined an expensive SC Project sliding into a fast turn at the track before so I’d rather have the OEM can instead of my fancy Akra. Btw, I have the brentune flash tune for it and they confirmed using the OEM can would not affect or need remapping when using the Akra headers. 👌🏽

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh no issue there, as I only ride the local SoCal tracks. I was merely trying to mitigate in the event of... as It ve ruined an expensive SC Project sliding into a fast turn at the track before so I’d rather have the OEM can instead of my fancy Akra. Btw, I have the brentune flash tune for it and they confirmed using the OEM can would not affect or need remapping when using the Akra headers. 👌🏽
Good to know. I didnt think the stock muffler would be affected by the tune. Good idea to use the stock muffler on track as part of your crash protection.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts