BMW S1000RR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Administrator
2021 S1000RR M Sport
9,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Product Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Rim

Models Affected: S1000R, S1000RR, M1000RR, S1000XR (2022 and 2023) Seems to be on a per VIN basis. Late model 2022, early models seem ok. PM me your vins if you want them checked.

Situation:
The clutch cover screws can loosen. Too thick an anti-friction coating on the threads can lead to a
loss of preload in the screw connection.

Result:
The screws can loosen, oil can then spray on the right side of the rear tire as well as on the catalytic
converter. Dangerous driving situations therefore cannot be excluded.

Measure:
Unavailable right now.

UPDATE 1:

❗️
UPDATE to Delivery STOP for replacing of the clutch cover screws
❗️

Affecting S1000RR, M10000RR, S1000XR, S1000R late 2022 builds

Vehicles produced from September 30th 2022 are no longer affected.

The repair method is replacement of the 10 Clutch Cover screws and replacement of the clutch cover gasket. In some cases, the gasket will not be available so if no oil has leaked, proceed as follows. Remove the screws, clean the thread of the engine case and outer surface of the clutch cover. Then replace all screws with new ones and tighten to the same specification of 3Nm + 90°.

If oil has already leaked, the gasket must be replaced.

· Administrator
7,420 Posts
I 've always used a wire wheel to clean that gorilla snot off of the fasteners and then installed with a small amount of blue loctite. The factory stuff really messes up the torque readings, especially with the mounting bolts for the rotors. These seem to have the same issue.

· Registered
455 Posts
BMW is becoming real pathetic. I wish there was a Japanese bike that I actually liked so I could jump back into the mix. Not only have they not corrected old problems, but they bring new problems to the mix! UGH
The only positive is they're owning up to these problems. I'd rather have that than them sweeping issues under the rug. It's part of why I've been pretty soured by Ducati with my own experiences.

· Registered
1,556 Posts
The only positive is they're owning up to these problems. I'd rather have that than them sweeping issues under the rug. It's part of why I've been pretty soured by Ducati with my own experiences.
Yes, but its aggravating and time consuming! Getting parts can take well over a month to get, so depending the issue the bike sits at dealer for that length of time!
So we have the
Cylinder head TI coating - Recall, fixed
Weep hole leak - No recall, no real fix
Fork clunk - No recall, no real fix
Brake caliper leak- Stop sale, Recall and Fixed
Timing Tensioner - Recall
Clutch cover screws- Stop sale, recall
Coils going bad - No recall, no real fix
Sharks fins breaking - Fixed

Did I miss anything? Good grief

· Registered
455 Posts
So my list for my 09 848

Condensation in the headlight lens. Fix was to drill a hole in the back plastic cover over the bulb/harness.

Voltage regulator failure issues. They put the VR right next to the exhaust sandwiched between that and the engine. Fix was a heat shield. VR still failed due to heat and the poor quality of the electronics. Fix was to replace with an alternative VR that's not factory that uses MOSFETs.

Radiator had a design flaw with the 08/09 models. The support bracket on the left side was not beefed up enough to carry the weight/stress. Eventually, it would cause a pin hole leak. Fix was the updated radiator in the model '10 years onward. Ducati wouldn't replace the radiator proactively. You had to have a failure to get the updated radiator free of charge. Oh and the radiator is $1k.

The big one is the plastic used in the fuel tanks for the superbikes and streetfighters. The tanks would fail/deform from Ethanol exposure. Ducati's fix? A tank made of the exact same material but made shorter to allow for the tank to expand. Ducati had an aluminum tank that would resolve the problem. But they chose to give the middle finger to us owners that asked for the aluminum tank as a replacement.

There are other issues I've had with my 848 that I don't know were just my bike or were endemic to all 848s: failed clutch master, failed immobilizer antenna ring, failed LEDs for the integral turn signal in the mirror, failed horizontal head gasket, and probably some other issues that are slipping my mind.

· Registered
7 Posts
Has anything developed with this? According to the “genius” I spoke to, there is still no remedy (which apparently is false) and there are rumors on the web from other model forums that expect mid/late November for fasteners to be available. My bike has been at the vpc since late September with an expected delivery to dealer the beginning of October. Truthfully, it doesn’t yield much confidence for a first time bmw owner that bolts could cause a 2+ month stagnation.

· Registered
8 Posts
I'm with you Willyg. My 22 is stuck in New Jersey at the processing plant awaiting the fix. My dealer also said they didn't have a timeline other than 'a few weeks out' which is what they told me at the beginning of the month.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts