BMW S1000RR Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

· Registered
650 Posts
same thing happened to me on my hp4 when it was new. happened on first 2 or 3 rides then went a way. I think it had to do with the wheel grease getting on the sensor.

· Registered
1,162 Posts
The only reason I'd be concerned and my bike taken to a dealer is because it's a serious fault if it shows on the display. !DDC has the other effect of the suspension pretty much locking up. I'm not good enough to ride any bike with a locked suspension.

· Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
Anyone get to the bottom of these random faults? I went out for a ride the other day and got the same thing. When I first started the bike, I noticed the warning. I turned the bike off and started it again. Still had the warning light, but I proceeded to ride to the bank. The bike felt fine on my way to the bank. When I finished at the bank, I started the bike and the light didn't come on. I rode the entire day with no problem. Still going to take it into the dealer to have it checked out.

I like all of the electronic features of these bike, but wonder it it's more to go wrong. I did a quick search and it looks like Zurich offers extended warranty. I'll look into it a little further.

· Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
Just got back from Bob's BMW. Brett, the only guy who works on S1000RR/HP4s, was able to find the problem.

Apparently the rear sensor wire runs against a regulator. It is so tight, it rubs, sometimes damaging the sensor wire. Even if the wire isn't damaged, it can send bad signals. I'll see if I can take a picture of it, but it is hard to get to, since it is behind the frame. You may want to add some slack so it doesn't rub. Another option is to add some wrapping.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

· Super Moderator
9,788 Posts
I was able to take some quick shots with my phone. If you shine a flash light between the case and the frame, on the right side, you will see a resistor. Running across that is a wire that is wrapped in cloth tape (for lack of technical term). If you look at the photo, you can see where the wire rubbed the resistor. Additionally, you can see where the wire is now that it has some slack.

Be sure to create some space between the wire and the resistor. You can do this by grabbing the wire from behind where the rear brake is. Let me know if you have any questions.

Skin Leg Arm Human leg Selfie

· Registered
225 Posts
I got mine back yesterday. The DDC control unit had failed. No other issues. It took 19 hours of diagnostic labor and a new module under warranty to get it fixed.

An interesting twist was that there is a special cable from BMW for the DDC diagnostic. The dealer should have received this when my bike was shipped. Instead BMW had to overnight the cable to the dealer. BMW also sent the DDC control unit overnight.

All in all Lonestar did a great job. Thanks guys.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
875 Posts
I had my light come on a couple times but only briefly and it was immediately after I took it in for a wash. rode the bike all day with no issues and currently has 1.5k miles give or take. the light would only flash briefly when I would slow down for a turn then go right back off. when I washed it, I sprayed some brakeleen on the wheels to get all the chain grease off, so my guess is, some gunk or water got on the sensor and was causing the issue. Unfortunately im out of state until April 23rd so I wont be able to ride it again until then to see if the issue still exists. If it does, I will take it in, if it does not I will chalk it up to an issue with the sensor getting wet/dirty.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.