BMW S1000RR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 bmw s1000rr with 36,000 miles. Had no problems with it except hot starts. Recently the hot start issue was all the time. Like the battery wasn't strong enough to start the bike. So I changed the battery and wow it worked great for about a week. And then back to not starting unless jump start or pop start. But battery still never seemed strong enough to start. Even After a long ride or the next morning. The last time it was running It jumped into neutral for a second and dropped it into 1st and it bogged out and died. Now all I can hear happening when I try to start it is a quiet click by the battery which I guess is the starter relay and that's it. So i changed the battery again ... and nothing just the click. Took off the rectifier and saw oil on the gray plug and inside the plug connector. Changed the rectifier today and still nothing just the click. Can someone please help me out? I also took off the stator cover and it looked good but I cant tell for sure. Is there supposed to be oil in the stator housing? On the wires? Is there something I can do to check if the stator is working? Can it be the starter motor? PLEASE HELP. SOS. GOING CRAZY WITHOUT MY BIKE. I hate driving automobiles.

Joey

·
Registered
913 Posts
have you got a multimeter? if not get one, if so use it after googling "how to test a regulator/rectifier" and "how to test a stator", one or the other is probably faulty.

·
Super Moderator
6,336 Posts
Your stator is cooked. You are bang on the mileage too. Ready to come out of the oven now. It's either shorted to ground or dropped a phase. Its normal for that mileage. Oil in the stator housing is normal and oil in the plugs is normal. A lot of people see oil in the plug and instantly assume that's the issue. You can check a new bike and there will be oil in there. It has no effect. I replaced my stators at around 50,000km in both my 2014 and 2016 bikes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the quick reply guys. I just ordered a new stator so I hope it fixes the problem. I have two new rectifiers so when I swap out the stator there will be a new rectifier also. I ride a lot and pretty much year round which is not easy in NYC. I'm also buying a new 2020 bmw s1000rr M package soon so my 2012 will be a back up. Thanks again. Will keep you posted.

Joey

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Will
have you got a multimeter? if not get one, if so use it after googling "how to test a regulator/rectifier" and "how to test a stator", one or the other is probably faulty.
Damn, that would be nice backup.
Thanks will do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok guys installed a new stator and rectifier and still nothing but the same exact click by the fuse box under the steat. What can it be?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm lost. I don't know what it can be. I thought for sure that it was the stator or rectifier.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't think it's the starter relay because the starter relay works when I switched it out with another one. Yes I did change the stator and regulator. Although there is a new kill switch installed last year at factory BMW on a recall. I did check all the connections under the tanks the Earth strep all of that work up until this point and all I hear is a Click by the starter relay fuse box when I press the start button and release it and another click. I'm taking it into BMW Saturday have them diagnose the problem instead of just throwing Parts at it but thank you guys for helping me out I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good luck bro. I hope it's something minor and cheap.
Thanks. . Me too. I'm dumbfounded. I changed the battery twice in two weeks tried 3 new rectifier/regulator, new stator/generator, disconnected my power commander, banged on my starter motor, checked all the wires, fuses and relays. Nothing works. Same faint click from the starter relay.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The last time my bike was running I hooked up my GS911 diagnostics tool and the file below is a record of what was going on before it died. Can someone make out anything from it?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,336 Posts
DME fault codes (6)
10314 : Balance-pipe valve servomotor currently present
10124 : Intake Air Temperature Sensor faulty currently present
10154 : Injector valve 5 currently not present
10233 : Starter Relay driver currently not present
10611 : Lean-Angle Sensor currently not present
10156 : Injector valve 7 currently not present

ABS fault codes (3)
59702 : No CAN message from DME (Vehicle Mode) currently not present
59701 : No CAN message (from DME) currently not present
25533 : Electrical system undervoltage currently not present

KOMBI fault codes (10)
37773 : CAN-bus error: No communication with ANY of the other control units (CAN bus Off) currently not present
37775 : CAN bus timeout: No communication with the ABS control unit currently not present
37776 : CAN-bus timeout: missing Vehicle Speed signal currently not present
37779 : CAN bus timeout: No communication with the Engine (BMS-K) control unit (ASC) currently not present
37780 : CAN bus timeout: No communication with the Engine (BMS-K) control unit currently not present
37782 : CAN bus timeout: No communication with the Engine (BMS-K) control unit (Driving Mode) currently not present
37784 : Discrepancy in values of total mileage (>100km) between BMS-KP and KOMBI (instrument cluster) currently present
37794 : Park light open circuit currently present
37802 : Fuel level sensor currently present

Can you please take a video showing the dash when you turn the key on and then press the starter button and try to start it. Then clear the fault codes on the GS911 and try to start the bike again. Then check fault codes to see what comes back.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts