BMW S1000RR Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
$40 one time adjustment, or throughout the day at a track day event. (As he is available) Ive rarely seen him available for more than a 2 minute clicker tickle.

Ive learned that Ill let him set the sag on a new bike, but after that I'm on my own.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've watched the full video too.

I'm happy to side with Dave Moss. In this video he is providing base level setups to get bikes working in a better range and using previous experience with the DDC to set the damping more effectively.

For $40-50 that exact what I would expect, and only with a proper track coaching session would I want a tailored approach.

Some of these riders are returning for a check on their settings. Others are straight off the track and trying different levels of damping to get better FEEL. Some simply have no idea about suspension and want someone to wave a magic suspension wand to give them some mental support that their bike is working optimally.

The only issue I saw in the video was that the "calibration" function didn't appear to be used after the preload changes.

Dave is full of BS. He adjusted my RR when I was in Cali and made it worse. Nothing beats a race shop on/off track with the know-how to do suspension setup baseline. Each track will require different adjustments; Going from VIR to Barber required 8 clicks difference on the shock (rebound/comp).
How did he make it worse? Was it lap times, your feeling on the bike? Was it the DDC? Did you provide correct information on how you felt on the bike? Broad statements liks this don't hold any credibility unless you provide further info...

Wow. He has such a following I thought he knew his sh!t. Now that you mention it, I did notice he has a certain number of clicks in or out thT he likes to set things to regardless of what brand forks/shock you have.
In this video he's only using DDC suspension.

I would just like a down and dirty, easy to understand description of how to EXACTLY set the sag, front and rear. I think that is the first thing that I need to do.
Craig
Not to offend Craig, but because of your lack of knowledge on suspension, you're the type of rider these quicker setups are aimed at.

Getting your sag in the ballpark, checking if rebound is suitable and checking the range of fork use for compression. This is still much better than a bike fully out of adjustment even if it isn't perfect.

And, there has to be an element of self education too - the tuner can't provide a full lesson to each person on suspension setup.

·
Registered
688 Posts
The best bet is to return to him and tell him what you felt while lapping your bike. He will likely make adjustments. There are no magical silver bullets to suspension. If you give no input and expect a perfect answer. No one can help you apart from you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Not to offend Craig, but because of your lack of knowledge on suspension, you're the type of rider these quicker setups are aimed at.

Getting your sag in the ballpark, checking if rebound is suitable and checking the range of fork use for compression. This is still much better than a bike fully out of adjustment even if it isn't perfect.

And, there has to be an element of self education too - the tuner can't provide a full lesson to each person on suspension setup.
No offense taken.

Craig

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
The best bet is to return to him and tell him what you felt while lapping your bike. He will likely make adjustments. There are no magical silver bullets to suspension. If you give no input and expect a perfect answer. No one can help you apart from you.
Agree 100%. Whether it's Jim, Dave Or Jason, their ability to help is only as good as your ability to specifically articulate the problem and which corners it occurs..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Agree 100%. Whether it's Jim, Dave Or Jason, their ability to help is only as good as your ability to specifically articulate the problem and which corners it occurs..
Hi Guys,

suspension tuning will make your bike completely different and will make you a better rider as the bike behaves correctly.

I have an old Aprilla 2009 and watching dave's videos and sending him emails, he helped me transform it into a ridable machine that did not try to knock me out of the seat on every bump.

I paid 40 quid to join online and get access to the full video where he explains and you hear the measurements .... the videos on youtube are mainly trailers to the service.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts